BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #1
s_wood
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

G05 Coding: Lane Departure Warning

The iDrive lane departure warning on my 2019 X5 (G05) does not active at speeds below 40 mph. Is there any way to code the lane departure warning so that it activates at a lower speed, say 25 or 30 mph?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

3E52\VMIN_SPURVERLASSEN_MPH from p_40 to any value between p_00 to p_35

not tested so please report back
Appreciate 2
LexxM31698.50
s_wood2.50
      10-04-2019, 01:23 PM   #3
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Mild hijack: how about speed at which blind spot detection operates? Indicators and, optionally, anti-collision assists.
      10-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Just a thought... just because the developers created these internal symbols for configuring lane departure warning doesn't mean the system works safely at those speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #5
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
Just a thought... just because the developers created these internal symbols for configuring lane departure warning doesn't mean the system works safely at those speeds.

Quote:

Valid point, of course, but there is a safety gradient, not black or white. Driver support/advisory systems that indicate but don't intervene are safer to mess around with than interventions (which are basically not safe to mess around with at all).

If your concern is that incompetent people will kill themselves ... also possible, of course, but the level of commitment and competence needed to set up full coding environment (not Bimmercode or other intentionally simplified app) is actually rather extensive (more commitment and stubbornness needed to complete than raw competence, however), so currently there is natural filtering in place.
      10-04-2019, 03:35 PM   #6
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
This is a coding post, in the coding section.

I suggest you contact the site owners and ask them to remove the coding section if you have a fundamental problem with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #7
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've no problem with it. Just that for the most part the internals of iDrive is not publicly documented.

Quote:
This is a coding post, in the coding section.

I suggest you contact the site owners and ask them to remove the coding section if you have a fundamental problem with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 02:14 AM   #8
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
I've no problem with it. Just that for the most part the internals of iDrive is not publicly documented.
There are different types of coding:
1. unlocking regional coding - features that work and are tested extensively but not always available in a specific region e.g. eTJA, Automatic Lane Change, NGHB, Automatic Speed Limit adoption, remote engine start
2. Features that are blocked by BMW as they are illegal or dangerous e.g. Video in Motion, closing the trunk from inside the car
3. Features that are active but have variances e.g. LDW activation speed which is set at different levels in different countries, drive modes, etc
4. New features such as Traffic Light Recognition, Urban Cruise Control, Emergency Lane development
5. Retrofit features - eTJA, enhanced blutetooth, etc
6. Codes that have no real useful purpose but are available because the coder didn't do their research properly e.g. coasting codes

ViM is the single most dangerous coding change I have yet to code, but its one of the most common changes applied by owners. It's available to code on consumer systems such as Bimmercode, but it is the one change that can easily kill you.

The coding changes I have applied to my own car enhance safety and improve the driver and passenger experience. Thats the point of public coding.

I use ISTA to determine the impact of a coding change. It includes a live view of every ECU in the car interacting with each other. It shows if a coding change has introduced any errors in modules communicating with each other. New un-released features can light up ISTA like a xmas tree, but most leave it green and happy.

The documentation included with ISTA provides more info on each ECU and features than is generally publicly available, but does not go into a code by code description - that's up to the coder to figure out.

This is a coding section. It's implied that people will ask for help with codes, and post new codes as they discover them.

This should be obvious, but this is a free public forum, not a chargeable service. It's up to the coder to decide if they want to make the changes and accept 100% of the responsibility for that change whether it impacts their car performance, safety, insurance and/or warranty. We are all grown ups here, and posters should not need to justify helping others or answering a question.

It takes hours/days/weeks to figure out how to unlock some of these codes, and they are provided to users for free. The support in implementing the codes is free. Your post has irritated me in that whether you intended to or not, you implied that by answering the question I am putting the OP in jeopardy. I have explained myself but will not be making any future codes available as its simply not worth the hassle.

Last edited by archivedaccount; 10-05-2019 at 02:20 AM..
Appreciate 3
      10-05-2019, 07:00 AM   #9
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
. Your post has irritated me in that whether you intended to or not, you implied that by answering the question I am putting the OP in jeopardy. I have explained myself but will not be making any future codes available as its simply not worth the hassle.
I'm sorry I irritated you, I didn't mean to do that. I just wanted to point out that BMW, like most companies, doesn't publicly document how the internals their software works, and you can't be sure of the impact of even the most simple change.

