10-17-2019, 02:05 PM   #23
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmt View Post
We have a proposal from the dealer for a Wallbox plus, installation included for 1000€ (tax included).
I need to check if the logging of electricity usage is enough to charge the costs to our company
It doesn't come with a meter that logs the electrity usage so you would need to get that in addition to the charger. Putting a meter between your source and the charger should be sufficient in terms of charging for your company.

Seems to be a good price though, I received an offer for around 1200 euro (tax incl) without installation ...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #24
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

One thing I did notice now looking into multiple companies are things like "charging cards" and how many nodes you can use, using a specific card, in Belgium and in Europe more in general.

The more expensive charger/card deal comes with more charging points - cenergy for example has tons of deals with other companies and offers a big range of chargers that can be used.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 03:20 PM   #25
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

I had an offer for a Schneider evlink wallbox 22kw charger 2083excl vat, installation inclusive.

I know I can't charge 22kw but probably won't be my last eletrical vihicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 08:20 AM   #26
2REP
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e M

I'm awaiting delivery in January so it's time to think about feeding the beast

I haven't requested any offers yet but what is the typical wait time before installation you were given?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 12:51 AM   #27
vimavi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

NewMotion charger Business and Home Advanced

We do have NewMotion Business charge points and Home Advanced chargers in some garages of coworkers.
NewMotion is a Dutch company (just taken over bij Shell).
Works great and for the Home chargers NewMotion pays the charging costs directly to the coworkers with charging points at home.
NewMotion/Shell charging passes are the most accepted in all of Europe.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:16 AM   #28
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I just plug in 220 V when I arrive at home around 8 pm. It charges at 10A. The next morning when I leave at 7 it is fully charged. For a complete charge with empty battery the time might not be enough. However I have experienced that the last %'s may take 1.5 hour. I don't think for 30% ? better charging speed the 2000 euro investment is worth it. If I buy a full electric in the future I will invest in the best that will be available at that time.

I have the new motion card it works in lots of European chargers. I only use it when a need a good parking spot.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #29
Popp
Finland
Rep
Drives: Looking for a BMW G30 530e

I'm looking for a neat solution that supports two EV/PHEVs, somebody suggested this one, seems like the best option for two cars: https://chargestorm.se/en/products/c...orm-connected/
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #30
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I have the new motion card it works in lots of European chargers. I only use it when a need a good parking spot.
If you use a public charging spot aren't you afraid some nitwit will yank the charging lid from the car? That seems something very inviting for vandals and it makes me very hesitant to use public chargers.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 03:56 PM   #31
Anterialis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 45e

Please remember that charging the 45e from a normal socket at home using Mode 2 is NOT recommended. In Norway, this is forbidden, only "rescue" charging is allowed. Reason being fire hazard. Your outlets are not made for supplying that amount of power for that long. They get hot and may cause a fire.

At least touch the outlet and the metal pins of the male part of the cord coming from the car to make sure it's not hot (after active charging for let's say 2-3 hours. And do not let the weight of the "box" on the cord hang from the socket (I believe the socket is only supposed to tolerate 0,5 kg, at least here in Norway) as it may bend the pins on the connector and cause a bad connection —> heat development —> fire.

Mode 3 (wall mounted charging station) is safer, probably a lot safer.

</ Worse case scenario mood>
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #32
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anterialis View Post
Please remember that charging the 45e from a normal socket at home using Mode 2 is NOT recommended. In Norway, this is forbidden, only "rescue" charging is allowed. Reason being fire hazard. Your outlets are not made for supplying that amount of power for that long. They get hot and may cause a fire.

At least touch the outlet and the metal pins of the male part of the cord coming from the car to make sure it's not hot (after active charging for let's say 2-3 hours. And do not let the weight of the "box" on the cord hang from the socket (I believe the socket is only supposed to tolerate 0,5 kg, at least here in Norway) as it may bend the pins on the connector and cause a bad connection —> heat development —> fire.

Many thanks for the tips. I will certainly try and feel if it's hot. Can never be to careful. This is something to think about.

I just reviewed te manual of the car and it states the different charging possibilities of which charging on a normal 220 V socket is one. It doesn't mention anything as this being an occasional method of charging or that it can't be done on daily base.

The electric cables of my house have been renewed recently and support 35A. The max charging on the normal socket is 10A. The manual does warn to start charging at 6A at unknow circuits.

It does state that the plug must be connected to the socket directly and not to use an extension cable.

I already made an appointment to install a fire alarm in my garage a couple of weeks ago. Have been thinking about this subject before.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:40 PM   #33
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
If you use a public charging spot aren't you afraid some nitwit will yank the charging lid from the car? That seems something very inviting for vandals and it makes me very hesitant to use public chargers.
Yes I have thought about this. One thing is the damage. Another is I think the car is not starting with an open charging door. So I wonder if you could drive off if someone broke it off.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #34
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anterialis View Post

I just reviewed some Dutch articles on the charging subject because I am also worried about safety off course.

They make a difference between charging PHEV and full electric cars. The home charger of a PHEV has a limited charging capacity (10A 2,3 Kw) and the in cable control box protects against overheating. This is why charging takes so long and is thus practically impossible for FE Cars. FE cars have much higher figures and can effectively result in overheating of the socket.

