BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-24-2022, 06:54 PM   #1
totalone
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 e45, M440

X5 45e rear ac blowing hot air

Itv started to get warmer out and we used ac. However, when I turn on AC rear seats vets blowing warm air, front seats blow ice cold.

I will schedule service appointment for this, but just curious if anyone had this issue before. It is strange since front vents are ice cold
      04-25-2022, 12:27 AM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Do you have four-zone system? If so, what temp are they set to?

Where is the adjustment knob set? This is an offset for the upper air outlet, similar to what's in the dash so you can have warmer or colder air from the upper vent versus the lower one.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 07:30 AM   #3
totalone
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Do you have four-zone system? If so, what temp are they set to?

Where is the adjustment knob set? This is an offset for the upper air outlet, similar to what's in the dash so you can have warmer or colder air from the upper vent versus the lower one.
I am not sure what 4 zone means. I have 2 upfront and 2 I believe in the rear, so it is safe to assume it is 4 zone I guess.

Everything was set to 68 degrees, front and back.
Can you elaborate a little more on upper vs lower outlet. I understand what you are saying but how do I control this. Sorry man, I came from Audis and this whole IDrive I didnt get a hang of it yet.
      04-25-2022, 01:06 PM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

On the front, I don't remember it it's available on the rear as well, you have the option to vary the upper vents' temperature, while maintaining the overall zone temperature. Some people like the upper vents to be cooler, as they don't like hot air blowing in their faces, and you can do that, or make it warmer so you don't freeze your hands when the a/c is running, depending on where you have them pointed. Older configurations had a dial you could adjust on the actual vent...the current X5, it's an iDrive menu item, or you can probably use the voice activation to adjust it.

The floor vents, therefore, could be outputting one air temp, while the upper vents another.

Note that when in AUTO, mode, the fan adjustment is more of an intensity scale than directly controlling the fan speed, so you might want to tweak that, too.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 03:17 PM   #5
totalone
Captain
Rep

Quote:
On the front, I don't remember it it's available on the rear as well, you have the option to vary the upper vents' temperature, while maintaining the overall zone temperature. Some people like the upper vents to be cooler, as they don't like hot air blowing in their faces, and you can do that, or make it warmer so you don't freeze your hands when the a/c is running, depending on where you have them pointed. Older configurations had a dial you could adjust on the actual vent...the current X5, it's an iDrive menu item, or you can probably use the voice activation to adjust it.

The floor vents, therefore, could be outputting one air temp, while the upper vents another.

Note that when in AUTO, mode, the fan adjustment is more of an intensity scale than directly controlling the fan speed, so you might want to tweak that, too.
How do I adjust top vent tempter?I cant find this in the menu
      04-25-2022, 03:33 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Make sure that the rear HVAC is actually turned on. Check page 295 in the manual. On the rear, the center thumbwheel adjusts the upper vent temperature hotter or cooler than the floor/general ventilation air. Also make sure that those vents are not closed off. The rocker switch adjusts the 'area' temp, while the thumb where adjusts the upper air vent from cooler to warmer.

On the front, try pressing the MENU A/C button and drilling down from there. Or, from iDrive,
Car
settings
climate control
(select driver or passenger)
temperature adjustment, then hotter or cooler for the upper air vent

Last edited by jad03060; 04-25-2022 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 05:47 AM   #7
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

There is a bug out there I'm not sure they have a fix for. Our 19 G05 did this repeatedly - all 4 zones set to same temp, hot air out rears. I would notice either because auto fan speed would blast up front as front tried to keep temp cool or my dog would be in the back panting. We tried controlling rear temp from rear, from dash central display, cycling the rear HVAC off and on and never really found a consistent way to fix. Car went in a few times but they couldn't fix. So far our 22 F95 has done this once.

I remember there was a small thread maybe a year ago on this.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 11:20 AM   #8
totalone
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Make sure that the rear HVAC is actually turned on. Check page 295 in the manual. On the rear, the center thumbwheel adjusts the upper vent temperature hotter or cooler than the floor/general ventilation air. Also make sure that those vents are not closed off. The rocker switch adjusts the 'area' temp, while the thumb where adjusts the upper air vent from cooler to warmer.

On the front, try pressing the MENU A/C button and drilling down from there. Or, from iDrive,
Car
settings
climate control
Thanks I found this setting, but this only shows for the driver and passenger.
My driver and passenger air is very cold, only the rear. Does this setting effect the rear as well?
      04-26-2022, 11:52 AM   #9
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
No, that's front vents only
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 11:57 AM   #10
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalone View Post
Quote:

Car
settings
climate control
Thanks I found this setting, but this only shows for the driver and passenger.
My driver and passenger air is very cold, only the rear. Does this setting effect the rear as well?
Hmm. Going to change my comment and second what was said earlier - check out owners manual, you may just have it set wrong for rears. Once you figure out the settings, if you still have issue then see my comment above.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 07:03 AM   #11
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Quote:
Itv started to get warmer out and we used ac. However, when I turn on AC rear seats vets blowing warm air, front seats blow ice cold.

I will schedule service appointment for this, but just curious if anyone had this issue before. It is strange since front vents are ice cold
Did you ever get this fixed? I have the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 08:39 AM   #12
totalone
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
Did you ever get this fixed? I have the same issue.
I had to let it run for like 30 minutes or so. Apparently sometimes in new cars they forget to cycle them, and it just needs to be ran for about 30 minutes or so. After that it all was fine.

Also make sure the temperatures are appropriate, if outside its 75 and you place 76 on your AC it will blow hot air.
      10-24-2023, 11:23 AM   #13
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Quote:
I had to let it run for like 30 minutes or so. Apparently sometimes in new cars they forget to cycle them, and it just needs to be ran for about 30 minutes or so. After that it all was fine.

Also make sure the temperatures are appropriate, if outside its 75 and you place 76 on your AC it will blow hot air.
My car is 3 years old, so I don’t think that this will fix it in my case.
Appreciate 1
totalone277.50
      10-24-2023, 11:35 AM   #14
totalone
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
My car is 3 years old, so I don’t think that this will fix it in my case.
yeah definitely that.
      10-24-2023, 04:10 PM   #15
walketed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50e - 2024

Quote:

The same happened to my old X5 2019... It turned out that the rear AC vents were disconnected, it was an assembly problem. Quick fix though.
Appreciate 0