GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Pull tabs, and why you should never dispose of them inside the can until *after* you have finished consuming the contents.

Church keys, and the art of punching a small hole on the opposite side of the can lid as an air vent to help the liquid pour out faster and smoother.

Get off my lawn kid, and take that juice box with you!!!!!

I remember old soda vending machines would have pull tab disposal slot to prevent people from littering.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615280.00
      06-14-2020, 02:28 AM   #882
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Pull tabs, and why you should never dispose of them inside the can until *after* you have finished consuming the contents.

Church keys, and the art of punching a small hole on the opposite side of the can lid as an air vent to help the liquid pour out faster and smoother.

Get off my lawn kid, and take that juice box with you!!!!!

My college roommate and I drank enough Coors to make a pull tab chain that was 54 feet long. We decided it would be super cool to drape this chain on the wall of our apartment with nails and make a design out if it: Think crappy piece of art. One time I invited my Mom over for dinner and I very proudly showed her our artwork. She was unimpressed!
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615280.00
3798j11413.50
      06-20-2020, 09:30 AM   #883
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

For your viewing pleasure:
You know you are old when you find a pic like this & say, "Not bad...."
Troop 1 (we only had one troop!), 1967 or '68.
Not telling which is me, but I'm not in the top row!

Murf
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      06-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #884
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
For your viewing pleasure:
You know you are old when you find a pic like this & say, "Not bad...."
Troop 1 (we only had one troop!), 1967 or '68.
Not telling which is me, but I'm not in the top row!

Murf

True story....I wanted to join the Boy Scouts when younger.....until my parents seen the "dues" and initial costs.

I just played it off like it was no big deal.....as I had done with so many other things. I learned at an early age that if I "whined" about stuff we couldn't afford....all it would do was cause an argument between my parents. I didn't want them fighting.

I work with a guy who was raised in the scouts. Now he plays a big role as an organizer and troop leader....and he takes it very seriously. He is a good guy.

I now sponsor kids that want to join....but otherwise might not be able to.
Littlebear3509.50
vreihen1615280.00
MKSixer34184.50
      06-20-2020, 10:37 AM   #885
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
True story....I wanted to join the Boy Scouts when younger.....until my parents seen the "dues" and initial costs.

I just played it off like it was no big deal.....as I had done with so many other things. I learned at an early age that if I "whined" about stuff we couldn't afford....all it would do was cause an argument between my parents. I didn't want them fighting.

I work with a guy who was raised in the scouts. Now he plays a big role as an organizer and troop leader....and he takes it very seriously. He is a good guy.

I now sponsor kids that want to join....but otherwise might not be able to.
Same here. Wanted to join, but it wasn't in the budget. When I look back now and think about how my single income parents (Dad was a truck driver/dispatcher) did with 5 kids, I'm amazed. And I carry a lot of guilt about how much whining we did as kids because we couldn't do certain things or have things we wanted. I wanted to play in the youth hockey league as well, but same issue. Hockey is a pricey sport, especially for me as I wanted to be a goalie.

Still, we had a pop-up tent trailer and went camping all the time. And we had an above ground pool in the backyard. We had it pretty good as kids. My parents knew how to budget, for sure.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 3
Littlebear3509.50
Rmtt8211.00
Soul_Glo13347.00
      06-20-2020, 10:44 AM   #886
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

I'm not sure why, but cost didn't seem a big deal. Most all kids & families had camping equipment in my town. It was very rural!
My troop had two big fundraisers a year: Fruitcakes around holiday time, and lightbulbs. Everyone would buy some lightbulbs, fruitcakes were a harder sell. The scouts sold door to door, walking the back roads.

Murf

PS: Did your 'rents cheap out on little league, too?!?!

Last edited by Littlebear; 06-20-2020 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 02:33 PM   #887
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure why, but cost didn't seem a big deal. Most all kids & families had camping equipment in my town. It was very rural!
My troop had two big fundraisers a year: Fruitcakes around holiday time, and lightbulbs. Everyone would buy some lightbulbs, fruitcakes were a harder sell. The scouts sold door to door, walking the back roads.

