BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-20-2019, 08:08 PM   #1
echostate
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

G05 less combined legroom than F15?

I own a F15 2015 X5 and recently went to a dealer for service. While waiting there I paid some close attention to the two G05s (one X40i and one X50i) in the showroom, especially about the combined legroom, since I'm tall and then my kid sitting in the second row on his car seat likes to kick my back ... lol

I'm 6'3-6'4 and in my F15 X5 I can sit reasonably comfortably in the front row and then sit behind myself in the second row again reasonably comfortably with about one inch of extra legroom left. However in the G05 X5, I can only sit comfortably in the first and second rows but with *no* extra legroom left (i.e., my knee will slightly touch the back of the front seat while seating in the second row).

In both cases I made sure I have similar front seat recline angles. I tried on both G05s in the showroom, and got basically the same result: the G05 fits "two" me exactly OK, while the F15 has one extra inch of legroom.

I'm fairly disappointed. On paper G05 should have slightly more combined legroom? The only thing I can think of is that the G05 seem to have "thicker" back for the front seats, which might explain why I no longer have the extra inch of legroom while seating in the second row.

Thoughts? Any one here own both G05 and F15 and have compared their combined legroom?

Last edited by echostate; 10-20-2019 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 08:30 PM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I did the same test as my kids 12 & 10yr go on long cross country trips.
I have no issues at 6’ 3” and when I tried the rear seat behind my drivers seat, I fit without any issues and could easily sit there. My kids never touch or kick the back of my seat.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 10:39 AM   #3
15x5
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 45e G05 Z4 35ise89 116i F20

Garage List
Comfort seats do have a ‘thicker’ back than sport seats or normal seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 10:50 AM   #4
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
I don’t like the back seats because they don’t move or recline. I’m retired so that wasn’t an issue for me. The back seat is comfortable but not nearly as nice as my 2011 highlander.

If you have growing kids that would ride in the car frequently, I’d avoid the X5. It would be fine for day-to-day, but kind of awful for a long road trip. Apparently if you get the third row seat, the second row has extra features, but then you have very little cargo space.

When I bought my X5 (ordered May, received in June) one of my top priorities was NO third row seat. I wanted the cargo space. The only other largish SUV with that feature was the Lincoln Nautilus. Most larger SUVs come with a third row seat that most people will rarely, if ever, use. Kind of frustrating.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2019, 11:05 AM   #5
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

I'm 6-0" and had plenty of room back there, but rarely sit back there. Wife is 5-2" and usually back there with the baby when i drive it and she has more than enough room. To me its pretty generous sized, but never sat in a F15 so dont know the difference/comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
I don’t like the back seats because they don’t move or recline
This is the one thing we were a bit disappointed at. We cancelled our 3rd row which would have gave us this option, but at the time there was about a 2 months delayed. the trade off was we got the spare tire option with air suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #6
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

Quote:
I don’t like the back seats because they don’t move or recline. I’m retired so that wasn’t an issue for me. The back seat is comfortable but not nearly as nice as my 2011 highlander.

If you have growing kids that would ride in the car frequently, I’d avoid the X5. It would be fine for day-to-day, but kind of awful for a long road trip. Apparently if you get the third row seat, the second row has extra features, but then you have very little cargo space.

When I bought my X5 (ordered May, received in June) one of my top priorities was NO third row seat. I wanted the cargo space. The only other largish SUV with that feature was the Lincoln Nautilus. Most larger SUVs come with a third row seat that most people will rarely, if ever, use. Kind of frustrating.
would be interesting to know how much legroom is in the second row in the 5 seat version vs the 7 seat version with the seats all the way back

you could also get the third row and leave it folded (it's not fixed) and have the better second row and same luggage space
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 09:55 AM   #7
Bilajio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
Quote:

would be interesting to know how much legroom is in the second row in the 5 seat version vs the 7 seat version with the seats all the way back

you could also get the third row and leave it folded (it's not fixed) and have the better second row and same luggage space
Quote:
Quote:
I don't like the back seats because they don't move or recline. I'm retired so that wasn't an issue for me. The back seat is comfortable but not nearly as nice as my 2011 highlander.

If you have growing kids that would ride in the car frequently, I'd avoid the X5. It would be fine for day-to-day, but kind of awful for a long road trip. Apparently if you get the third row seat, the second row has extra features, but then you have very little cargo space.

This is exactly what I do

Benefit from electric 2nd row and potential for additional 2 seats which in reality will probably never get used
      10-23-2019, 10:13 AM   #8
omaralt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilajio View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I don't like the back seats because they don't move or recline. I'm retired so that wasn't an issue for me. The back seat is comfortable but not nearly as nice as my 2011 highlander.

If you have growing kids that would ride in the car frequently, I'd avoid the X5. It would be fine for day-to-day, but kind of awful for a long road trip. Apparently if you get the third row seat, the second row has extra features, but then you have very little cargo space.

