BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-08-2024, 08:44 PM   #1
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

LCI X5M weight increase (due to 48V)?

Is there a definitive answer to the increased weight? 200 lbs?
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2024, 01:22 AM   #2
WhiteWolf117
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2024 Frozen Black X5M

Hello there Yes, it's due to the new 48v mild hybrid system However, lots of reviews say that it has no impact on the performance
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 09:03 AM   #3
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 19 330I, 19 z06 vert

It’s from the ridiculous batteries they added and yes it’s 1/10 slower overall. Not a big deal and not something you will feel or notice driving the car hard or otherwise but those are the facts. Just wait until they do the full hybrid treatment to the next gen x5mc like they are ruining the new g90 m5c with. Making the car an absolute pig adding 1000 lbs for no reason. 200 extra lbs would be a welcome addition instead of 1000. So imagine these suvs which are already crazy heavy roughly 5200lbs? Next Gen you get 6200 lbs lol lol. Ridiculous
Appreciate 1
x622968.00
      05-09-2024, 11:19 AM   #4
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
I’m so sure about that. Full Electric vehicles seemed like the way to go, but maybe not and doing this hybrid thing is a good stopgap because of the worry with longevity of the battery packs. Sort of like how a lot of us were worried (and still am) about all the gizmos.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 06:04 PM   #5
R///MG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC Frozen Pure Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoy2001 View Post
It’s from the ridiculous batteries they added and yes it’s 1/10 slower overall. Not a big deal and not something you will feel or notice driving the car hard or otherwise but those are the facts. Just wait until they do the full hybrid treatment to the next gen x5mc like they are ruining the new g90 m5c with. Making the car an absolute pig adding 1000 lbs for no reason. 200 extra lbs would be a welcome addition instead of 1000. So imagine these suvs which are already crazy heavy roughly 5200lbs? Next Gen you get 6200 lbs lol lol. Ridiculous
Why does everyone claiming the LCI is slower than the pre LCI have a pre LCI? You do know the 48v battery produces an extra 147lb tq? I've had both and the LCI in no way feels slower. It's quite the opposite.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 06:39 PM   #6
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Most of the youtubers said the LCI feels more reactive. On the other hand, looking at random videos where they did a 0-60 the pace seems very much to fall in the same window, before and after.

Nothing seems out of place there: It gained a little weight, but picked up shorter gears and a little bit of instantaneous torque. My experience says gears always make it feel a little peppier, even when the measured acceleration doesn't much change, and that is not an insubstantial amount of torque immediately available at any RPM.

Personally were I wanting to complain about the LCI, I'd go directly to losing too many buttons, then penny pinching to no good end. Not sure the weight would come up. Although I suppose it's possible that if I was drinking, and just wanted to complain because the old lady was mad at me and I hadn't been laid in a while, I might get to the weight. Not sure on that. We'll have to wait until I commit my next marital blunder.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 08:01 PM   #7
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R///MG View Post
Why does everyone claiming the LCI is slower than the pre LCI have a pre LCI? You do know the 48v battery produces an extra 147lb tq? I've had both and the LCI in no way feels slower. It's quite the opposite.
First off. Did you read what I said? I didn’t bash your lci nor was I justifying my pre lci. I was shining pointing out some facts. The pre lci is a tick faster 0-60 and in the quarter mile. Sorry but it is. Notice I also said is not noticeable driving the car. The added weight offsets most of the extra tq and the hp total is the same. They shortened the gears a bit and that as a poster above pointed out will always make the car feel a little quicker seat of the pants from the jump. Common sense. You don’t need to get your panties in a bunch. I was not saying my car was better than your car relax. What I did say though was there was no reason for bmw to add that extra 200 lbs to an already very heavy car/suv for not performance gain. Look at that review Joe just did about a month ago. The guy from the uk. He did multiple 0-60 runs pre lci and lci. The lci constantly came in a tenth shower of I recall correctly. No big deal dude but it is what it is. And quite frankly added weight is never welcome in a performance car or any kind especially when you don’t get any better performance from the vehicle. Where was I wrong in what I said here?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 08:03 PM   #8
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
Most of the youtubers said the LCI feels more reactive. On the other hand, looking at random videos where they did a 0-60 the pace seems very much to fall in the same window, before and after.

Nothing seems out of place there: It gained a little weight, but picked up shorter gears and a little bit of instantaneous torque. My experience says gears always make it feel a little peppier, even when the measured acceleration doesn't much change, and that is not an insubstantial amount of torque immediately available at any RPM.

Personally were I wanting to complain about the LCI, I'd go directly to losing too many buttons, then penny pinching to no good end. Not sure the weight would come up. Although I suppose it's possible that if I was drinking, and just wanted to complain because the old lady was mad at me and I hadn't been laid in a while, I might get to the weight. Not sure on that. We'll have to wait until I commit my next marital blunder.
Well it did gain 200lbs. That’s not a debate. You realize that right? I mean you want an already heavy vehicle to be even heavier for no reason? Except so they can add batteries? Think about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 09:07 AM   #9
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by R///MG View Post
I believe the peak HP and Torque is still exactly the same between the Pre LCI and LCI 617hp and 553tq

I've seen a pretty even split from online reviews that either the pre lci or the lci is maybe 1-2tenths quicker. The difference is so small you can chalk it up to other variables. Its possible that the electric motors can make the car feel quicker under normal driving but considering what the tests reviews are saying and the fact that BMW didn't advertise the LCI being faster I think both cars are the same if you are going full throttle.

Just my 2 cents. I would not mind either model honestly because they both have pros/cons.
      05-10-2024, 09:11 AM   #10
CLTMDA
Rep
Drives: ‘73 Mustang Conv, Lucid Air GT

Don't we all get heavier as we age?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 11:50 AM   #11
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoy2001 View Post
Well it did gain 200lbs. That’s not a debate. You realize that right? I mean you want an already heavy vehicle to be even heavier for no reason? Except so they can add batteries? Think about it.
You are not the only person with an internet connection and the ability to click keys on a keyboard.

But no, I don't know that. In fact, I can't find any reference between the 2 that shows a 200 lb weight gain. Most major sights have the pre LCI and LCI within 100 lbs. When you can show me evidence of someone weighing both and getting that difference, I'll totally buy it. Until then, the actual gain appears to me to be questionable. This isn't an arguement per se, I just see many numbers floating about and they can't all be right.

I probably should have prefaced that by saying I tend to take most weights on the internet as suspect, since most of them are coming from a source that did not actually weigh a car.

In any event, I said it does weigh a little more, and I do believe a couple percent could be fairly described, as a little more. I also said it has a little more instantly available torque, also seemingly fair comment.

It is not heavier for no reason, there are reasons.

Lastly, yes, I would agree that cars getting heavier, is in general, not good.
Appreciate 0