BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #23
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Sorry you didn't like my last post. It's a forum reality.

The cameras in your G05 are securely mounted using screw points and likely a guide rail. There's very little variation from car to car unless BMW has issues with other material OEMs.

Keep in mind not every parking situation is interpreted the same by the DSP software. It may be only certain scenarios that cause the worst case visual outcomes you see on the forums.
It is not that I didn't like it, it is just not accurate given what we have seen in this forum. The overwhelming majority of members do not have any "misalignment" in the camera images while a few have it constantly no matter what software version the report to have. We can just leave it there or you can have the last word on that if you feel the need. Thanks for the info you provided.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 08:23 PM   #24
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Sorry you didn't like my last post. It's a forum reality.

The cameras in your G05 are securely mounted using screw points and likely a guide rail. There's very little variation from car to car unless BMW has issues with other material OEMs.

Keep in mind not every parking situation is interpreted the same by the DSP software. It may be only certain scenarios that cause the worst case visual outcomes you see on the forums.
It is not that I didn't like it, it is just not accurate given what we have seen in this forum. The overwhelming majority of members do not have any "misalignment" in the camera images while a few have it constantly no matter what software version the report to have. We can just leave it there or you can have the last word on that if you feel the need. Thanks for the info you provided.
Gotcha.

Based on what I know of these systems, if it's the module, it's only because of a hardware design change or the ISP/DSP chip had a silicon revision to correct errata.

Again I suspect the module software is misinterpreting some parking situations. Or there's a camera alignment issue in some iStep versions.

I suppose it's also possible cameras are being manufactured improperly with lenses improperly installed.
      06-15-2019, 08:27 PM   #25
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I am not saying that it's impossible for this to be a software issue. But if this is an issue to be corrected by a software update to our cars (let's define THAT as a "software issue"), one would have expected way way way more such misalignment reports than we've heard here (and there have been some assertion that we're a whiny bunch, so then for sure we would have had way more such reports — like all of us here- type of more).

Disagree? If so, I am still curious regarding the theory of operation of this alleged software defect that fits these observations.
1. Many cars don't have 3D surround view.

2. Some consumers don't realize/notice the issue

3. Some don't care

4. Some don't have a personality style to complain

5. Some don't visit forums

6. Maybe BMW/ODM software team has made changes to the camera module software and made it's worse/better in some iStep versions. So, maybe not everyone is impacted same.

Nevertheless, it's 99% a software issue. The module is what it is. It's a Renesas DSP with the associated glue logic and the rest is software implementation.
1 granted. 2-5 generally or completely don't apply to members of this forum. 6 ok, maybe, maybe not, none of us have any sense of that.

The last part is not what I mean by "theory of operation of this issue". It is irrelevant what processor is used or who did it. What I mean by the question is that I can't visualize a software defect where the system still generally works, yet misaligns one or the other side by an angle and stays there for a specific car constantly from then onwards. I can certainly see how a physical misalignment does that, but not how software does that.

Well, to be fair, I CAN see a way — if calibration image/data gets corrupted, this could definitely occur this way. But a dealer recal should just clear that calibration data and start over, fixing it. Yet in this specific report this was not effective.

Anyway, I am not trying to argue about theoreticals, but it is interesting to speculate. What I really want is a) a decent software/UX/QA team at BMW, and b) BMW full transparency on what they change in each version, in digestible form of course.
There is no dealer recalibration in a digital system such as the one in the G series cars.
      06-15-2019, 08:29 PM   #26
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am not saying that it's impossible for this to be a software issue. But if this is an issue to be corrected by a software update to our cars (let's define THAT as a "software issue"), one would have expected way way way more such misalignment reports than we've heard here (and there have been some assertion that we're a whiny bunch, so then for sure we would have had way more such reports — like all of us here- type of more).

Disagree? If so, I am still curious regarding the theory of operation of this alleged software defect that fits these observations.

3. Some don't care

6. Maybe BMW/ODM software team has made changes to the camera module software and made it's worse/better in some iStep versions. So, maybe not everyone is impacted same.

Nevertheless, it's 99% a software issue. The module is what it is. It's a Renesas DSP with the associated glue logic and the rest is software implementation.
1 granted. 2-5 generally or completely don't apply to members of this forum. 6 ok, maybe, maybe not, none of us have any sense of that.