Murf

PS: Did your 'rents cheap out on little league, too?!?!
Honestly if it involved a fee such as clothing or equipment....I didn't do it. If it involved a monthly fee....I didn't do it. I know I say we were poor a lot....but I can't really describe how it really was.

One income family....nether parents graduated HS....so usually low paying job although my dad put his hours in and never turned down OT. We lived on assisted housing in the projects in my area.

One thing I was fortunate enough to do was box. My dad was a professional boxer for awhile before he met my mom. So I had a pair of gloves on me by age 5. Plus they could drop me off at the gym in the summer as the guy knew my dad....and it was basically free childcare.

I trained under a guy that went the distance with Roy Jones Jr. In Madison Square Gardens during his career.

So while I didn't get to do a lot of stuff, I took advantage of things I could although it ultimately got me into trouble later.

I boxed around the amateur circuit for awhile until I started lifting weights. Found out I had pretty good genetics for that as I gained 30lbs in about 4 months.

But it screwed up my boxing as I moved up too many weight classes. Then I was fighting with people that were 5+ inches taller than me.

After eating punches to get inside because of "reach" issues.....I decided I liked the shape of my nose better and gave it up although I still hit the bags as a cardio workout.
King Rudi13154.00
      06-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #888
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Same here. Wanted to join, but it wasn't in the budget. When I look back now and think about how my single income parents (Dad was a truck driver/dispatcher) did with 5 kids, I'm amazed. And I carry a lot of guilt about how much whining we did as kids because we couldn't do certain things or have things we wanted. I wanted to play in the youth hockey league as well, but same issue. Hockey is a pricey sport, especially for me as I wanted to be a goalie.

Still, we had a pop-up tent trailer and went camping all the time. And we had an above ground pool in the backyard. We had it pretty good as kids. My parents knew how to budget, for sure.
I understand. I would tell my brother to not whine because I knew what would happen.....but it seemed like he didn't care at the time as long as he got what he wanted.

Looking back....I was pretty rough on him when he wouldn't fall in line.
      06-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #889
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Same here. Wanted to join, but it wasn't in the budget. When I look back now and think about how my single income parents (Dad was a truck driver/dispatcher) did with 5 kids, I'm amazed....
My mom, 3 boys, 1 girl, dad stopping by on Sundays (he was a "Mad Men" character), really wanted us to get the quasi-military discipline of the boy scouts.
Unfortunately, I was thrown out for renting a Playboy mag from one of those top-row guys in the above picture at camp that year.

"After eating punches to get inside because of "reach" issues.....I decided I liked the shape of my nose better and gave it up although I still hit the bags as a cardio workout."

That's one of the reasons I tended towards wrestling when young. I'm the prettiest one in the above camp pic.

Murf

PS: Want to say who did 15 (edit: 12) with Roy? He was great!

Last edited by Littlebear; 06-20-2020 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      06-20-2020, 04:25 PM   #890
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My mom, 3 boys, 1 girl, dad stopping by on Sundays (he was a "Mad Men" character), really wanted us to get the quasi-military discipline of the boy scouts.
Unfortunately, I was thrown out for renting a Playboy mag from one of those top-row guys in the above picture at camp that year.

"After eating punches to get inside because of "reach" issues.....I decided I liked the shape of my nose better and gave it up although I still hit the bags as a cardio workout."

That's one of the reasons I tended towards wrestling when young. I'm the prettiest one in the above camp pic.

Murf

PS: Want to say who did 15 (edit: 12) with Roy? He was great!
David Telesco. He was friends with Billy Mitchum who owned our gym and fought Jones as well although I think he got knocked out in the 4th round or so. He would come down and train with us.

But he was really instrumental in Donna Biggers. She was a Featherweight that held world titles in a few organizations.

I was actually a sparring partner for her for a bit. Mainly pushing her into corners...or trying to so she could work on that aspect of the game.

