BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-15-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Dispatch times?

I've read on the board that delivery to dealers can take 1-3 weeks, depending on location. Is this true, even for the east coast? We're 7 hours from Spartanburg, so I'd think the delivery would be a day or two but maybe not?

Also, any sense of how long dealer prep should be?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #2
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

I think the answer is "it depends"

West Coast locations take delivery through the Oxnard VPC. Vehicles are shipped there via train. Then they are distributed by truck. You can go back and follow other West Coast buyer's posts here and see it take 2-3 weeks to get to the dealer once dispatched from factory.

East Coast and other areas in "driving proximity" to Spartanburg - vehicles are delivered by truck. Once dispatched from factory, it's faster... 2-5 days to dealer.

Dealer prep can turn around and deliver a vehicle in a day but it depends on their backlog of vehicles to deliver, etc.

There are probably others that have more experience and can provide more detail.
Appreciate 1
Tlon173.00
      12-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post

West Coast locations take delivery through the Oxnard VPC. Vehicles are shipped there via train. Then they are distributed by truck. You can go back and follow other West Coast buyer's posts here and see it take 2-3 weeks to get to the dealer once dispatched from factory.

East Coast and other areas in "driving proximity" to Spartanburg - vehicles are delivered by truck. Once dispatched from factory, it's faster... 2-5 days to dealer.

Dealer prep can turn around and deliver a vehicle in a day but it depends on their backlog of vehicles to deliver, etc.

There are probably others that have more experience and can provide more detail.
What about central states like Texas? I assume it's done via truck from the factory
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

jra0113 might be able to help. He took delivery in TX. Looks like it took about 6 days from shipment to taking delivery. My guess is it went by truck.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #5
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post

Thanks! Very helpful!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

Sorry to say, but it really depends - on a lot of factors!

I'm in Toronto. So rail to Toronto, then delivery to the dealer by truck.

My last X5 took two weeks, and my current x5 took 9 weeks. The latest might have been impacted by stop sales, and recalls, but that's what it "depends" on.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #7
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

I'll add - the Genius originally quoted me a ship date of 12/12 and a deliver to dealer date of 12/15. So three days to get 45 min north of Boston...
Appreciate 1
Tlon173.00