BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-20-2019, 03:33 PM   #1
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

Side Mirrors would not un-fold

Happened to me yesterday, leaving the parking lot I suddenly noticed I have no side mirrors. I stopped, locked/unlocked the car, disabled auto-folding in the menu - still no change. I had to leave and drive elsewhere so I was driving for the next ~30 min with the mirrors folded and everyone staring, when they finally unfolded on the highway on its own. Anyone had this happened to them?
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #2
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Ayiyiyi that is the first time I’ve heard this one. Has it happened again?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Ayiyiyi that is the first time I’ve heard this one. Has it happened again?
No, just once after 2.5 months of ownership. I start to doubt that I want it outside of warranty, will likely trade after 3, or with a bit of stretch 4 years.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
Happened to me yesterday, leaving the parking lot I suddenly noticed I have no side mirrors. I stopped, locked/unlocked the car, disabled auto-folding in the menu - still no change. I had to leave and drive elsewhere so I was driving for the next ~30 min with the mirrors folded and everyone staring, when they finally unfolded on the highway on its own. Anyone had this happened to them?
This happened to me once. The auto detail guys hand folded the mirrors instead of using the auto button and it was stuck folded for a bit then after driving off it unfolded automatically. Maybe someone did that to yours.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 11:21 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Did you try the manual mirror fold/unfold button on the driver's door? Asking from a similar situation mentioned by mhodx5...if the mirror is accidentally bumped out of position...you can usually get it back into position by using the manual fold/unfold button on the driver's door window switch.

You can test it out when you get a chance and see how if the mirrors get knocked out of place...you can simply press the fold/unfold button..and they should return to their correct position.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-21-2019 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 01:29 PM   #6
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I manually manipulate my mirrors in all crazy ways when I wash my cars. If they're not locked in some actual position when I am done they can act a little wonky when they revert back to their electronic ways. Somebody probably knocked yours as others have stated.
      10-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
If you fold the mirror manually, it will not auto-unfold.
You have to manually unfold it, and then it would work according to the auto settings.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00
      01-04-2022, 12:48 AM   #8
danen1973
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

My 2020 X5's mirrors also won't unfold most of the time. I also noticed that I can't roll the windows down using the driver's door controls. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the window switch assembly. That didn't fix the problem. Second attempt was to "reset" something. That didn't fix it. It works for a while and then stops again. I did notice that the problem starts up shortly after I wash the car or drive in the rain. Not sure what to do. Dealer has no clue.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 06:44 AM   #9
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danen1973 View Post
My 2020 X5's mirrors also won't unfold most of the time. I also noticed that I can't roll the windows down using the driver's door controls. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the window switch assembly. That didn't fix the problem. Second attempt was to "reset" something. That didn't fix it. It works for a while and then stops again. I did notice that the problem starts up shortly after I wash the car or drive in the rain. Not sure what to do. Dealer has no clue.
did they entertain the idea of changing out the assembly inside the side mirrors? truth be told, it's not a very watertight design
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2022, 02:53 PM   #10
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If manually folded, the mirrors SHOULD extend, but there's a speed you have to attain before that occurs. By default, I think it's about 25mph, but it is programmable if you code the thing. They do NOT unfold just because you put it in gear, though. If you have them fold upon locking, they unfold when you unlock. I don't want them to do that going in/out of my garage, so I manually do it. If I forget to unfold them, they open, eventually once I get up enough speed once I get out of the driveway.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 02:59 PM   #11
Outack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i, X5 45e

Quote:
I had this happen with my 3-series. They started by replacing the drivers door switch module, as the window controls also wouldn't work, and with the reset, that worked for about 2 days.

Ended up being a module in the rear bumper that controlled the mirrors and the doors. After that replacement, no issues in the 2 years since.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2022, 03:00 PM   #12
Outack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i, X5 45e

Quote:
This was exactly how it happened to my 3-series. It would act up after a full detail wash, or a heavy rain. It was a module in the rear bumper -- worth looking into that.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2022, 01:46 PM   #13
danen1973
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outack View Post
This was exactly how it happened to my 3-series. It would act up after a full detail wash, or a heavy rain. It was a module in the rear bumper -- worth looking into that.
Did the dealership replace the module or did you do something to resolve it. Where in the bumper is the module?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:52 PM   #14
danen1973
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
did they entertain the idea of changing out the assembly inside the side mirrors? truth be told, it's not a very watertight design
No they didn't. The they seemed to think it was the window switch module. That made sense because the windows, mirrors nor tailgate worked. The module was replaced but I still continue to have issues. It works sometimes but it usually stops working shortly after I wash the car or drive in the rain. Others here are saying it could be some module located in the rear bumper.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 07:23 PM   #15
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outack View Post
So the very same thing happened to my M340 last year (it was stored in a dry heated garage) but then magically the entire thing fixed it self.

