BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
jrevans
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i, 2021 X5MC

Recommendations for OBD2 Scanner?

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I did a search and couldn't find any info.

I would like to start coding my G05, but am having trouble finding recommendations for a good scanner. Anyone want to recommend one?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

I bought

AntiBreak ENET Rj45 Cable ethernet Connector Tools to OBD Interface Cable Coding F-Series https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D8RHBNB..._x8JLDb4Q8PKT9

Works fine on my G05 with esys so far
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #3
jrevans
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i, 2021 X5MC

Awesome. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
Fuzzy Master
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrevans View Post
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I did a search and couldn't find any info.

I would like to start coding my G05, but am having trouble finding recommendations for a good scanner. Anyone want to recommend one?

TIA
I think you're kinda putting the cart before the horse, if you'll pardon the antiquated analogy.

There is a ton of info on this forum about coding (don't limit your search to just the X5 forum), but basically you need to determine what you want to code (which option/feature), then determine what method/software you want to use (i.e. E-Sys, Carly, Bimmercode, etc) and then see what OBD adapter/cable will work best with that software.

For example, E-Sys works best with an Ethernet adapter, while Bimmercode lists supported adapters on their website.

I would suggest you do more research to understand what you're getting into and how deep you want to get into it. BMW releases i-step upgrades pretty regularly, and every time you will lose all coding and will need to be prepared to re-code.
Appreciate 1
homerrr132.00