The last part is not what I mean by "theory of operation of this issue". It is irrelevant what processor is used or who did it. What I mean by the question is that I can't visualize a software defect where the system still generally works, yet misaligns one or the other side by an angle and stays there for a specific car constantly from then onwards. I can certainly see how a physical misalignment does that, but not how software does that.

Well, to be fair, I CAN see a way — if calibration image/data gets corrupted, this could definitely occur this way. But a dealer recal should just clear that calibration data and start over, fixing it. Yet in this specific report this was not effective.

Anyway, I am not trying to argue about theoreticals, but it is interesting to speculate. What I really want is a) a decent software/UX/QA team at BMW, and b) BMW full transparency on what they change in each version, in digestible form of course.
There is no dealer recalibration in a digital system such as the one in the G series cars.
Perhaps. Your statement does mean they are all lying to us. Certainly some are, but it's hard to believe it is all of them. My guys aren't, they're rock stars.

I did go back and re-read your explanations. They are certainly plausible. It will be interesting to eventually learn the details.
      06-15-2019, 08:37 PM   #27
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

3. Some don't care

Perhaps. Your statement does mean they are all lying to us. Certainly some are, but it's hard to believe it is all of them. My guys aren't, they're rock stars.

I did go back and re-read your explanations. They are certainly plausible. It will be interesting to eventually learn the details.
Dealer staff follows past knowledge, TSBs, direction from their shop foreman, and info from TSARA cases opened.

I can't even begin to tell you how this can turn into misinformation. Dealers are used to recalibration from the 7 or so years of experience repairing the analog Valeo system used in F cars. Beyond that, I couldn't comment on their knowledge or lack thereof.
      06-16-2019, 01:24 AM   #28
Baboum68
Private
France
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

3. Some don't care

Dealer staff follows past knowledge, TSBs, direction from their shop foreman, and info from TSARA cases opened.

I can't even begin to tell you how this can turn into misinformation. Dealers are used to recalibration from the 7 or so years of experience repairing the analog Valeo system used in F cars. Beyond that, I couldn't comment on their knowledge or lack thereof.
So the conclusion is that I have to go to the dealer to get sw version .45?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #29
havenyoung
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
I just leased a new G20 330i with Parking Assistant Package.
I have the same problem on my driver's side camera. It is misaligned like /0| in top view.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 01:40 PM   #30
havenyoung
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlou View Post
FWIW, I was originally on 03/2019.35, but it appears they upgraded my software to 03/2019.48 now.

Based on my experience, hard to say if it's s/w issue or not. They definitely seem to have tried steps to realign the camera, and they also upgraded s/w it seems. Now they want to replace h/w module even though the issue seems to be fixed for me now.

So, in my case between attempts to realign the camera and s/w update it appears 1 and/or both of those worked.

Based on the advice above, I may just let them replace the h/w module also when the part arrives...
Hi OP, is your camera issue resolved?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 02:20 PM   #31
rlou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e 2017 X3 2.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by havenyoung View Post
Hi OP, is your camera issue resolved?
Well, yes but kind of no... The part has arrived at my local dealership and I am bringing my X5 back in tomorrow to have the work completed. I'll update status once I receive my vehicle back, but keep in mind currently as far as I can tell my camera issue is already resolved. But even though visually it appears the issue is gone, I'm still bringing back the vehicle to have the part replaced anyways...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 02:26 PM   #32
havenyoung
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, yes but kind of no... The part has arrived at my local dealership and I am bringing my X5 back in tomorrow to have the work completed. I'll update status once I receive my vehicle back, but keep in mind currently as far as I can tell my camera issue is already resolved. But even though visually it appears the issue is gone, I'm still bringing back the vehicle to have the part replaced anyways...
That's good to know!
My new G20 is also showing the same issue and I'm very glad to have found your post!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #33
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
So rlou, you're saying that upgrading to .45 alone has already fixed your camera misalignment issue?
      07-16-2019, 03:06 PM   #34
rlou
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So rlou, you're saying that upgrading to .45 alone has already fixed your camera misalignment issue?
LexxM3: refer to my original post. On my last visit back in June, the paperwork shows they did a number of troubleshooting steps, most notably attempting to recalibrate the camera. No where does the paperwork show they upgraded the software, but I know I previously had .35 (since purchase), but after the last service visit I'm now on .48

