BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-01-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Exporting drive recorder to USB

Ok..... I've posted about this before, but it was a long time ago, and I just realized today that the issue is still happening.

When you record (or the car automatically records) a video using the drive recorder function (which works perfectly by the way).

I want to be able to export the video on to a USB drive. I had a previous USB drive ( with all my music from previous BMW on it).... but "export to USB" was visible, but greyed out and I couldn't choose it.

I put a brand new, empty, usb drive in the cupholder area today..... same problem as before.

I can "save" a video.

I can "export" a video (although I have no idea where it exported it to)

But I cannot select "USB" when I choose export.

I can play recorded videos on my idrive screen all day long, but I need to be able to export them to a USB, so I can hand the USB to a cop if I'm ever in an accident.

Anyone have any ideas why I can't export to usb?
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #2
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Are you using a Mac or PC to format? I had all sorts of issues trying to get it correct, but if you're on a Mac here's what I did:

Format: ExFAT
Partition Map: Master Boot Record

Disk Utility on my Mac was defaulted to GUID Partition Map. No clue if this translates over to Windows, but this is what fixed it up for me. Let me know if you get it straightened out.

Edit: When you plug it in, you will get an intermittent flash. Don't worry about that, because it takes a second for the vehicle to communicate with your USB Drive. If it is still greyed out, give it a minute or so.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Nope.... PC.

But... I didn't think I had to do anything, so long as the USB was new. I pulled it right out of the package, and put it straight into the car.

Is there something I need to do to the USB drive with My PC before I can use it in the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 12:35 PM   #4
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Not sure of PC, since I am all Apple...someone on here could probably translate over...but out of the box, my usb drive needed to be formatted to exFAT so the vehicle would recognize it. I think this format is more "universal" so you can have the vehicle and your pc/mac read it. I am not sure how windows formats their partition guide (might be different terminology for windows), but I had to change my partition map on the drive from GUID to MBR.

Again, I had to play around with it a bit until the vehicle and the mac both read and accepted the drive. Here's my understanding of it...you have the drive, which let's say is 32GB and dedicated for Drive Recorder...the drive itself needed to be changed to Master Boot Record, which i will guess is so the vehicle can read the actual drive. Once I changed it from GUID to MBR, i then "formatted" a 32GB portion as exFAT, so it could be read universally. This is the only way I was able to get it to work. It somehow needs to be a bootable drive on windows, but then partitioned off a portion or all as exFAT so it can both boot and be read. If there is someone on here who can translate or correct my jumbled explanation...help!
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2020, 12:45 PM   #5
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Popped a brand new Samsung 64gb thumb drive (best drives I've used and highly recommend) in the center console and easily exported the Drive Recorder videos. Drive comes pre-formatted in exFat (cross platform compatible) - no formatting required for use on my MY19 MBP or MY20 RAZER.

Samsung MUF-64AB/AM FIT Plus 64GB - USB 3.1 Flash Drive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7P4SY4..._5Pm.EbBMMN237

Have a Nona USB-A to USB-C adapter for legacy USB-A devices:
nonda USB C to USB Adapter,USB-C to USB 3.0 Adapter,USB Type-C to USB,Thunderbolt 3 to USB Female Adapter OTG for MacBook Pro2019,MacBook Air 2020,iPad Pro 2020,More Type-C Devices(Space Gray) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015Z7XE0A..._C1m.Eb09RRABQ

If you prefer a USB-C drive, the Samsung Duo Plus works very well also:
Samsung DUO Plus 64GB - 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive (MUF-64DB/AM) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DW2Q1JL..._22m.EbFKE1P6K
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 02:54 PM   #6
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Popped a brand new Samsung 64gb thumb drive (best drives I've used and highly recommend) in the center console and easily exported the Drive Recorder videos. Drive comes pre-formatted in exFat (cross platform compatible) - no formatting required for use on my MY19 MBP or MY20 RAZER.
Awesome. Thank you. Sorry, I can turn a wrench with the best of them, but when it comes to computers and anything digital.... I'm as dumb as they come.

I had no idea there were different "formats". I think in simple terms... buy a USB.... plug it in..... doesn't work? Ask the experts... LOL.

Thanks... I just purchased two of them. Hopefully this will be "plug and play" as you said.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 06:16 AM   #7
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Try this with your old drive
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...s-and-mac/amp/
Appreciate 0