matthew_hull
BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
2020 X5 x40i  [0.00]
Question 19" or 20" wheels ?

I'm considering getting the 19 inch wheels because ride comfort over pot-holed roads is more important to me than stylish wheel rims. But I really dislike the Style 734 wheels that BMW offers on the X5 at 19".

Would it be possible to order the vehicle with 20" wheels, Style 738, then toss out the original tires onto ebay, and replace the tires with non-low-profile tires (with taller sidewalls)? Or will that cause problems that my ignorance cannot foresee?

If its OK, then the same question also for 21" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 11:04 PM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
As a default approach, whatever changes you make from stock, you'll want to achieve about the same overall circumference as stock for both proper fit in the wheel well and speedometer accuracy. In that context, you generally cannot get a taller sidewall profile on the same size rim diameter — you need less rim if you want more rubber, so you need to go down to 19" to get taller sidewall.

In some cases, it may be possible to put a narrower tire on the same rim and that may allow taller sidewall. However, this is an advanced topic and it doesn't sound like you should be considering this right now without a competent advisor on speed dial :-).

If you are going into after market rims, that's a whole new game of bolt patterns, offsets, hub diameters and centricity, possibly spacers, hub adapters, lug bolt shapes and lengths, etc. A shop that you can trust is best approach unless you're willing to immerse yourself and do some trials.

Also note that M Sport brakes generally don't fit 19" wheels, 20" and up only.

To get your head into this, spend some time at the links below and play with options.

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/bmw/x5/2019/

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/
      10-17-2019, 01:28 AM   #3
matthew_hull
BMW owner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X5 x40i  [0.00]
Thanks. That’s very helpful.
It looks like I’ll go the After Market route with 19” rims.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 01:30 PM   #4
EV77
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

I would go for 20 inch wheels style 740M
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
UK back roads are particularly bad, and I feel the M-sport with the standard 20" works very well. I have 275/45/20 and 305/40/20 I think, P-zeroes, and had no problem with them at all -- even off road so far (light off road!).

20" still look reasonably 'badass' without sacrificing ride quality. I do have air suspensions tho...
      11-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #6
matthew_hull
BMW owner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X5 x40i  [0.00]
I did end up going with 20” because I liked the rims so much better than the 19”.
And I ordered the Air Suspension, too. It’ll be fine; I was just stressing.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #7
wasabi911
Rep
Drives: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew_hull View Post
I did end up going with 20” because I liked the rims so much better than the 19”.
And I ordered the Air Suspension, too. It’ll be fine; I was just stressing.
We have bad roads here in NY and I'm tired of dealing with popped tires and bent wheels. I ordered mine w 19" wheel and suspension - I love the ride. I'm getting old!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Also NYC based. I hit a bad pothole once when I had sport tires on my Infiniti G37 and developed a big air bubble in the sidewall of the tire... was told it was no longer safe to drive. I transferred onto my winter tires for that car for the last month of the lease 🤣

I’m also planning to stick with the standard 19” wheel and suspension... I agree that the 20’s do look better but I’d rather the more durable option this time around..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 08:59 AM   #9
nvsocr7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I'm Chicago based. Get the 20" and replace the run flats with Michelin cross climate suv tires from tire rack. They're amaZing. Far superior to the OEM and much more traction.
Appreciate 2
      01-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #10
Amsa7151
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvsocr7 View Post
I'm Chicago based. Get the 20" and replace the run flats with Michelin cross climate suv tires from tire rack. They're amaZing. Far superior to the OEM and much more traction.
Would you mind sharing the link for the specific ones? Also, I’d be interested in learning what you found to be superior about these over the stock run flats? Seems like I would do this when I have to replace the tires instead of now given why should I waste 4 perfectly good new tires that came with the MSport.

Appreciate your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 06:17 PM   #11
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi911 View Post
We have bad roads here in NY and I'm tired of dealing with popped tires and bent wheels. I ordered mine w 19" wheel and suspension - I love the ride. I'm getting old!
I also went with the 19 inches on my X5 50i last year because of general road conditions, better performance in wet and snow. I believe only the 19 inches could be had with all-season run-flats. They also last longer, offer a softer ride, and are much cheaper to replace. The 20 inches came in the staggered form so can't be rotated either.

Mostly, it was my experience with my previous Cayenne S with the 21 or 22-inch rims with Summer tires that was a nightmare with curb rashes and pretty much useless in snow and heavy rain. For a daily driver, I promised never again. For me, the biggest sacrifice with the 19 inches isn't the aesthetics but not being able to get the sport brakes with its smaller rim. But no regrets overall since the ride is so much better. I do have the air suspension, but the bigger side walls make a real difference.

I guess it boils down to how you use the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 10:44 PM   #12
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Personally, I could care less what other people think of the looks of my vehicle. You cannot see the color if you're watching where you're going, or the wheels from the driver's position. The parts I can see while in it are important. Yes, bigger wheels with lower profile tires have the potential of better handling, but really, how many people actually push their vehicles to their limits. The smaller wheels/tires are less expensive to replace, should you need to either during your ownership or at the end of your lease. Yes, I could afford bigger wheels and higher performance tires, but at least in the USA, where there are no unlimited speed roadways where higher than say an H-rated tire might be required (well, actually even lower), why pay for it?

If you really worry about what other people think, hey, fine by me. I'll spend my money on other things, like some fine wine, art, etc...I've owned an old Citroen and Volvo...neither particularly stylish vehicles, but they were functional for me and met my needs.
Appreciate 0