Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biorin View Post
I don't think it validates Keynesianism. I think that Keynesianism is a bit like, say, liposuction. They both provide a quick and effective solution to the problem at hand, but do not address the underlying cause, which is why we keep going through the same cycles again and again. Artificially lowered interest rates encourage malinvestment/poorly thought out investments, which then fail and end up supported by QE and similar plans. There's a quote from Paul Krugman back in 2001 or so saying how Greenspan needed to create a housing (or similar) bubble to replace the tech bubble. How about you don't fuck with interest rates and create bubbles that eventually crash?

To me, deregulation and lowered taxes are much more effective in the long term. The government taking money from people and acting as if it best knows how to allocate it to stimulate the economy (bureaucracy and special interests, mostly) is ridiculous. The broken window fallacy comes to mind.

That's really oversimplified, and probably doesn't answer your question, but yes.
Thank you.
Why are you thanking me for oversimplifying?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 08:33 PM   #27546
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
That's a LOT of down side....
If your downside risk is <30%, you probably shouldn't be invested in any markets. Not a dig, just being honest.

Nothing is safe these days. Interest rate hikes have been imminent for years...only way to go is UP, so debt markets will eventually get crushed. And we're flirting with sky high equities indices...fueled by lackluster earnings and a shaky global economic environment. What do you think the downside is here? Equities always have a downside risk of $0. People forget that.

Gold has intrinsic value and 30% downside is pretty much the floor.

Real estate? Maybe. But people have really short term memories. EVERYTHING was down in 2008/2009. I think in highly speculative South Florida, real estate was down over 50%? I'm just approximating.
Good is not a commodity you can personally convert to cash at perceived market price when holding the actual precious metal.

I can rent my investments for market value everyday if the week. More not that supply is shrinking and affordability for many who had credit issues during the recession.

Also - I started buying in 2009 and progressively allowed the 'correction' to work in my favor.

To each their own - but I'd be leery of precious metals as a significant hold for future earnings.
Metals aren't a hold for future earnings, imo... More of a hedge against shit hitting the fan. I've got plenty, but not because I expect it to make me boatloads of cash. I have it because, well, I don't want the literal cash...
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 08:41 PM   #27547
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Quote:
Good is not a commodity you can personally convert to cash at perceived market price when holding the actual precious metal.

I can rent my investments for market value everyday if the week. More not that supply is shrinking and affordability for many who had credit issues during the recession.

Also - I started buying in 2009 and progressively allowed the 'correction' to work in my favor.

To each their own - but I'd be leery of precious metals as a significant hold for future earnings.
To clarify, what I had mentioned previously was a lot of professional investors are moving to gold for capital preservation...not for a LT investment strategy. I in no way suggested gold as a cash flow instrument - it's about Keeping what you got.

Sorry. But your first statement is 100% incorrect. Gold, not jewelry, but in standardized coins, biscuits and bullion are indeed fungible for the average investor.

All commodities are traded at actual market prices - hence the existence of commodities markets. Yes, these are futures but if you trace each contract back, it is to physical gold, coffee, silver, crude, whatever the commodity. The joke back in the day was if you owned a June contract for crude, you can actually get barrels of crude delivered to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 08:42 PM   #27548
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Metals aren't a hold for future earnings, imo... More of a hedge against shit hitting the fan. I've got plenty, but not because I expect it to make me boatloads of cash. I have it because, well, I don't want the literal cash...
Capital preservation.... That's what I was suggesting.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 08:42 PM   #27549
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

To clarify, what I had mentioned previously was a lot of professional investors are moving to gold for capital preservation...not for a LT investment strategy. I in no way suggested gold as a cash flow instrument - it's about Keeping what you got.

Sorry. But your first statement is 100% incorrect. Gold, not jewelry, but in standardized coins, biscuits and bullion are indeed fungible for the average investor.

All commodities are traded at actual market prices - hence the existence of commodities markets. Yes, these are futures but if you trace each contract back, it is to physical gold, coffee, silver, crude, whatever the commodity. The joke back in the day was if you owned a June contract for crude, you can actually get barrels of crude delivered to you.
What's a gold biscuit? Can you eat it? I like food even more than gold.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #27550
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're smart. I'm converting my free cash and low duration fixed income into physical gold...where I can. Otherwise, putting into a gold tracker.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #27551
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hahahaha. Sure thing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #27552
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Quote:

I'll just be a slum lord and sell off R/E assets to fun my car habits.....

For clarity - never said precious metals were not a option to make money - just have a steep downside relative to other investments such as dirt that was purchased at one of the cheapest periods in history.

Additionally - I'll depreciate the assets and use expenses to offset any gains or profit from asset sales to further reduce my tax liability....OR EVEN GET $$ BACK

People can mine more metals - they are not making anymore land to my knowledge...not on Earf anyway...

To each their own - my way is/has worked for me, that's all that I can say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:13 PM   #27553
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For clarity - never said precious metals were not a option to make money - just have a steep downside relative to other investments such as dirt that was purchased at one of the cheapest periods in history.

Additionally - I'll depreciate the assets and use expenses to offset any gains or profit from asset sales to further reduce my tax liability....OR EVEN GET $$ BACK

People can mine more metals - they are not making anymore land to my knowledge...not on Earf anyway...