I had a hard head...lol. She didn't hit hard, but she was quick. But I bet she hurt once those heavy training gloves came off!
      06-20-2020, 05:19 PM   #891
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
David Telesco. He was friends with Billy Mitchum who owned our gym and fought Jones as well although I think he got knocked out in the 4th round or so. He would come down and train with us.

But he was really instrumental in Donna Biggers. She was a Featherweight that held world titles in a few organizations.

I was actually a sparring partner for her for a bit. Mainly pushing her into corners...or trying to so she could work on that aspect of the game.

I had a hard head...lol. She didn't hit hard, but she was quick. But I bet she hurt once those heavy training gloves came off!
Very cool! I see both those guys on Jone's record. I was hoping you would say Vinnie Paz, but he only lasted 6!

Are you my brother from another mother? I used to do light sparring at Gleason's with a woman friend. She was quick, and could almost always get her punch in. I was scared she would hurt me....

Murf
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      06-20-2020, 06:41 PM   #892
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Very cool! I see both those guys on Jone's record. I was hoping you would say Vinnie Paz, but he only lasted 6!

Are you my brother from another mother? I used to do light sparring at Gleason's with a woman friend. She was quick, and could almost always get her punch in. I was scared she would hurt me....

Murf
Lol....Donna was a holy terror. They would tell me get in the ring and push her, try to corner her and cut the ring off.

She would pop you 3x in succession before you knew what hit you. I can't imagine her speed in gloves that were half the weight of our sparring gloves.

We were basically just moving punching bags for her.

Tough woman!
      06-20-2020, 07:01 PM   #893
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Seems appropriate for this thread.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
vreihen1615280.00
Dpc2u11503.00
M_Six16963.50
Rmtt8211.00
Littlebear3509.50
bobowar1353479.00
Soul_Glo13347.00
      06-22-2020, 09:14 AM   #894
jiu88
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Do you drink the hotdog water too? It's free at Costco
Yes, I want to try once.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #895
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiu88 View Post
Yes, I want to try once.
tell us more about your chevy
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 08:40 PM   #896
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

..when you remember classic add slogans like:

"promise her anything, but give her Arpege"

Murf (25 yrs in advertising)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 09:43 PM   #897
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Don't know if today's kids still do it, but we used to climb trees.
Appreciate 6
Rmtt8211.00
Littlebear3509.50
Dpc2u11503.00
vreihen1615280.00
King Rudi13154.00
cmyx6go15761.00
      06-23-2020, 04:49 AM   #898
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
Don't know if today's kids still do it, but we used to climb trees.
That was my escape. We had this one big Cedar tree in the neighborhood. It allowed easy access to a very high position if you were not afraid of heights.

I would sit in the top of that thing for hours as you could see for miles.
rwheels7066.50
      06-23-2020, 08:01 AM   #899
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
That was my escape. We had this one big Cedar tree in the neighborhood. It allowed easy access to a very high position if you were not afraid of heights.

I would sit in the top of that thing for hours as you could see for miles.
Yeah did same. However we lived next to black hills in deadwood. Lot of trees.
Appreciate 2
rwheels7066.50
Rmtt8211.00
      06-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #900
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Yeah did same. However we lived next to black hills in deadwood. Lot of trees.
LOL...I used to sit and watch the neighborhood Wino's try to make it across a 4 lane highway to the ABC store.

It was like watching the video game "Frogger".
      06-23-2020, 10:20 AM   #901
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
LOL...I used to sit and watch the neighborhood Wino's try to make it across a 4 lane highway to the ABC store.

It was like watching the video game "Frogger".
Back then we also knew them as hobos. But I can imagine the laughs you had, and hopefully none got hurt in the process.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      06-23-2020, 10:30 AM   #902
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
Back then we also knew them as hobos. But I can imagine the laughs you had, and hopefully none got hurt in the process.
Yeah...no one got hurt that I ever seen. Most people in cars were just driving through as it wasn't a place you would stop if you weren't from that area.

But that block was crazy. There was always someone in the road...people everywhere. Older side of town....lots of different things going on.