BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-05-2020, 11:51 PM   #1
mrichione
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Apple CarKey

Looks like digital key compatibility may soon be coming to iOS.

Apple released a developer beta today of iOS 13.4, which includes a new CarKey feature that allows NFC-based locking, unlocking, engine start, key sharing, and more for compatible vehicles.

This could mean the digital key feature exclusive to select Android devices since launch could soon makes its way to iPhones as well... whenever BMW takes advantage of the new API and updates their app, of course.
Appreciate 1
mnewnam268.00
      06-09-2020, 06:10 PM   #2
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed the Digital Key in Connect wasn't compatible with iOS. I stumbled upon Apple's CarKey and it may explain why BMW never incorporated the feature directly into BMW Connect when they rolled out the Android version, as they've been working with Apple all along.

Looking forward to this assuming it gets rolled out with iOS 14.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/03/23/ios-14-bmw-carkey/

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/03/29/bmw-apple-carkey/
Appreciate 2
      06-10-2020, 06:59 AM   #3
DCwell3er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05

Garage List
Yeah I hope this comes with the next iOS later this year! Also, I'm wondering if I would have to have the phone out and unlocked to open/start the vehicle. I assume so since I'd have to unlock the phone for it to work.
      06-10-2020, 07:39 AM   #4
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Don't forget those of us who want to open/close with our iW.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 08:12 AM   #5
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

If BMW's implementation supports Express mode it could allow car unlock without phone unlock, so keep it in your pocket.

Will probably be part of wallet, like a Digital Key(s) for 1 or more cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 09:16 AM   #6
DCwell3er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
If BMW's implementation supports Express mode it could allow car unlock without phone unlock, so keep it in your pocket.

Will probably be part of wallet, like a Digital Key(s) for 1 or more cars.
I hope this is the case. I wouldn't want to have my phone out just to use comfort access when I can use the key fob for this.
      06-10-2020, 12:33 PM   #7
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

iOS 14 dev beta should drop in a few weeks following WWDC, I'm curious if it will work out of the box or if we will have to wait for BMW to do something.
      06-10-2020, 08:41 PM   #8
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

I just read another article where this would only work with iPhones that had the ultra wideband chip (i.e., iPhone 11 or newer). Can anyone confirm this?

Bah humbug if true as I have the iPhone Xs...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 11:44 AM   #9
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
I just read another article where this would only work with iPhones that had the ultra wideband chip (i.e., iPhone 11 or newer). Can anyone confirm this?

Bah humbug if true as I have the iPhone Xs...
Hmph, not sure. The below info from an article doesn't say it's required, just that it can be used with the 3.0 spec:

--------------
Companies including Apple and BMW can already support Digital Key Release 2.0, and new features in version 3.0 will further enhance the experience:

The Digital Key Release 3.0 specification will enhance Digital Key Release 2.0 by adding passive, location-aware keyless access. Rather than having to pull their mobile devices out to access a car, consumers will be able to leave their mobile device in their bag or pocket when accessing and/or starting their vehicle. Passive access is not only vastly more convenient and a better overall user experience, it also allows vehicles to offer new location-aware features.

To support these new features, the CCC is developing a specification based on Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) in combination with Ultra-Wideband (UWB) to enable passive keyless access and to allow secure and accurate positioning.

Ultra-wideband required?
Relevant for Apple, version 3.0 will take advantage of the UWB, or ultra-wideband chip, introduced to iPhones with the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max. Apple has only used the UWB chip for a minor enhancement to its AirDrop wireless data transfer feature.
      06-11-2020, 07:38 PM   #10
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

Yeah, the article I read pretty much summarized the same requirement, which to me reads that the ultra wideband chip is required for the Digital Key.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2020, 09:29 PM   #11
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
Yeah, the article I read pretty much summarized the same requirement, which to me reads that the ultra wideband chip is required for the Digital Key.
It seems that the 3.0 spec where you can leave it in your pocket etc. has the UWB requirement. The car likely has 2.0 spec, hence the dummy digital key, unless that somehow has a powered UWB chip. I also assume there’s some degree of backwards compatibility.

It’s possible Apple may only support 3.0 spec (if my understanding of the post above is right), which would be lame if BMW only supports 2.0 spec.

Edit, more info:
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...on?language=en

The second generation (release 2.0) of an NFC-based digital key ecosystem has been announced for late 2019. A key feature is the use of a security chip that works separately from the smartphone operating system. This means it also works if the smartphone cannot be started anymore, because the battery is too low. In the near future, Digital Key specification will be enhanced by the ultra-wideband (UWB)-based release 3.0. This will offer maximum anti-theft protection and enable precise localisation between the device and the vehicle. As a result, the mobile phone must no longer be held directly up to the door handle to unlock the car, but can conveniently be left in the pocket. The BMW Group recognised early that UWB technology would be beneficial over the long term and suitable for global market penetration. The close cooperation with partners and the fact that UWB is already finding its way into more and more customer devices will pave the way for new and innovative Digital Key features.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 07:44 AM   #12
Xeno
Major
Rep

"Near future"? Like on the same calendar about OTAs in the USA?

