BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-19-2019, 12:40 AM   #1
pjiang
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

How will the collision warning beep triggered

I have been driving my new 2020 BMW x5 for three weeks and saw the red car image on HUD a few times, but I never heard the collision warning. From the manual, it says after the red car image there will be a collision warning sound. How close should the car to the front car will trigger the collision warning? In that a few times, I felt my car was pretty close to the front car.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 02:25 AM   #2
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjiang View Post
I have been driving my new 2020 BMW x5 for three weeks and saw the red car image on HUD a few times, but I never heard the collision warning. From the manual, it says after the red car image there will be a collision warning sound. How close should the car to the front car will trigger the collision warning? In that a few times, I felt my car was pretty close to the front car.
Quite close. It seems to me it sounds at the moment you would start to commence emergency braking yourself. I would personally like it to sound a second or so earlier.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #3
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Mine has gone off a few times when backing out of a driveway with cars approaching. Seemed to work when they were a decent distance away. When driving, my car has alerted a few times and once applied the brakes. But I think you need to be going above a certain speed.

See my thread on the rear collision I had with a pole. It happened so fast I don’t recall the details. I’m sure it alerted me, but didn’t apply brakes. Thread it titled “weeks to get repairs “
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #4
Cybergold
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

I have never heard it even in some situations that I had to push brake hard. Same wish that it can be triggered a few seconds earlier.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
videoman535i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M50i, 2008 335i

It saved my ass last week. While in an exit only lane on the freeway, I was distracted by incoming text or some such on the screen, heard the beep and saw the red car warning (the exiting traffic had backed up into the lane). I was able to stop in time and to be extra safe, steered to the shoulder to give those behind me some more room.

I can't say if there was any braking intervention or not. Don't think so but it happened pretty quick so may not have noticed.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 11:26 PM   #6
Ken6096
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95 2022

I have the beep with red car when too close and too fast. I guess the beeping will alarm at some speed and distance. The other times when the red car showing up is like it just warn you that too close but not that dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I believe there are 2 stages to the collision warning system. The 1st stage is a pre-warning where the symbol illuminates on the instrument cluster. The 2nd stage, the symbol flashes and there's also the acoustical warning.

On my 2013 f06, I can press & hold the collision warning button and it will allow me to set the 1st stage warning to illuminate for early, late, or no warning. If I can do this on a 2013...I'm sure your newer models should be able to do this as well. (Time to pull out your owners manual if you don't know how or to find out if it can be done).

EDIT: found a video that discuses the intelligent safety button...and at approx 1:35 minutes/seconds into the video (near the very end) it shows how to elect for early/medium/late warning of the collision feature:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-20-2019 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 10:57 AM   #8
pjiang
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

I read through the manual again, it says the red car symbol flashes an an acoustic signal sounds under accurate warning.

Probably my situations were not danger enough? I still wished the sound could be triggered earlier. My previous car was Mercedes GLC, the symbol and sound were triggered at the same time. I will change the warning to early to see if that helps
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #9
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjiang View Post
I had this happen to me maybe a month ago with no traffic in front of me. No braking, no warning tone of any sort - just a big red car in my display. It came and went in perhaps a half second...
      10-21-2019, 08:09 AM   #10
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
I had this happen to me maybe a month ago with no traffic in front of me. No braking, no warning tone of any sort - just a big red car in my display. It came and went in perhaps a half second...
Happens with my Mercedes all the time. It almost always because of the solid white line lane markings. Happens almost predictably on a gentle curve by my house. Confuses the camera and thinks it's a car.
Appreciate 1
gpitts247.00
      10-21-2019, 11:43 AM   #11
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

With the .55 July release, my X5's use of the red car imagewas night and day. I went from never seeing it, to seeing it often.

Last week my X5 simultaneously showed the red car image, made the alert sound and automatically slammed on the brakes (my foot was on the gas) as I crossed through an intersection with no traffic in front of me. Only thing I can attribute it to was that a pedestrian/runner came to a stop at the corner and maybe the vehicle thought we were on a collision course?

I was glad the car behind me was far enough back or I would have been rear ended.
Appreciate 0