BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-21-2022, 09:02 AM   #23
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

I've got a similar issue. We moved to a house with a narrower door but room once inside. There is room to pull into the garage with the X5, but it is pretty tight getting past the door.

I solved the issue by doing a couple of things:
  1. I parked the X5 exactly where I wanted it in the garage with room to close behind.
  2. I hung a tennis ball from a string from the garage ceiling and place the tennis ball so when I pull in straight I'm looking directly at it in front of me.
  3. As soon as the tennis ball touches the window, right between my eyes while looking foward, I stop the car.
  4. Before I enter the garage, I fold in the mirrors, giving me plenty of extra room.

When I exit the garage, I simply back out without moving the steering wheel until I am clear of the garage opening. I've used the auto back up feature and it works great, but in my case it is not necessary. If I pull in straight, I just back up the same way.

The buzzers and bells go off but I've learned to ignore them. Once I got the hang of parking this way, it's no problem at all.

The tennis ball gives an excellent visual reference.

Once I'm out of the garage, I unfold the mirrors and off I go. If I forget to unfold, the mirrors open automatically when the vehicle reaches 25 mph.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
E91toG05348.00
      06-25-2023, 02:08 PM   #24
Flaneur
Rep
Drives: 4runner

Does the pre-LCI Reverse assistant work in the following situation: Garage is so narrow that I have to pull in with mirrors in-- which leaves about 2" or less on either side. Backing out myself would be very difficult with the mirrors in. I've gotten used to it with my other car- there is even less room, but with mirrors out it is possible to drive out myself.

I think I read somewhere there is a point where it is too tight and the Reverse Assistant shuts itself off? But I can't find that reference anywhere- maybe I'm misremembering.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 03:52 PM   #25
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Why not just try it? You always can hit the brakes and it will stop if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 06:09 PM   #26
Flaneur
Rep
Drives: 4runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Why not just try it? You always can hit the brakes and it will stop if necessary.
I don't own one yet. I've test driven to my house just to make sure it will actually fit in the garage. I started looking a few weeks ago (learned a lot here) and am trying to buy something very soon. Torn between CPO and LCI. On the CPO's, it's surprisingly difficult to find an X5 with both DAP and the Parking Package, no less the other things on the list I hope to find. So I was wondering if the Reverse Assistant would even work in my situation. If not, I can cross off the importance of the Parking Package for me and it opens up more potential cars. The 360 camera is still cool and useful, but I just haven't been finding the right cars yet.

I live in the SF bay area and I think there are ten BMW dealers within an hour and a half but I think I was unrealistic about my time frame to find what I want.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 09:34 PM   #27
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

For the life of me I can't understand why Parking Assistant 360 view goes blurry if mirrors are folded in when it's based off the cameras on the vehicle. In a scenario like this where the spot's so narrow that you gotta fold-in that's when the 360 view is needed most. Fortunately my spot's not too narrow to need to fold-in, but I definitely feel for you guys that are cutting it ultra close when pulling in.
      06-25-2023, 09:49 PM   #28
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMthusiast View Post
For the life of me I can't understand why Parking Assistant 360 view goes blurry if mirrors are folded in when it's based off the cameras on the vehicle. In a scenario like this where the spot's so narrow that you gotta fold-in that's when the 360 view is needed most. Fortunately my spot's not too narrow to need to fold-in, but I definitely feel for you guys that are cutting it ultra close when pulling in.
the side views are captured by the cameras within the side view mirrors, so when those move, the views are completely different when the side mirrors are folded-in versus folded-out, thus the images can’t be stitched together to get a 360 view that makes sense

in reality, 360 view isn’t accurate enough to rely on when navigating close quarters since it’s just a rendered image, and the surrounding images are distorted. best to rely on line-of sight, real-time camera views, and sensor input
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2023, 11:18 AM   #29
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

There's a camera under each rear-view mirror...folding it would skew the view nearly 90 degrees, so they don't use it then.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 02:44 PM   #30
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Since the side mirrors are further back (closer to the center of the vehicle)…by the time you get to the point you need to fold them in…the PDC sensors should be screaming constantly…so you should have already slowed down to check which side (check the display showing up in red) to see that you’re dangerously close to hitting something and possibly knocking the mirrors off the side of the vehicle.

BTW, as I type this…I’m sitting at McD’s and I can see my car with the mirrors folded in…and in this position, they (the mirrors) are NOT the furthest thing sticking out. So if I needed them to park, I would have already done damage to another part of the car. If I’m not mistaken, it is probably the same way on my f15…so it may be the same on the g05, too (the mirrors are not the furthest thing sticking out when they are folded inward).
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 03:21 PM   #31
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post

BTW, as I type this…I’m sitting at McD’s and I can see my car with the mirrors folded in…and in this position, they (the mirrors) are NOT the furthest thing sticking out. So if I needed them to park, I would have already done damage to another part of the car. If I’m not mistaken, it is probably the same way on my f15…so it may be the same on the g05, too (the mirrors are not the furthest thing sticking out when they are folded inward).
It's debatable via a quick pic I just took. My mirrors are folded in. I wouldn't want to find out the hard way

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 04:12 PM   #32
RetSurfer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Interesting,

I have always backed into my garage looking solely at the passenger side mirror. Figure if that’s right the rest follows. Now, with the charger on the wall next to the driver’s side I continue to back in.

I do have the parking package and tried it several times with no luck. Every other time I tried it I had to punch the brakes and manually back it in.

Definitely NOT meant for backing into a garage…
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 04:27 PM   #33
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

In my case, once I identify the proper location of the car in garage, I roll straight out about, then put vinyl tape on floor lining up with the backup track line in reverse camera along the entire length of garage. When I get home, I just line up and back in. So far so good
      06-26-2023, 06:10 PM   #34
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

I put something similar to this https://www.amazon.com/Maxsa-Innovat...%2C107&sr=8-11 once I figured out where it was best, then, using the camera, line up on it. Lots of choices.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 07:09 PM   #35
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I’ve always backed into my garage but have to come in at an angle then straighten out once the front ends clears my side of the garage opening. luckily, I don’t have to fold my mirrors in. I have a tire stopper (looks like a small curb) that I line up with the passenger rear tire while using the passenger side mirror. then when it’s out of sight of the mirror, I line it up with the reverse camera line that indicates the tire path and position. it’s like “calling the ball.”
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 01:30 AM   #36
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

my setup. I back in by lining up the back up tracking line. And when I see my rear bumper touch the tape in the back, I stop. Please don't mind that lone sandal.
Attached Images

06-27-2023, 02:41 AM   #37
niehms
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: F15

Beautiful SetUp, especially the sandal. As of today I will use the Sandal-Stop in my garage as well
Appreciate 1