BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-23-2021, 08:26 PM   #89
Ropax5
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e and 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar335 View Post
Very tempted to get it but I have upgraded all my speakers to the Focal Inside, including the subwoofers, and am not entirely sure the tuning file they provide would be a "match".
From what I understand they will assist if you need tweaks to the tuning file. You just need a PC
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2022, 09:06 PM   #90
Big_CG
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Do you install the crossovers in the front when installing the 100L front door?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 10:07 PM   #91
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 x40i M Sport

I put them a bit to the upper left behind the speaker. Secured with double sided tape and a zip tie. The K2 crossovers were a challenge given their size but I was to put them in the lower right of the doors.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 09:01 AM   #92
corozco3
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoAtHome View Post
I have an Audiotec amp as well, Match in my case, and initially used the oem speakers and you are right, big difference. I put Focals 100Ls in the front and rear doors, and then replaced the 100L's in the front doors with K2s. My advice, forget about the rear doors, center, and under-seat subs, just go with IC 100L's in the front doors. Its easy to do, sounds great, you will hear the difference. That's all you need to do to have a sound system as good if not better than the HK and it's all PnP.
Hi Vertigo, You sugest use The IC 100L instead of IS ones?
In that order it only change the woffer? what about twetters?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 05:20 PM   #93
Big_CG
Major
Rep

I ordered the IS 100L speakers for my front doors on my HK system. Hoping it gives it just a bit better sound quality. I will probably retrofit acoustic glass at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 09:07 AM   #94
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corozco3 View Post
Hi Vertigo, You sugest use The IC 100L instead of IS ones?
In that order it only change the woffer? what about twetters?

thanks
Meant to say IS... you want components in the front doors, use coax in the rears if you choose to do anything there.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 10:45 PM   #95
Big_CG
Major
Rep

Any advice on crossover settings on the IS BMW 100L if they are adjustable?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:05 PM   #96
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/G05 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_CG View Post
Any advice on crossover settings on the IS BMW 100L if they are adjustable?
The wiring harness to the tweeters has a 0db and -3db wire that you can choose from. I'd recommend using the -3db wire. Even with Hi-Fi power I found the 0db to be too bright.

When you wire up the tweeter, bring the wires to the top so that you can easily swap the wires by just taking off the tweeter grill, instead of having to take off the whole door panel.
Appreciate 1
RC_Hund61.00
      01-22-2022, 07:09 PM   #97
RC_Hund
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample View Post
The wiring harness to the tweeters has a 0db and -3db wire that you can choose from. I'd recommend using the -3db wire. Even with Hi-Fi power I found the 0db to be too bright.

When you wire up the tweeter, bring the wires to the top so that you can easily swap the wires by just taking off the tweeter grill, instead of having to take off the whole door panel.
I will second this recommendation. I had to pull the tweeter housings after a few weeks and swap from 0 dB to the -3 dB connection. I was just lucky that I pulled the wires up far enough that I didn't need to pull the full door panels.

It was too bright with the stock HiFi amp and with the bimmertech amp also.

Can't go wrong with the Focals.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 09:24 PM   #98
Big_CG
Major
Rep

Gotcha. My factory system is hk so it would probably be even more critical to go -3db
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 06:21 AM   #99
Flyhogz
Rep
Drives: Xdrive45e

Is it fairly straight forward to remove the factory crossovers to run aftermarket speakers active? I'd prefer running active EQ/TA on the mids/tweets on the factory speaker wring.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 11:34 AM   #100
HuskerNSC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Very tempted to get it but I have upgraded all my speakers to the Focal Inside, including the subwoofers, and am not entirely sure the tuning file they provide would be a "match".
I am considering doing the same thing. I emailed BimmerTech to get their thoughts. I will share them once received. My guess is they will say it will all be "great", but would love to hear from others here who have done the Focal/Bimmertech combo.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 01:59 PM   #101
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerNSC View Post
I am considering doing the same thing. I emailed BimmerTech to get their thoughts. I will share them once received. My guess is they will say it will all be "great", but would love to hear from others here who have done the Focal/Bimmertech combo.
While I understand why you'd want to send the full signal to the DSP so you can better adjust the cross-over points to suit your aftermarket speakers, I'm not sure it's a good idea to go completely active. Should the full signal ever hit the tweeters, even for an instant, my understanding is they would be toast. It's not that I think the DSP would fail, rather the user may make a bad setting by accident or bypass the filter (simple switch in the Audiotec DSP). Secondly I'm not sure you'll be accomplishing much with the mids/tweeters since the DSP is already capable of dividing the signal between them, and at least for the Focal K2's that I installed, there are high quality passive crossovers that are capable of doing a great job. If I was going to do this, I'd focus on the under-seat woofers, much less likely to do any damage should something go wrong. Perhaps band-pass them to better compliment the midrange speakers. Particularly if you install a sub-woofer, you can take some of the load off the under-seat woofers, play them at a bit higher frequencies, and let the sub do the heavy work in the low frequencies. Make sense?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 04:54 PM   #102
HuskerNSC
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry, I replied to an earlier post. I am simply thinking of adding the BimmerTech Amp to help better power my focal speakers. Not looking to do anything crazy with the crossovers that others are discussing. Just looking for someone what has a similar setup and their happiness.

