BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-17-2019, 07:59 PM   #67
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Thanks! I am sure the iDrive update will keep me busy when I get the car back. I’ll have to take a closer look at the safety settings.
I guess it could be that the braking is just built in and we don't need the setting but that doesn't seem to be the case given the number of reports that there is no braking happening. I think someone posted they tested with cushions or play tent and it never stopped.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #68
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I guess it could be that the braking is just built in and we don't need the setting but that doesn't seem to be the case given the number of reports that there is no braking happening. I think someone posted they tested with cushions or play tent and it never stopped.
Yes, Lexx reminded me of that thread and it got me laughing pretty good. See my reply to him above.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 09:37 PM   #69
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Avail in US on my 2020
Attached Images

10-17-2019, 09:53 PM   #70
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjays View Post
Avail in US on my 2020
I wonder if the difference is being a 2020 or being a M50i. This is assuming you are running .55 or previous and not that it is part of .59.

My guess is they may have upgraded the sensors on the 2020s so it is now available.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 09:56 PM   #71
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Yes M50i and on .55
      10-17-2019, 09:58 PM   #72
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Yes M50i and on .55
Okay good, thanks. What we need now is a 2020 40i on .55 to see if the option is available for them. If so, then we can add that to the list of differences in iDrive between the two years.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 11:40 PM   #73
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Okay good, thanks. What we need now is a 2020 40i on .55 to see if the option is available for them. If so, then we can add that to the list of differences in iDrive between the two years.
Option is available on my 2020 40i on .53, exactly as above.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 05:54 AM   #74
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I am the OP. Mine is a 2019 40i. Software version when I get it back TBD.

However, it shows the info posted above in my drivers guide, which SHOULD be specific to my car. But at this point, who knows if even that is accurate

I’ll update and let you know when I get the car back.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 05:58 AM   #75
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Avail in US on my 2020
Thanks so much!
I’ll look to see if this is the same in my 2019 40i and will report back when I get the car, which also will have an iDrive update. Might be a few weeks but I will check back in.

Thanks to all!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 07:25 AM   #76
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I am the OP. Mine is a 2019 40i. Software version when I get it back TBD.

However, it shows the info posted above in my drivers guide, which SHOULD be specific to my car. But at this point, who knows if even that is accurate

I’ll update and let you know when I get the car back.
It has shown that in all of our Driver's Guides but the option is not available.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 11:10 AM   #77
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

Quote:
Actually they work extremely well, you should take yours in to get fixed since there must be an issue with your sensors, cameras, etc.
Agreed, backup assistant works very well for me as well! The only way I see such accident happen is pole just suddenly erected on my backup route minutes after I drove in. It needs to be checked with the dealership for sure. On the topic of acceleration - it does accelerate real fast and you need to keep your foot on break. I think they did not design it well - car should be remembering the backup route but YOU should own gas and break pedals, it should not drive on its own until all these electronics are solid in their operations!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #78
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:

It’s plastic. Probably less protective than a rubbermade fridge storage container. It just crumbled. I feel like telling the shop to not put another one on the car. It is totally useless. And costing me (ie my insurance) thousands.

When I buy a high-end car, I kinda expect it to include a bumper that works.
Natahoa,
I believe I have found a solution for you when you get your car back. For a slight charge, it can be arranged to give you real metal bumpers.

Attached Images

Appreciate 6
VTENGR1043.50
wrickem2101.00
dbull255.50
jimv0326.00
sygazelle11091.00
      10-20-2019, 06:37 PM   #79
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
On the topic of acceleration - it does accelerate real fast and you need to keep your foot on break. I think they did not design it well - car should be remembering the backup route but YOU should own gas and break pedals, it should not drive on its own until all these electronics are solid in their operations!
I think what you are experiencing is the normal speed the vehicle goes at idle. It should be the same speed that occurs when you are not using the backup assist since it does not provide any acceleration or braking.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 09:41 PM   #80
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=Marty in Bgm;25368209]Natahoa,
I believe I have found a solution for you when you get your car back. For a slight charge, it can be arranged to give you real metal bumpers.

No WONDER you haven’t been on this thread for two days. That took some WORK ... but worth every key tap.

I’m in. Where do I sign up? I’d have FOR SURE the baddest Bimmer in town. No blackout grilles for me ... I want the BEEF.

But for realz, I had to put my last (of three) cat down suddenly yesterday. I don’t normally mourn pets, because usually they badly need to be put to rest. This was so unexpected. I’ve had cats in my house since college. This gave me the best laugh EVER. 😽
❤️ ❤️ ❤️
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 09:54 PM   #81
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
Agreed, backup assistant works very well for me as well! The only way I see such accident happen is pole just suddenly erected on my backup route minutes after I drove in. It needs to be checked with the dealership for sure. On the topic of acceleration - it does accelerate real fast and you need to keep your foot on break. I think they did not design it well - car should be remembering the backup route but YOU should own gas and break pedals, it should not drive on its own until all these electronics are solid in their operations!
Thanks for the validation!
I agree. Part of the problem was that I was distracted by the tech, it happened so fast. I did have my foot on the break. Thank god, or I would have going faster for sure. It is a bad design, that it accelerates so fast. I just didn’t expect it to NOT follow my incoming route.

Lots of good comments here and on a related thread that Turtleboy started. Very mixed experiences. I’m not sure I will dig for some nebulous setting. I just know not to trust that feature again unless I’m backing into a lot of open space, and keeping it very slow.

