BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-16-2018, 05:55 AM   #23
bigdaveindubai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Anyone local to me that is interested in giving RaceChip a shot?
I'll work out a great deal.
I will need 1 for 40i and 1 for 50i.
RaceChip has been a favorite in F15/F16 X5/X6, F85/F86 X5M/X6M, and F90 M5 community.
Not local but I can help you out with the 40i, want to send to Texas.
2012 Boss 302 #2147
2017 Shelby GT350
2017 F250 KR
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 06:30 AM   #24
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaveindubai View Post
Quote:
Anyone local to me that is interested in giving RaceChip a shot?
I'll work out a great deal.
I will need 1 for 40i and 1 for 50i.
RaceChip has been a favorite in F15/F16 X5/X6, F85/F86 X5M/X6M, and F90 M5 community.
Not local but I can help you out with the 40i, want to send to Texas.
I can do introductory deal for you if you want, but I still need someone local.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 03:26 AM   #25
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

I do think a Factory M Performance exhaust would be a nice addition. Also, do air intakes/filters make any difference in the X5?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #26
PhatBoyG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
Also, do air intakes/filters make any difference in the X5?
No, forced induction doesn't benefit from that stuff at all, despite what the "HP Gods of Power" will sell you.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12963.50
      11-17-2018, 09:00 AM   #27
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatBoyG View Post
Quote:
Also, do air intakes/filters make any difference in the X5?
No, forced induction doesn't benefit from that stuff at all, despite what the "HP Gods of Power" will sell you.
if you get cooler air to the forced induction it does. you can compress cooler air more which I'm sure you know but otherwise if airflow isn't restricted anywhere and the engine can't utilize more sir then it makes no difference as mentioned.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #28
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

I am getting the PPF and Ceramic coating put on the car now. Other than that, I have only added the iND front side markers and ordered the OEM winter wheels and tires... Really contemplating the black out grill and exhaust cutouts though...

i was also looking on the F15 forum and their Audio system upgrade thread has me thinking about adding a sub to the spare tire well and "maybe" upgrading the speakers to the BAV Sound units... (But I am not sold on that yet)

What about you guys/gals?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 03:28 PM   #29
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

IND Cosmetic Package. Painted grille slats/Chrome surrounds and color matched center connector. Color matched front reflectors. Black exhaust surrounds. Color matched badges. Stealth...My vehicle should be here shortly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      12-15-2018, 03:47 PM   #30
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
I do think a Factory M Performance exhaust would be a nice addition. Also, do air intakes/filters make any difference in the X5?
All of these newer European, doesn't benefit much out of the Air Intake and Exhaust anymore.
All it does just added more sound for enjoyment.
Although, It does help a little better if you pushing much higher boost and running a catless downpipe.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #31
cygnusecks
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05)

I want to add the sky lounge to my US-built G05.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #32
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Here's what mine will have (waiting on delivery still)

-IND Body colored front reflectors: Ordered
-IND Body colored rear reflectors: Ordered
-IND Shadowline exhaust surround: Ordered
-Shadowline grill (black) either painted or resentfully order from IND
-Feynlabs Ceramic coating (full car + wheels and calipers)
-Suntek PPF full front + some other area
-Suntek ceramic window tint (25% front, 5% everywhere else)
-Badge delete for model designation
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #33
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
All of these newer European, doesn't benefit much out of the Air Intake and Exhaust anymore.
All it does just added more sound for enjoyment.
Although, It does help a little better if you pushing much higher boost and running a catless downpipe.
It does add a few HP if you test on a Dyno before/after. No one will really notice unless you're also doing a Stage 1 or higher tune as well.

The X5 50i + Stage 1 (JB4 or similar), intake and catless DP will likely be X5M fast or better
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 07:48 PM   #34
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post

I don't mind the rear reflectors. Red blends in. Amber is just so... LOL

Since I can't tint my front windows here, I think my next mod will possibly be an aftermarket sub in the storage area... Once we are able to get things coded, then its a different story
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #35
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post

I don't mind the rear reflectors. Red blends in. Amber is just so... LOL

Since I can't tint my front windows here, I think my next mod will possibly be an aftermarket sub in the storage area... Once we are able to get things coded, then its a different story
I don't like the look of reflectors at all no matter their color. The front ones are far more intrusive though. What state is that illegal in? I always go as dark as possible because I like privacy and it's easier on the eyes during the bright hot days here. A nice sub would be cool, I'm not modding mine with the B&W system, it would be distasteful
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 12:30 AM   #36
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jra0113 View Post
does chip tune mess with warranty at all?
If its not a Dinan installed by a bmw tech at a dealership then yes it will mess with warranty if you dont take it off before bringing it in for service. No they can not tell you had it on if you remove it.
Quote:
My understanding is the tuners that work with the b58 engines like what is in the 540i, work on the x5 as its the same exact. So the tuners are already out there to buy.

