BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-02-2023, 12:56 PM   #1
docpowell
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 M60i, X3 30i, X5 35d, 335d

Front bumper marker (reflector) replacement - RED Reflector???

I have seen Euro clear front markers and plenty of painted ones, but has anyone installed or found a replacement front marker that is red reflective vice amber, clear or painted? For the G05/G06.

I have a 24 G06 M60i IoM green w/red calipers on the way....I would like to swap these out prior to getting the PPF done.

I think with the red calipers, rear red reflectors and taillights, the red reflectors would look good and still meet the reflective element of the rules (although I have never heard of anyone having issues for these being painter or absent, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 01:49 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by docpowell View Post
I have seen Euro clear front markers and plenty of painted ones, but has anyone installed or found a replacement front marker that is red reflective vice amber, clear or painted? For the G05/G06.

I have a 24 G06 M60i IoM green w/red calipers on the way....I would like to swap these out prior to getting the PPF done.

I think with the red calipers, rear red reflectors and taillights, the red reflectors would look good and still meet the reflective element of the rules (although I have never heard of anyone having issues for these being painter or absent, etc.)
reflective, yes. color, no.

while it may match your intended color scheme, placing red reflectors on or near the front end of a U.S. vehicle is in direct violation of NHTSA FMVSS regulations. red reflectors can only be placed on or near the rear of the vehicle

every state’s regulations differ. in Virginia, vehicles go through a yearly inspection. I originally had painted front reflectors and failed inspection. I would’ve failed it if they were painted or clear or tinted. essentially altering the original amber in any way is cause for failing inspection. while I likely would’ve never been pulled over by a cop for reflector deletes, i didn’t want to deal with the inconvenience of changing them out twice a year to meet state inspection requirements

reflectors are considered vehicle safety equipment. a cop can pull you over for improper safety equipment. insurance can fail to cover you if the lack of proper safety equipment was the cause of the accident.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 03:30 PM   #3
docpowell
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks for not answering the question. I am familiar that various states have different rules, I am in Colorado now and we only have emissions testing requirements from an inspection standpoint. However, if your vehicle appears to a police officer to be operating in an unsafe manner for any reason, they may cite you, but it must be in accordance to law.

If you failed inspection for a painted front reflector, then, so be it, but I don't know what regulation that would have been applied under in Virginia. For US production, manufactures place yellow (amber) front markers as a standard, however it is not in violation of any regulation to change them, unless your vehicle becomes a commercial vehicle. You can now even option duallys without clearance lights as they are not required unless the truck is used as a commercial vehicle.

So rather than responding with non-applicable regulations, you could just offer you personal experience with failing a safety inspection due to a painted reflector or other similar insight. But when you incorrectly attempt to apply regulations and laws from the commercial vehicle industry to every vehicle on the road in an attempt to appear intelligent, you achieve the opposite.

Have a great day.

DOT FMCSA is not applicable to passenger vehicles, only commercial vehicles.

"You are subject to FMCSA regulations if you operate any of the following types of commercial motor vehicles in interstate commerce:

A vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating (whichever is greater) of 4,537 kg (10,001 lbs.) or more (GVWR, GCWR, GVW or GCW)
A vehicle designed or used to transport between 9 and 15 passengers (including the driver) for compensation, whether direct or indirect
A vehicle designed or used to transport 15 or more passengers including the driver and not used for compensation
Any size vehicle used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act (49 U.S.C. 5101 et seq.) and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR Parts 100-177). This includes INTRASTATE Hazardous Materials carriers."
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 04:39 PM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
good luck finding front bumper red reflectors. a company like IND-Distribution would know if any exist

placing them there would be a public road safety violation. i never said DoT FMCSA. to operate your vehicle on a public roadway it must be "street legal" which means fully compliant with FMVSS. every car is required to have an amber reflector on both sides of the front of the car and must have two red reflectors on the rear of the car (not the front).

if you find some and install them, you wouldn’t be street legal in any U.S. state, not just Colorado.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 06:01 PM   #5
docpowell
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Congrats on editing your post. You absolutely wrote DoT FMCSA.
Replacement RED front reflectors are available for many vehicles to include the X5, I just have not found a set for the G05. That was the question.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 06:54 PM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by docpowell View Post
Congrats on editing your post. You absolutely wrote DoT FMCSA.
Replacement RED front reflectors are available for many vehicles to include the X5, I just have not found a set for the G05. That was the question.
welcome to the forum. since you’re unfamiliar, the desktop version of this forum will notate if I’ve edited my post. if you go there, you will see there is no such notation.

as for the front red bumper reflectors, why would I even direct you to other models than the G05/G06?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 07:53 PM   #7
docpowell
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I have been a member since 2011, just a tad longer than you, so thank you for the welcome. I just do not need to continuously troll on a forum with incorrect information.

Have a great day.
Appreciate 0