BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-05-2020, 02:45 PM   #1
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Wow these cars pull a lot of power while coding!

So switched back to using Esys, had used it on my F15 and F25, but was using bimmercode, just got sick of waiting for access to ECU's and bought EsysX which is working excellent.

I have one of the Schumacher charges with the flash option, will do 100A so can support a vehicle for any length of time - on my E93 or C63 both pull in the 18 amp range when doing anything on them.

Just put it on the G05 while I was coding a couple things and could not believe how much power the car was pulling, went up to 82 amps and stayed there, leads got pretty warm and took the charger about 10 minutes on the fans to cool down enough to turn off the fans (usually takes 30 seconds).

I knew these newer cars needed a lot of power, but 80 amps, crazy!!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 02:56 PM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
You're using the INC100 power supply? Good call and it is better described as a power supply rather than just a charger. I accidentally found a good deal on one and also picked one up a few months ago. Nice machine.

Yes, G05 can draw a lot and I had previously gotten battery warnings on long coding sessions even when on a lesser charger (you don't really *need* the car on for long during actual coding, you can do anything long offline, but it was convenient to not go back and forth). Part of it is that the car turns on a lot of stuff by default. When I code, I tend to turn off all lighting, for example, and this is a good use of the individual front and rear DRL controls you can get with coding; the ECUs are still on, but the power hungry lights are off.
      07-05-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
You're using the INC100 power supply? Good call and it is better described as a power supply rather than just a charger. I accidentally found a good deal on one and also picked one up a few months ago. Nice machine.

Yes, G05 can draw a lot and I had previously gotten battery warnings on long coding sessions even when on a lesser charger (you don't really *need* the car on for long during actual coding, you can do anything long offline, but it was convenient to not go back and forth). Part of it is that the car turns on a lot of stuff by default. When I code, I tend to turn off all lighting, for example, and this is a good use of the individual front and rear DRL controls you can get with coding; the ECUs are still on, but the power hungry lights are off.
Nice and yes the INC100, had it for long flashes (20-30 minutes) on my 3 series. I have had it for probably 10 years, just looked at the price and it is like $200 more than I paid back then. It is well made, early on I had it mounted on my lift post with the mounts they provide and knocked it off like 5 ft to the concrete and it never missed a beat.

The other trick is to just code with the car running, but not sure how to get it in diagnostic mode while running!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 04:39 PM   #4
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post

Nice and yes the INC100, had it for long flashes (20-30 minutes) on my 3 series. I have had it for probably 10 years, just looked at the price and it is like $200 more than I paid back then. It is well made, early on I had it mounted on my lift post with the mounts they provide and knocked it off like 5 ft to the concrete and it never missed a beat.

The other trick is to just code with the car running, but not sure how to get it in diagnostic mode while running!
I code my car "offline". Make all the changes to the NCD files while sitting at my desk then connect to the car after I'm done, load and code the files I edited. Car is only on for 5-10 minutes max.
Appreciate 0