For my wife, I will just get her a JB4 on map 2. Thats it, everything else she wants is already in it.
Just to clarify, whether you run a flash tune (flashed to the factory ECU) or a piggyback "chip" tune, BMW will be able to tell if either one has been installed. For the ECU flash, there are flash counters, which can be locked or set back, but there's still digital remnants left behind. For the Piggyback or "chip" tunes, there's logging software that's recording the parameters of the car. So if you spin a rod bearing or blow a charge pipe or anything motor related, they can go back and look at the logs and see that the car was running outside of it's designed parameters and still void the warranty. Anytime you take your car in for service a lot of times the car is plugged up to their computer and the data from your car is sent to BMW. If they see the car was running outside of their programmed parameters (even though you removed the piggyback tune the logs are still recorded on Your cars ECU's), they'll flag your car and won't say a word to you. Then you'll find out about the flagging when you have a warranty issue. These are known facts. Don't be naive to think that BMW is not going to take steps to protect themselves from losing money on warranty claims from customers pushing the motor past its limits.
      12-16-2018, 01:38 PM   #37
bigdaveindubai
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Just to clarify, whether you run a flash tune (flashed to the factory ECU) or a piggyback "chip" tune, BMW will be able to tell if either one has been installed. For the ECU flash, there are flash counters, which can be locked or set back, but there's still digital remnants left behind. For the Piggyback or "chip" tunes, there's logging software that's recording the parameters of the car. So if you spin a rod bearing or blow a charge pipe or anything motor related, they can go back and look at the logs and see that the car was running outside of it's designed parameters and still void the warranty. Anytime you take your car in for service a lot of times the car is plugged up to their computer and the data from your car is sent to BMW. If they see the car was running outside of their programmed parameters (even though you removed the piggyback tune the logs are still recorded on Your cars ECU's), they'll flag your car and won't say a word to you. Then you'll find out about the flagging when you have a warranty issue. These are known facts. Don't be naive to think that BMW is not going to take steps to protect themselves from losing money on warranty claims from customers pushing the motor past its limits.
Are you a bmw tech? Do you work for BMW? Has this happened to you first hand?
2012 Boss 302 #2147
2017 Shelby GT350
2017 F250 KR
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #38
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

I guess I will have to wait for the BMW version of the performance upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #39
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm very good friends with a tech and yes this has happened to me. Plus I code and flash these cars so I know first hand what's in them and what they're capable of. Just passing along some wisdom to save you money so you're not out $16,500 for a new N54 short block like I was. Also being good friends with the dealership won't get them to cover your car during a mishap. A PUMA case is opened and you'll be dealing directly with BMW. They'll drop you faster than a blink of an eye to void your warranty over a tune.
      12-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #40
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Well BMW certainly doesn't have a flag like Audi. The car can operate outside of parameters without a mod so that's not a tell tale sign. They need to prove you did something which is harder
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #41
bigdaveindubai
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm very good friends with a tech and yes this has happened to me. Plus I code and flash these cars so I know first hand what's in them and what they're capable of. Just passing along some wisdom to save you money so you're not out $16,500 for a new N54 short block like I was. Also being good friends with the dealership won't get them to cover your car during a mishap. A PUMA case is opened and you'll be dealing directly with BMW. They'll drop you faster than a blink of an eye to void your warranty over a tune.
Thanks broski! I. have a friend that works for BMW too, he says opposite of everything you just said. I'm sorry you blew your shit up and had to pay 16 large. Sounds like you did some darwin stuff.
2012 Boss 302 #2147
2017 Shelby GT350
2017 F250 KR
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #42
JLR0523
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maze446 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargo72 View Post
I am curious if they have, or will have, chip tuning available for the 50i, as that is what I am getting. I do not plan on doing much else performance-wise, but do intend to get film and ceramic coating.
I have a 50i right now and I'm telling you that there is really no need for a tune. Seriously, it's basically at the limit of how fast a 5000 lb SUV should be able to travel. I can't even fathom how fast the X5M will be if it's pushing 600 hp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maze446 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargo72 View Post
I am curious if they have, or will have, chip tuning available for the 50i, as that is what I am getting. I do not plan on doing much else performance-wise, but do intend to get film and ceramic coating.
I have a 50i right now and I'm telling you that there is really no need for a tune. Seriously, it's basically at the limit of how fast a 5000 lb SUV should be able to travel. I can't even fathom how fast the X5M will be if it's pushing 600 hp.
I agree.
      12-16-2018, 02:01 PM   #43
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks broski! I. have a friend that works for BMW too, he says opposite of everything you just said. I'm sorry you blew your shit up and had to pay 16 large. Sounds like you did some darwin stuff.
Nope just had a JB4 that was removed and took the car in for a noise at 3k rpm. Also knew a guy that lost control and wrecked his M3. Told the dealership the DSC didn't work. BMW pulled the logs from the car and showed him that all the DSC functions were turned off prior to the wreck, how fast he was going when the wreck happened and even what his rpms were just prior to the wreck. I don't think your tech is being honest about what these cars log. It's also known that BMW started using EDR's around 2012-2013.
      12-16-2018, 02:20 PM   #44
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nope just had a JB4 that was removed and took the car in for a noise at 3k rpm. Also knew a guy that lost control and wrecked his M3. Told the dealership the DSC didn't work. BMW pulled the logs from the car and showed him that all the DSC functions were turned off prior to the wreck, how fast he was going when the wreck happened and even what his rpms were just prior to the wreck. I don't think your tech is being honest about what these cars log. It's also known that BMW started using EDR's around 2012-2013.
EDRs record a lot more than those few items. I'm not a fan of such devices because it can be used against you by your insurance or whomevee even if you were driving within the law (example you braked 0.1s later than needed which is something your insurance would say). The systems are tied to your airbags and really can't be bypassed or removed if you wanted so don't be dumb basically
Appreciate 1
skalberti614.00