I know doing reverse engineering of software is hard work; I've done it several times in the past. At times in a "hostile" environment. I know there many who want to code their cars, and you are a great resource to them.
Appreciate 2
sahajesh2294.00
      10-05-2019, 08:02 AM   #10
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

There are risks of course, but it has to be accepted that it's buyer beware, otherwise no-one will ever post anything coding related.

I also don't think there is demand for some of the codes here. After much effort and testing, I figured out how to unlock regional coding restrictions on G05/07, making features like Auto Speed Limit Assistant available, but there was practically zero interest. No benefit to me as I already have the feature unlocked in the UK.

A really cool feature like aSLA that enhances the user experience and safety, while practically ensuring you don't get a speeding ticket, and no-one was interested. Contrast that with a few fancy, but practically useless graphics like in Advanced Driving View, and everyone's going nuts
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 12:13 PM   #11
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
There are risks of course, but it has to be accepted that it's buyer beware, otherwise no-one will ever post anything coding related.

I also don't think there is demand for some of the codes here. After much effort and testing, I figured out how to unlock regional coding restrictions on G05/07, making features like Auto Speed Limit Assistant available, but there was practically zero interest. No benefit to me as I already have the feature unlocked in the UK.

A really cool feature like aSLA that enhances the user experience and safety, while practically ensuring you don't get a speeding ticket, and no-one was interested. Contrast that with a few fancy, but practically useless graphics like in Advanced Driving View, and everyone's going nuts
Speaking as someone very technical and doing coding for the first time ... setting up coding is a time consuming, unpredictable, complex, and unnecessarily emotional process — not because it needs to be, but because it is. Then, one has to get used to the late 80s-style software environment and its idiosyncrasies, one step at a time trying not to break anything too badly. It takes time from start of interest to comfort with slightly more advanced functions, particularly when you have a demanding day job (well, days, evenings, and weekends kind of a job).

What I am saying is that I think a lack of contribution to some of your posts is not a lack of interest, but rather a progression.

For myself, in a given forum reading session, I read all the coding posts first, then software observation discussions, then failures, then see if I can help anyone with accessories or a bit of experience, then look at pics, and skip all the rest of the pricing and configuration jibber jabber. You did see coding as number one, right? You're number one :-).
      10-05-2019, 12:35 PM   #12
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Contrast that with a few fancy, but practically useless graphics like in Advanced Driving View, and everyone's going nuts
By the way, I am one that is pretty excited about the Advanced Driving View and hope to remain so after I've had a chance to experience it directly myself (but I suspect I will be disappointed). What I've wanted from an SUV for the last decade is a full 360 around the car situational awareness at speed and this seems to finally be a step towards that direction. It's crazy that we still have concepts like blind spots with all these cameras, sensors, and screens.
      10-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #13
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
By the way, I am one that is pretty excited about the Advanced Driving View and hope to remain so after I've had a chance to experience it directly myself (but I suspect I will be disappointed). What I've wanted from an SUV for the last decade is a full 360 around the car situational awareness at speed and this seems to finally be a step towards that direction. It's crazy that we still have concepts like blind spots with all these cameras, sensors, and screens.
It's pretty good, it's just if you have Assisted Driving and nav running in the HUD, you'll hardly ever even notice it.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #14
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
It's pretty good, it's just if you have Assisted Driving and nav running in the HUD, you'll hardly ever even notice it.
Yes, I wish that display was in the HUD!
      09-06-2021, 05:06 PM   #15
s_wood
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Lane Departure Warning: Code for Lower Speed?

The iDrive lane departure warning on my 2019 X5 (G05) does not active at speeds below 40 mph. Is there any way to code the lane departure warning so that it activates at a lower speed, say 25 or 30 mph?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 03:28 PM   #16
niming
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I coded this field to a new value. The description of the lane departure warning setting displays the new value but the feature does not turn on until the car reaches 40mph. Possibly there is another field that needs to be coded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archivedaccount View Post

Appreciate 0