I also reviewed some UK and US files. Even in the US I did not find a warning not to use the home charger on daily base for plug in hybrids. The majority of sites warning about overheating are the ones selling charging stations.

"Most PHEV owners will not need a Level 2 charger," advises Gil Tal, director of the Plug-in Hybrid & Electric Vehicle Research Center at the University of California, Davis. "The Level 1 charger that is provided with the car can charge the battery back to 100 percent overnight."

"Consumer Reports recommends that most electric vehicle buyers, especially those purchasing a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) with a small battery, start with just the included cord, rather than invest in a 240-volt, or Level 2, wall-mounted charger"
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 05:18 PM   #35
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

In most areas of the US won't it take a lot of miles to recover the cost of a charging station when including the cost of electricity and the price of fuel?

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:52 AM   #36
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Some more search. Found this on the Peugeot site for full electric cars

"For starters, it takes a long time: to fully charge the 50kWh batteries in our battery electric vehicles can take 22 hours from a typical domestic household! Secondly, it can be risky if you don't have the socket properly checked, or if you use extension cables or adaptors.
Quite simply, most household wiring was not put in place with electric vehicles in mind. There aren't many household appliances that would draw 10amps consistently for up to 22 hours! So while domestic charging can be perfectly safe, we would always recommend that you have any socket you plan to charge from checked for suitability by a certified electrician
"

The electric cables and system in my house were renovated and the sockets in the garage are on a separate fuse so I think I am ok.

But it is a good point that you have to check if your electric system is up to date. And just plugging it in on the same circuit as the washing machine and dryer or 60 year old house wouldn't be a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 06:09 AM   #37
chrisvd183
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypsbe View Post
One thing I did notice now looking into multiple companies are things like "charging cards" and how many nodes you can use, using a specific card, in Belgium and in Europe more in general.

The more expensive charger/card deal comes with more charging points - cenergy for example has tons of deals with other companies and offers a big range of chargers that can be used.
Correct, I my car are lying a lot of cards :-). I always use bluecorner to be honest. They also have a lot of agreements with other suppliers.
Otherwise ... i'm using the chargenow card from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 07:15 AM   #38
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvd183 View Post
Correct, I my car are lying a lot of cards :-). I always use bluecorner to be honest. They also have a lot of agreements with other suppliers.
Otherwise ... i'm using the chargenow card from BMW.
Do you all charge frequently on public chargings posts?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 09:19 AM   #39
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

I will charge for 90% at home. Will only use public charger if it comes with a nice parking spot or when going on long trips.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #40
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
I will charge for 90% at home. Will only use public charger if it comes with a nice parking spot or when going on long trips.
I think I would go crazy thinking that someone would tear the charging lid or cable out while I'm away
I mean it's not a Renault Zoe or something similar, our cars attract jealous people. I had my fair share of vandalism in the past
So I'm very reluctant about public charging.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      01-25-2020, 11:08 AM   #41
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
I think I would go crazy thinking that someone would tear the charging lid or cable out while I'm away
I mean it's not a Renault Zoe or something similar, our cars attract jealous people. I had my fair share of vandalism in the past
So I'm very reluctant about public charging.
I have never left the car outside at night for charging. The only public spots I use is for 1-2 hours while shopping in town. This is only when it's very busy and it is the only spot left otherwise I would just use a normal spot and don't have to plug in. And probably if it is busy vandals are being watched and less active. If you leave it at night you might make a Full electric driver jealous because he really needed that spot to be able to drive the next day.

Still haven't tried to start the car with the charging lid open to see wat would happen if someone kicks it off.

If you really want to be sure nobody hurts your car you can leave it at home and take the train or even bike to go into town 😜 It doesn't count on your mean electric consumption but it is really environmental friendly 😇
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #42
chrisvd183
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
To be honest from the moment I can use one I'm charging. But I'm looking what card I can use. And also you have to follow the invoices then you know what price they charge you. When the price is to high then i'm looking for an other one ... (charge now card is quiet expensive)

For the rest i'm always charging at home. Arriving at home and directly plugging in.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:52 AM   #43
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
To be honest from the moment I can use one I'm charging. But I'm looking what card I can use. And also you have to follow the invoices then you know what price they charge you. When the price is to high then i'm looking for an other one ... (charge now card is quiet expensive)

For the rest i'm always charging at home. Arriving at home and directly plugging in.
What cards are interesting and don't charge to much.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #44
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What cards are interesting and don't charge to much.
I have shell recharge (former new motion). When I ordered it 4 years ago the card was free. It is coupled to the credit card of my company. I only pay a small fee for each charge (little more than 25 cent). Be careful because the price per Kw is not always obvious. You can see it by scanning the code on the charger in the app. I have added some different charge print screens and the invoice of December. I plugged in twice because I made a mistake the first time. So two transaction costs were billed. Not a big deal but still. You can see that the different charge sessions with +/- the same KwH can have almost tripled price. If you fully charge the 45e it will probably have used 25 Kwh that could start to make a difference. The most expensive one was is Germany. It started with a connecting fee of nearly 5 euro that I wasn't aware of. Some even bill the time that you occupy the charging spot.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0