All have been fine until today. Mirrors won't fold out either with button or when driving & etc.

So frustrating!

Do you mind posting a picture of the paper work for the module so that I can reference the part number when talking to my SA.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 11:14 AM   #16
danen1973
United_States
Rep

Are you able to roll the windows down?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
So the very same thing happened to my M340 last year (it was stored in a dry heated garage) but then magically the entire thing fixed it self.

All have been fine until today. Mirrors won't fold out either with button or when driving & etc.

So frustrating!

Do you mind posting a picture of the paper work for the module so that I can reference the part number when talking to my SA.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 11:51 AM   #17
TTG
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Are you able to roll the windows down?
Edit: I was wrong with my earlier statement. Following list of items do not work after taking the car for a long drive.

None of these items work: Power Windows, Power Trunk open/close from driver's door, power folding mirrors, power mirror adjustment and none of the lights on drivers side window control switch. At night when unlocking the car, none of the exterior light come on as well and I am unable to control the power trunk via the sensor under the bumper.......I hope that very same module is responsible for it all.

I am able to open/close all the windows using the key fob but not the mirrors.

I was actually able to get the mirrors to unfold by using the BWW App.

When you ask for it to activate Remote Camera (3D View), it asks whether you want the mirrors unfolded.....when I confirm, it unfolded the mirrors.

And like stated above many times, all of this started happening right after a good detail.

Last edited by TTG; 01-21-2022 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 10:09 PM   #18
danen1973
United_States
Rep

Same here... none of the things you listed work. I haven't tried the trunck sensor but I will next time. I don't have the 3D View option so I can't try that.
I'm scheduled to take the car to the dealership this monday but at the moment all of that works. I'm thinking I'm going to wash the car to see if that will cause those things to stop working. In the past a wash or drive in the rain seemed to be a trigger. With my luck it won't this time and the dealership will just tell me they can't reproduce the problem.

Quote:
Edit: I was wrong with my earlier statement. Following list of items do not work after taking the car for a long drive.

None of these items work: Power Windows, Power Trunk open/close from driver's door, power folding mirrors, power mirror adjustment and none of the lights on drivers side window control switch. At night when unlocking the car, none of the exterior light come on as well and I am unable to control the power trunk via the sensor under the bumper.......I hope that very same module is responsible for it all.

I am able to open/close all the windows using the key fob but not the mirrors.

I was actually able to get the mirrors to unfold by using the BWW App.

When you ask for it to activate Remote Camera (3D View), it asks whether you want the mirrors unfolded.....when I confirm, it unfolded the mirrors.

And like stated above many times, all of this started happening right after a good detail.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 12:06 PM   #19
TTG
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Same here... none of the things you listed work. I haven't tried the trunck sensor but I will next time. I don't have the 3D View option so I can't try that.
I'm scheduled to take the car to the dealership this monday but at the moment all of that works. I'm thinking I'm going to wash the car to see if that will cause those things to stop working. In the past a wash or drive in the rain seemed to be a trigger. With my luck it won't this time and the dealership will just tell me they can't reproduce the problem.
This happened to me the 1st time when the problem happened and things were working just fine when I took it in of course.

My Service Advisor told me to make small videos when the problem re-appears which is exactly what I did this time.

I am scheduled to go in in mid Feb and I will report back with their findings.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 09:32 AM   #20
danen1973
United_States
Rep

I dropped the car off this morning. I washed it yesterday but this morning everything worked . The SA told me they will look at it. I have a feeling they will just tell me they could't reproduce the problem.

Quote:
This happened to me the 1st time when the problem happened and things were working just fine when I took it in of course.

My Service Advisor told me to make small videos when the problem re-appears which is exactly what I did this time.

I am scheduled to go in in mid Feb and I will report back with their findings.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 01:06 PM   #21
TK421BMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328, X5, Z4

AustinV, since you're in Canada, and here in MN it's been sub 0 temps. Any chance they were just frozen? I've had them stick when water has frozen in them.
2020 f30 440 xDrive Convertible
2004 e85 Z4 3.0
Appreciate 1
bandersen586.00
      02-15-2022, 01:44 PM   #22
TTG
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My car is at the dealer now and it actually stated acting up on my way to there and they have witnessed it. I will report back with their findings.
Appreciate 1