So, between whatever "recalibrating" steps they attempted and a software upgrade to .48 it would seem to me something worked to fix the issue. But it's only me at the moment that believes the issue is fixed. The service department's notes in my paperwork indicate the h/w module needs to be replaced, the part was ordered and is now at the dealership. And that's where I am at now related to the issue...
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      07-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #35
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
LexxM3: refer to my original post. On my last visit back in June, the paperwork shows they did a number of troubleshooting steps, most notably attempting to recalibrate the camera. No where does the paperwork show they upgraded the software, but I know I previously had .35 (since purchase), but after the last service visit I'm now on .48

So, between whatever "recalibrating" steps they attempted and a software upgrade to .48 it would seem to me something worked to fix the issue. But it's only me at the moment that believes the issue is fixed. The service department's notes in my paperwork indicate the h/w module needs to be replaced, the part was ordered and is now at the dealership. And that's where I am at now related to the issue...
Ok, understood, thanks. So we have an unusual situation here where the customer thinks the core issue is (somehow) resolved but the service department doesn't. And regardless, no one knows or has any idea at all what the root cause was or is. Awesome. This is not going to bite anyone in the ass again, no chance ...
      07-16-2019, 11:30 PM   #36
havenyoung
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Just want to add that I have .48 on my G20 and it is showing the issue. So maybe the recalibration did work.

Update: I posted a thread in G20 forum with some pictures added. https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1634539

I think my camera just fixed itself...
The attached images are from this morning and just now.
Attached Images

Last edited by havenyoung; 07-17-2019 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 12:37 PM   #37
rlou
Private First Class
Rep

OK update on my issue, I brought my X5 back to service to have the TRSVC control unit replaced after waiting for the part to arrive from Germany. Here is how the service report reads:

INSTALLED NEW TRSVC CONTROL UNIT IN VEHICLE AND ENCODED/PROGRAMMED VEHICLE. UPON GOING INTO REVERSE, RECEIVED MESSAGE OF "CAMERA MALFUNCTION" ON IDRIVE SCREEN WITH NO VIDEO FEED. SPOKE TO FOREMAN AND REOPENED TSARA CASE. FOUND THAT WHEN REPLACING NEW TRSVC WITH OLD MODULE, CAMERA NOW WORKS AND IS ALIGNED PROPERLY. HARD RESET ON TRSVC FIXED ISSUE.

So, kind of following suit to the title of my post, again another visit with strange results. In this case, it worked out ok since in the end my issue is resolved. But, the overall experience on how this issue was resolved by BMW is very strange. It feels more like blind luck vs systematic diagnostics that worked in my case. And not sure how to read the fact my original TRSVC control unit that was deemed defective turns out to be good, and the replacement TRSVC control unit sent from Germany turns out to be defective.

Anyways, still love my X5. So far this has been my only issue leading to a dealership visit, which is overall fairly minor and did end up getting resolved.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 12:51 PM   #38
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
OK update on my issue, I brought my X5 back to service to have the TRSVC control unit replaced after waiting for the part to arrive from Germany. Here is how the service report reads:

INSTALLED NEW TRSVC CONTROL UNIT IN VEHICLE AND ENCODED/PROGRAMMED VEHICLE. UPON GOING INTO REVERSE, RECEIVED MESSAGE OF "CAMERA MALFUNCTION" ON IDRIVE SCREEN WITH NO VIDEO FEED. SPOKE TO FOREMAN AND REOPENED TSARA CASE. FOUND THAT WHEN REPLACING NEW TRSVC WITH OLD MODULE, CAMERA NOW WORKS AND IS ALIGNED PROPERLY. HARD RESET ON TRSVC FIXED ISSUE.

So, kind of following suit to the title of my post, again another visit with strange results. In this case, it worked out ok since in the end my issue is resolved. But, the overall experience on how this issue was resolved by BMW is very strange. It feels more like blind luck vs systematic diagnostics that worked in my case. And not sure how to read the fact my original TRSVC control unit that was deemed defective turns out to be good, and the replacement TRSVC control unit sent from Germany turns out to be defective.

Anyways, still love my X5. So far this has been my only issue leading to a dealership visit, which is overall fairly minor and did end up getting resolved.
Thanks for the update and what a mess. This entire situation was the exact opposite of getting to root cause. The "fix" was clearly random in this context.
      10-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #39
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

My newly delivered M50i (9/16/19) has the drivers side camera misaligned. My delivered software version is 2019.07.40

Going in for new software and other fixes this Friday.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 11:07 AM   #40
BMW lifer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 40i 2019

Mine is due to be fixed with a new camera. Dealer denied sw would fix
Appreciate 0