BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-27-2019, 10:26 PM   #1
eightd2
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Black Sapphire Metallic

Just got my 2019 X5 BSM. It seems that most waxes/polishes cause minor fine scratches. I am not certain if it is my applicator which is a microfiber sponge/pad, the microfiber towel I use to remove the product or the product itself. You have to look very closely to see the lines, but they can be seen. I have read where Black Sapphire Metallic is difficult to keep pristine, but any advice and product recommendations would be appreciated. I want a "deep shine, but there is so much metallic in the paint, am I asking for too much?

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 05:33 PM   #2
LAMF
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4MC

Garage List
2020 X4MC  [0.00]
First, the dealer may had some help with the swirls and marring, second it’s most likely what your using in the way of applicator, removal towels and or your technique. I had a M4 with the same color and I put a ceramic Coating one it, with that said your maintenance routine will be most important. If your plan is to use a drive through car wash your going to get many swirls and marring. If I knew how to upload pics I’d send you some of my M4. You may want to do some research on the proper procedures to remove swirls and washing. If you want to PM I will assist in any way I can.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 10:19 PM   #3
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M- 40i

Tell me about the life of ceramic coatings? What can you expect to pay for that on an X5
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 10:18 AM   #4
LAMF
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4MC

Garage List
2020 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbmwguy View Post
Tell me about the life of ceramic coatings? What can you expect to pay for that on an X5
Well I use all consumer grade coatings and apply them myself. I’ve been using coating for about 7 years, from my experience I’d say 2 years with weekly washing, garage kept and maintenance sprays to take the brunt of abuse. As far as cost, that will depend on the condition of your paint. Paint prep is the most important step before applying a coating or even a wax. That will involve decontamination of the paint and polish. The polishing is where your cost can add up, I did my X5 the day after I picked it up and did not let the dealer touch my car. For me doing a one step polish took me 8 hours. Assuming you paint is in good shape I would say $1200-$1500 depending upon the product they are using. One thing, don’t waste your money if your driving through a car wash. Coatings are not bullet proof, they just make maintenance super easy..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 03:21 PM   #5
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

I agree with the above. The coatings do help, but you will definitely have to maintain your finish
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 12:00 PM   #6
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightd2 View Post
Just got my 2019 X5 BSM. It seems that most waxes/polishes cause minor fine scratches. I am not certain if it is my applicator which is a microfiber sponge/pad, the microfiber towel I use to remove the product or the product itself. You have to look very closely to see the lines, but they can be seen. I have read where Black Sapphire Metallic is difficult to keep pristine, but any advice and product recommendations would be appreciated. I want a "deep shine, but there is so much metallic in the paint, am I asking for too much?

Thanks for the help!
There is something very wrong here.

First, most waxes will NOT cause minor scratches, they generally do not contain abrasives unless you use a "cleaner wax".

Polishes by nature contain abrasives and will scratch if you cannot work them out properly with a machine polisher like a DA unit. Pad type and polish type play a role here, too.

The truth is that most imperfections are introduced or exacerbated by poor washing technique. I have a nearly 3 year old BSM 340i that I have never had to polish and the finish is nearly pristine.

You need to look backward to your washing process for the root cause of the swirls or scratches.
Appreciate 0