Also debating the focal subs or a stand alone sub in the back.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 07:17 PM   #103
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Sorry, I replied to an earlier post. I am simply thinking of adding the BimmerTech Amp to help better power my focal speakers. Not looking to do anything crazy with the crossovers that others are discussing. Just looking for someone what has a similar setup and their happiness.

Also debating the focal subs or a stand alone sub in the back.
I am also waiting to hear from others who have upgraded the stock amp to the BimmerTech amp before doing it myself. I have already upgraded all speakers to Focal Inside and will be retrofitting the rear doors to include tweeters, already purchased the door parts from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 07:20 PM   #104
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoAtHome View Post
Quote:
While I understand why you'd want to send the full signal to the DSP so you can better adjust the cross-over points to suit your aftermarket speakers, I'm not sure it's a good idea to go completely active. Should the full signal ever hit the tweeters, even for an instant, my understanding is they would be toast. It's not that I think the DSP would fail, rather the user may make a bad setting by accident or bypass the filter (simple switch in the Audiotec DSP). Secondly I'm not sure you'll be accomplishing much with the mids/tweeters since the DSP is already capable of dividing the signal between them, and at least for the Focal K2's that I installed, there are high quality passive crossovers that are capable of doing a great job. If I was going to do this, I'd focus on the under-seat woofers, much less likely to do any damage should something go wrong. Perhaps band-pass them to better compliment the midrange speakers. Particularly if you install a sub-woofer, you can take some of the load off the under-seat woofers, play them at a bit higher frequencies, and let the sub do the heavy work in the low frequencies. Make sense?
How do you like the K2s in comparison to Focal Inside, how difficult was it to find space for the crossover box?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 09:16 AM   #105
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How do you like the K2s in comparison to Focal Inside, how difficult was it to find space for the crossover box?
The cross-overs fit into the lower right side of the door, so far no issues. Regarding differences between these and the IS 100Ls, they have a more full sound with more bass, which is where I felt the 100L's were lacking. I suspect the cross-over is helping. Now I need to convince myself to buy a JL Audio powered sub, almost there, they are pricey, but I believe it will complete the system.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 03:26 PM   #106
HuskerNSC
Private First Class
Rep

Above you mention recommending the fronts. Are you still a fan of the amp? Worth it in your mind?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 03:35 PM   #107
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Above you mention recommending the fronts. Are you still a fan of the amp? Worth it in your mind?
Definitely a fan of the amp... expensive but not much choice for PnP.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 04:06 PM   #108
HuskerNSC
Private First Class
Rep

Cool. I am going to pull the trigger on the Bimmertech amp to pair with my focal speakers. Will report back to the group on the process and most importantly, the sound.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 04:14 AM   #109
BMW3DK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 / 540 G30

Hello All,
As my 'forum name' indicates, I'm not a X5 driver yet, but will be end of Feb, so pls ignore the fact that I'm speaking with experiences from the wrong cars.

BUT

In the past 10 years, I have installed almost all generations of the Audiotec Fischer PP amps in different BMW generations.

For BMW, I have experience with the current generations of PP62, PP82, PP86, UP7 and P6DSPm2 amplifiers in 1, 3 & 5 series.

Main learning is that especially with replacement speakers there are huge gains with these amp's, HUGE!
Another learning is that with especially PP82, PP82 and P6DSP it is a solid improvement to add a direct power-cable with minimum 10mm2 / 4G thickness and for all it is a win to do a separate earth cable, rather than running back through the 2,5mm2/16G ground cable.
When it comes to the sound tuning of the DSP, you can use what there is from Bimmertech or AudioTech, but you should be able to win another significant improvement by doing a fine-tune of the DSP settings to your personal taste / speakers of your choice.

Anyway - I look forward to do the sound in my X5M when it arrives

//Chris
Appreciate 1
AAA59.00
      02-15-2022, 07:46 PM   #110
HuskerNSC
Private First Class
Rep

Ok, so i am installed and have feedback. I am coming from Hifi sound and not HK.

1. I upgraded all the speakers (except the subs to focal inside). I noticed a decent improvement, but found the speakers still lacked fullness and volume.

2. After much debate, I bought and installed the Bimmertech amp. I was immediately impressed as the fullness and volume improvement. i turned down the gain to 50% and have been very happy with the sound, except the looseness of the bass. I am using a file meant for the OEM speakers currently but have a few to try from Bimmertech.
- Here is the file loaded default: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WWX...ew?usp=sharing

3. This weekend I installed the focal ISUB2’s. The bass different is immediately tighter, fuller, and even deeper.

All in it was a worthwhile upgrade and I am super happy and impressed with the sound. I am going to play with some of Bimmertech’s DSP files, but am happy.

For anyone considering the upgrade, each step made a notable difference to me.

Last edited by HuskerNSC; 02-15-2022 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
Tch-Nrd124.50