Quote:
Quote:

This is exactly what I do

Benefit from electric 2nd row and potential for additional 2 seats which in reality will probably never get used
I've actually used them a few times. I have one seat in the third row always up. Gives me the option while maintaining trunk space
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 10:49 AM   #9
msi200
Enlisted Member
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: M2

2nd row legroom in G05 is less than F15, and in F15 is less than in E70 (when all three have comfort seats).
In G05 the rear seat is too upright and quite uncomfortable. As mentioned above, the solution is to get it with 3rd row and then the second row slides and recline.
The boot is the same but there is no spare with the 3rd row.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #10
echostate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15x5 View Post
Comfort seats do have a ‘thicker’ back than sport seats or normal seats.
Good to know. Need to be careful about choosing the seat ... hopefully the dealer will have all three seats in stock to compare.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #11
echostate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msi200 View Post
2nd row legroom in G05 is less than F15, and in F15 is less than in E70 (when all three have comfort seats).
In G05 the rear seat is too upright and quite uncomfortable. As mentioned above, the solution is to get it with 3rd row and then the second row slides and recline.
The boot is the same but there is no spare with the 3rd row.
"2nd row legroom in G05 is less than F15" -- any source of this information? I was hoping it's just the type of seats I sampled, not the actual 2nd row legroom being less generous than F15

If this is true, I need to seriously consider either Merc GLE or go straight to X7
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #12
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostate View Post
Good to know. Need to be careful about choosing the seat ... hopefully the dealer will have all three seats in stock to compare.
There are only two different types of seats in the G05, sport seats are standard and multi-contour is an option.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 10:32 PM   #13
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

This was something that really puzzled me about the G05 from the release. With the X7 being available, I thought BMW would dump the third row option and increase the cabin size a bit for the two rows.

The G05 is a bit smaller than the F15 but not much. Published measurements rarely mean anything to me until I can see real people use the seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 10:52 PM   #14
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

All new car have less and less space inside for passengers.
Never figured out why is that, maybe someone can enlighten us all.
      10-24-2019, 06:44 AM   #15
kebiN
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

It does not make sense, they are bigger, longer every generation. The space must be at least the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 08:25 AM   #16
omaralt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHunk View Post
All new car have less and less space inside for passengers.
Never figured out why is that, maybe someone can enlighten us all.
i've noticed it's mostly a BMW thing. my friends camry has a huge rear seat while my F10 550i had a tiny rear seat.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 09:59 AM   #17
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I actually like that the rear seats are not adjustable. Kids are grown and gone, and they"re almost never used. In my Q7 with a fully adjustable rear, if you lowered the seats you always had to fiddle adjusting them back to where they were to get the seat backs even. In the X5, lower, raise - fini. And there is plenty of room for normal adults
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #18
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

Let me turn it round. I'm 6'5" with two tall daughters (5'11"). As a result, a key criteria was whether we would all fit, and I tried pretty much every car at this price point in the UK when I chose the X5, and the G30 before that. In both cases we felt the beemers were the most comfortable and had the most leg room.
Others may disagree of course!
Appreciate 1
gpitts247.00
      10-24-2019, 08:34 PM   #19
echostate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Whizz UK View Post
Let me turn it round. I'm 6'5" with two tall daughters (5'11"). As a result, a key criteria was whether we would all fit, and I tried pretty much every car at this price point in the UK when I chose the X5, and the G30 before that. In both cases we felt the beemers were the most comfortable and had the most leg room.
Others may disagree of course!
I think the GLE has significantly more second-row legroom than X5. It's very obvious in some comparative review video on Youtube (e.g., the one from carwow), and also confirmed by the numbers. Nonetheless, G05 X5 have very decent space in its class too (me being 6'3"~6'4" can seat comforably behind myself), and it definitely has more room than the 5 series sedan (I couldn't seat behind myself in 5 series).

I just wish G05 has at least same or more room than F15. After all it's quite a bit bigger than F15 on the outside, and I'm puzzled about where those exterior dimension increases go? It just doesn't feel right when you upgrade from F15 to G05, which is a bigger car, and the second-row passengers are actually getting less legroom. I think G05 also has smaller trunk space than F15 (?).

Last edited by echostate; 10-24-2019 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 02:23 AM   #20
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostate View Post
I think the GLE has significantly more second-row legroom than X5. It's very obvious in some comparative review video on Youtube (e.g., the one from carwow), and also confirmed by the numbers. Nonetheless, G05 X5 have very decent space in its class too (me being 6'3"~6'4" can seat comforably behind myself), and it definitely has more room than the 5 series sedan (I couldn't seat behind myself in 5 series).
Lol - I watched the carwow video as well, and he looked to have the same room to me. I guess ultimately, that's why we have to do so many test drives (oh, what a hardship!)
The issue for us with the GLE was the headroom - only worked if you reclined the seat in the back. The leg room felt similar. And lexus's (Lexi?!) assume everyone is under 4' 8"ft - we couldn't fit in any of their cars.
Appreciate 0