Is someone at BMW addicted to the notion that a 'thousand years is but a day' kind of logic?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 05:37 PM   #13
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Bit more info found in 13.5.1:

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/15...cy-ios-13-5-1/

Wallet allows you to add and share car keys for certain vehicles. You may add a car key by signing in to your vehicle manufacturer's app or entering a pairing code in Wallet to claim the vehicle as your own and to pair your device with your vehicle. If successful, your device sends Apple a one-time owner redemption token. Apple uses the redemption token, information about your Apple account and your device, and your location at the time of provisioning (if Location Services is enabled) for fraud prevention purposes.

To set up your car key, Apple shares a unique device identifier with your vehicle manufacturer. This device identifier is different for each vehicle manufacturer to help protect your privacy. Your vehicle manufacturer may connect this device identifier with other information it has about you and will process information it has about you according to its privacy policy.

You may share car keys by tapping Invite on the back of your car key pass, selecting the access type that you would like to grant, and sharing the car key pass using iMessage. To help set up and manage car key passes, Apple forwards to the vehicle manufacturer information about with whom a pass is shared and what level of access was granted. Apple also shares a unique device identifier for the pass recipient with the vehicle manufacturer to enable them to manage your pass. For pass recipients, just as with owners, the vehicle manufacturer may connect the device identifier with other information it may have about the recipient and process such information according to its privacy policy.

Apple does not collect or retain information on vehicle usage, such as when you use your car key pass to lock or unlock the vehicle. Your vehicle manufacturer may collect vehicle usage information according to agreements you have with them. We encourage you to review your vehicle manufacturer's privacy policy for more information.
pho116.00
      06-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #14
micmitch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2018 Accord

This could be very amazing.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 07:00 PM   #15
Wxnatscaps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i Arctic Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post

Wallet allows you to add and share car keys for certain vehicles. You may add a car key by signing in to your vehicle manufacturer's app or entering a pairing code in Wallet to claim the vehicle as your own and to pair your device with your vehicle. If successful, your device sends Apple a one-time owner redemption token. Apple uses the redemption token, information about your Apple account and your device, and your location at the time of provisioning (if Location Services is enabled) for fraud prevention purposes.

To set up your car key, Apple shares a unique device identifier with your vehicle manufacturer. This device identifier is different for each vehicle manufacturer to help protect your privacy. Your vehicle manufacturer may connect this device identifier with other information it has about you and will process information it has about you according to its privacy policy.

You may share car keys by tapping Invite on the back of your car key pass, selecting the access type that you would like to grant, and sharing the car key pass using iMessage. To help set up and manage car key passes, Apple forwards to the vehicle manufacturer information about with whom a pass is shared and what level of access was granted. Apple also shares a unique device identifier for the pass recipient with the vehicle manufacturer to enable them to manage your pass. For pass recipients, just as with owners, the vehicle manufacturer may connect the device identifier with other information it may have about the recipient and process such information according to its privacy policy.

Apple does not collect or retain information on vehicle usage, such as when you use your car key pass to lock or unlock the vehicle. Your vehicle manufacturer may collect vehicle usage information according to agreements you have with them. We encourage you to review your vehicle manufacturer's privacy policy for more information.
It could launch next week on WWDC and be ready for 13.6 instead of having to wait until September when iOS 14 is released. I’m excited for WWDC next week since BMW is rumored to be a launch partner.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 08:24 PM   #16
adamjs83
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 X7

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxnatscaps View Post
Quote:

It could launch next week on WWDC and be ready for 13.6 instead of having to wait until September when iOS 14 is released. I’m excited for WWDC next week since BMW is rumored to be a launch partner.
Is there any reason to think this will be available on existing cars and not just future models?
2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 08:31 PM   #17
Xeno
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjs83 View Post
Is there any reason to think this will be available on existing cars and not just future models?
We paid for it as in my 11/11/18 build.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 08:32 PM   #18
adamjs83
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 X7

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Quote:
We paid for it as in my 11/11/18 build.
Specifically Apple?
2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 12:08 AM   #19
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh nice! Was not aware, just assumed it’d be a 14 launch feature. 13.6 is only at beta 2 and we generally see 5-6 beta releases before gm, but who knows. All I know is that all of these updates make my life a living hell!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 12:11 AM   #20
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Specifically Apple?
It’s not specific to Apple. Apple is part of a consortium behind the standard of digital (nfc) keys for vehicles. Vehicles need to be equipped with it, but if your car supports the BMW digital key there’s no reason for it not to support iPhones (though which iPhones can do it will be up to Apple). The ultra wide band chips in the iPhone 11 bring additional functionality so who knows. Hopefully BMW won’t require vehicle programming to make it work.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 06:38 AM   #21
Xeno
Major
Rep

Quote:
Specifically Apple?
It worked for Android from the start.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #22
Wxnatscaps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i Arctic Grey

Quote:
Quote:
Oh nice! Was not aware, just assumed it’d be a 14 launch feature. 13.6 is only at beta 2 and we generally see 5-6 beta releases before gm, but who knows. All I know is that all of these updates make my life a living hell!
If they do announce next week which is widely expected and the language is already in the 13.6 privacy policy, I'd guess we're within a few weeks of seeing this go live.
Appreciate 0