I think I’ll have my hands full with the iDrive updates. Fingers crossed I don’t have any issues, but I expect to need to check out and change some settings. Who knows?

I really am over the Bimmer Mystery Tech. It was fun while it lasted but in a year or two I’ll trade it out for a vehicle with bumpers and I’ll know what to look for - such as rear collision avoidance at slow speeds.

I mean, normally you do NOT drive fast when backing up. Having a speed-related governor on that feature, going forward OR back, is useless.

Either it emergency brakes or it doesn’t. Just let me know so I can plan accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 10:04 PM   #82
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

[QUOTE=natahoa;25368852]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Natahoa,

No WONDER you haven’t been on this thread for two days. That took some WORK ... but worth every key tap.

I’m in. Where do I sign up? I’d have FOR SURE the baddest Bimmer in town. No blackout grilles for me ... I want the BEEF.

But for realz, I had to put my last (of three) cat down suddenly yesterday. I don’t normally mourn pets, because usually they badly need to be put to rest. This was so unexpected. I’ve had cats in my house since college. This gave me the best laugh EVER. 😽
❤️ ❤️ ❤️
Well, I knew I was going out on a limb but hoped you'd find the humor in it. (Actually, I think the front bumper grill sorta fits the demeanor of the X5!) I know you're really bummed about what happened and hope you can somehow find your way to give the car another chance before abandoning it.

Very sorry to hear about your cat, my sister just went through it too, they become part of the family especially when they have Cattitude!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 10:09 PM   #83
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=Marty in Bgm;25368902]
Quote:

Well, I knew I was going out on a limb but hoped you'd find the humor in it. (Actually, I think the front bumper grill sorta fits the demeanor of the X5!) I know you're really bummed about what happened and hope you can somehow find your way to give the car another chance before abandoning it.

Very sorry to hear about your cat, my sister just went through it too, they become part of the family especially when they have Cattitude!
Trust me, I laughed and laughed.

It is just so weird. It has been such a chore taking car of them being so old. I’m constantly still thinking I need to figure out where they are, if they are warm, if they ate anything today. It is just a really strange, off-balance feeling. I didn’t expect that at all. But, I’ll get over it.

I really hope I can get my car back before Halloween. Now that I don’t have any more doddering ancient cats, the X5 is the scariest thing I own.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 10:18 PM   #84
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=Marty in Bgm;25368902]
Quote:

Now I’m the only one with cattitude.
I’m not going to ditch the car right away. I’ll keep it at least another year or two. Unless it pisses me off again. Then I really will be car shopping, and probably for some sort of luxury truck. Dainty, needy, easily scarred cars just don’t fit with my personality.

In my neck of the woods, a tricked out truck will turn a lot more heads than a BMW anyway. And the next skirmish with a pole - maybe I’ll come out on top instead of the collision shop
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 07:03 AM   #85
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Angry Five weeks today, still waiting for bumper cover

My car is still in the shop.
Five weeks today, and they can’t get a straight answer from BMW when the bumper cover will arrive. Everything else is done

I’m SO over this.
Has anyone traded a nearly new BMW for another brand? What was your experience?

I know I’m under water on the value but I’m back to thinking it might be worth the financial hit to get a car that is actually repairable should the need arise.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 07:23 AM   #86
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Quote:
I own the car, not a lease. I’m waiting to hear what the “regional rep” will offer. Seems to me they should either make my payment for a month, or give me a loaner to use. I realize either is highly unlikely but since this is a chronic problem, you would think they would have some sort of policy about it by now.

I’m in the US, and it sounds as if being in Canada makes these situations even worse. I wonder how long it takes to get repairs done in Germany? “Sorry, we have to wait for our next cargo container from Spartanburg”.

This makes me feel really sorry for the dealers - they are the ones that bear the brunt of this.
If you own the car, what would they be paying a month of???

Also, unless this is something that is disabled in the US, Euro Spec cars have breaking intervention for both rear and side impacts.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 07:49 AM   #87
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
If you own the car, what would they be paying a month of???

Also, unless this is something that is disabled in the US, Euro Spec cars have breaking intervention for both rear and side impacts.
I own the car and have a loan. Monthly payment is $1,200, so I’m coming up on $2,400 in payments with no car to show for it.

If I traded it now it would prob cost me about $10k. In another year, the value would be closer to the remaining loan. But I plan to talk to some dealers and see what they can do for me. Then I can decide on the timing of a trade.

I am in the US. I’ve only experienced braking intervention once, at driving speed going forward. Clearly it doesn’t work at slow speed in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 07:55 AM   #88
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
My car is still in the shop.
Five weeks today, and they can’t get a straight answer from BMW when the bumper cover will arrive. Everything else is done

I’m SO over this.
Has anyone traded a nearly new BMW for another brand? What was your experience?

I know I’m under water on the value but I’m back to thinking it might be worth the financial hit to get a car that is actually repairable should the need arise.

I was too lazy to go back and reach a bunch of the replies, but is your insurance covering it? I would assume the damage is much more than your deductible. Do you have a rental vehicle under your policy? I can see why the dealership might not do the loaner, as it isn't their problem (other than the parts delay). I went through the same thing with the windshield. I guess there was some fault with something to do with the heating. It took about 3-4 weeks, which seemed crazy. The only rational explanation I received was that they are cranking these vehicles out, so the replacement parts are few and far between.

I wouldn't take the bath on trading the car in. It's a great vehicle, which caught you on a bad day. You would be hard pressed to find something else, especially after taking the hit on the trade. Hoping it won't be too long for you!
Appreciate 0