YOU CAN'T DEPRECIATE LAND FOR TAX PURPOSES.

That is all.
(I love real estate too. I'm sure you are depreciating the building.)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:17 PM   #27554
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:

That is all.
(I love real estate too)
You can depreciate the asset(s) if the property has a house that is rented....or property with farm animals
Quote:
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 09:18 PM   #27555
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Agree that each their own. If I somehow implied you said gold is not an option to make money...that was never the intention.

Perhaps it was my differentiating between the investment objective of gold. In my opinion, it's not an income generator (not a cash flow generator) at all...to me, it's for capital preservation.

I guess there's a disconnect in definitions.

Not to confuse, also not saying you cannot make a profit off of gold. You certainly can but for me it's more a tool to hedge against every other security market taking a nosedive. If I end up buying low and selling higher, great.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:19 PM   #27556
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That is all.
(I love real estate too)
You can if it has a rented house on the property....of farm animals
You can depreciate the building... And the animals!

Edit: I'm sure you know this but building and land are separate. Land can't be depreciated. I was just being enthusiastic.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 09:24 PM   #27557
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Why are you thanking me for oversimplifying?
Some of us need it spelled out, all simple like.
      05-10-2016, 09:25 PM   #27558
M2BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Did you see the turtle logo I put on my helmet?
http://giphy.com/gifs/fast-turtle-wheels-9H2J2Dkln0nGE
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 09:25 PM   #27559
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
Agree that each their own. If I somehow implied you said gold is not an option to make money...that was never the intention.

Perhaps it was my differentiating between the investment objective of gold. In my opinion, it's not an income generator (not a cash flow generator) at all...to me, it's for capital preservation.

Not to confuse, also not saying you cannot make a profit off of gold. You certainly can but for me it's more a tool to hedge against every other security market taking a nosedive. If I end up buying low and selling higher, great.
I understand your point/position - I guess, for me the idea that a traded commodity is safe from loss of value is difficult for me to come to terms with, even precious metals.

I may be thinking of this in the wrong terms, but the value of the commodity is only as strong as the currency used to buy/sell the assets - right? Unless....you are hedging that the commodity will become the standard of monetary exchange?
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:29 PM   #27560
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I understand your point/position - I guess, for me the idea that a traded commodity is safe from loss of value is difficult for me to come to terms with, even precious metals.

I may be thinking of this in the wrong terms, but the value of the commodity is only as strong as the currency used to buy/sell the assets - right? Unless....you are hedging that the commodity will become the standard of monetary exchange?
I would disagree with the last part. If you buy a barrel of oil in Venezuela pre-hyperinflation, it doesn't lose all value once the currency becomes worthless. That's the problem with fiat currencies... They're backed by nothing.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:35 PM   #27561
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Cool. And I'm glad we can have this conversation in an intelligent manner... Unlike in politics. Still annoyed by that dude... Bbbbbbmw.

But trust me, if we're headed for another 2008/2009...a 30% downside for most fund managers is a great hedge.

Regarding the correlation of currency...to commodities. It's much more complicated than that.

For argument sake, I would view it as a separate animal... The fact that gold costs 1265/oz in US...it's the same value everywhere else <-- this is key. Currency impact and affordability is something else. So now, let's separate the two.

Each commodity price - like the milk and fuel example - is driven by a different set of market forces. If you focus purely on precious metals...there are still a lot of differences. If we talk about gold, it's the first stop investors go to to protect themselves. But under normal market conditions, the price is driven by, believe it or not, jewelry demand...demand from individuals (i.e. China and India comprise about 1/2 of the worlds gold demand). Then there's the constant speculative component.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:35 PM   #27562
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hahahaha. Sure thing.
I had no idea those were called biscuits. I just thought they were... Baby bars?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:39 PM   #27563
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2BMW
Quote:
Did you see the turtle logo I put on my helmet?
http://giphy.com/gifs/fast-turtle-wheels-9H2J2Dkln0nGE
OMG!
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 09:40 PM   #27564
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had no idea those were called biscuits. I just thought they were... Baby bars?
You're kidding right? Lol.

Now you know. I gots some. Bling bling, bitches!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:40 PM   #27565
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OMG!
That Turtle has a turbo kit.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #27566
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Cool. And I'm glad we can have this conversation in an intelligent manner... Unlike in politics. Still annoyed by that dude... Bbbbbbmw.

But trust me, if we're headed for another 2008/2009...a 30% downside for most fund managers is a great hedge.

Regarding the correlation of currency...to commodities. It's much more complicated than that.

For argument sake, I would view it as a separate animal... The fact that gold costs 1265/oz in US...it's the same value everywhere else <-- this is key. Currency impact and affordability is something else. So now, let's separate the two.

Each commodity price - like the milk and fuel example - is driven by a different set of market forces. If you focus purely on precious metals...there are still a lot of differences. If we talk about gold, it's the first stop investors go to to protect themselves. But under normal market conditions, the price is driven by, believe it or not, jewelry demand...demand from individuals (i.e. China and India comprise about 1/2 of the worlds gold demand). Then there's the constant speculative component.

Hope this helps!
So....you're saying gold is the exact price in every country..? How is that possible when each country has variations in currency comparatively speaking?
Quote:
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread