BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #1
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

"Production week not yet confirmed by BMW"

I've never special ordered a car before.... so I don't really know how all this works.

I do know, that the deal was finalized and paid for 2.5 weeks ago, and I was told on numerous occasions that I would take posession of my car in January. Now.... my dealer takes a full week to respond to an email, and I was just told today "Still waiting on BMW to confirm the production week".

Should I be upset at BMW? At my dealer?

Should I be upset at all?

What should I expect at this point?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #2
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I would be upset or at least disappointed that the dealer took a week to respond. That just doesn't seem right.

As far as the actual status goes, I would be at least a little anxious. The dealer could do a lot more than just say "not yet". They could tell you why... They are waiting for a production allocation to put your order into, or your car has been allocated to production but the part for your "fill in the blank" option in stock yet and BMW won't commit to a build week until it is, or???.

On the other hand, as long as it is built by not too late in December the dealer should be able to get it to you by the end of January.

In the US the dealers seem to have direct access to the status of the production line. Maybe in Germany (I think you said you were picking it up there) they don't.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Dan.... admittedly, I noticed that his responses to my emails were lightning-fast...... all the way up until my bank handed him a check for $90k.

Then.... all of a sudden.... his response time became alarmingly slow. But.... I get it. He's moving on to his next sale.

My biggest concern quite frankly.... is "am I gonna be driving this thing in January or not?" Ultimately, that's what matters to me.

He did respond.... and he's told me that as soon as he gets an update, I will. I'm not terribly pleased with that answer.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #4
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Are you sure he didn't say "A week after I get an update if I'm not Octoberfest or some other holiday I'll probably get back to you"?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #5
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Your bank cut him a check for $90k already? Usually payment is made at time of delivery. Before then it's only a deposit.

Are you able to get your money back? If so, I would put the pressure on him by threatening to take your money back.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 11:19 PM   #6
AlexTheGiant21
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Your bank cut him a check for $90k already? Usually payment is made at time of delivery. Before then it's only a deposit.

Are you able to get your money back? If so, I would put the pressure on him by threatening to take your money back.
When ordering through Military/Diplomatic sales, BMW will not ship the vehicle until it has recieved full payment. Why, I am not sure. They also (at least for those of us in Korea) only ship at the end of the month.

The only thing I hate about this whole process is that we cannot track our vehicle like those of you in the States. I tried calling BMWUSA and they straight told me they couldn't help me because it was a "special sale." I did call a few times but they couldn't give me a production number, couldn't track the production number, couldn't track the VIN once I received that either.

I placed my order on Aug 7th, received my production number about Aug 26, but was told my vehicle would not begin to be built until the last week of September first week of October. Come to find out it was because of the individual option, but still, 2 months? Received my VIN on Sept 20.

I will say my sales lady (SA? CA? whateverA?) has been pretty communicative with me. I kind of shrugged my shoulders and said it is what it is and I'll get it when I get it. Its kind of a good thing I suppose, I'd drive myself crazy checking that damn tracker on a daily basis haha.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 03:11 AM   #7
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

I have an "order number" (whatever that is)..... but do not have a production week.

Unfortunately, I guess I'm kinda at the mercy of BMW at this point.

What "tracker" are you referring to???
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 05:56 AM   #8
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheGiant21 View Post
When ordering through Military/Diplomatic sales, BMW will not ship the vehicle until it has recieved full payment. Why, I am not sure. They also (at least for those of us in Korea) only ship at the end of the month.

The only thing I hate about this whole process is that we cannot track our vehicle like those of you in the States. I tried calling BMWUSA and they straight told me they couldn't help me because it was a "special sale." I did call a few times but they couldn't give me a production number, couldn't track the production number, couldn't track the VIN once I received that either.

I placed my order on Aug 7th, received my production number about Aug 26, but was told my vehicle would not begin to be built until the last week of September first week of October. Come to find out it was because of the individual option, but still, 2 months? Received my VIN on Sept 20.

I will say my sales lady (SA? CA? whateverA?) has been pretty communicative with me. I kind of shrugged my shoulders and said it is what it is and I'll get it when I get it. Its kind of a good thing I suppose, I'd drive myself crazy checking that damn tracker on a daily basis haha.
I guess that's one way of looking at it. I was one of those people that drove themselves crazy checking the tracker. I also found the tracker was not very accurate at all for the X5, however for my 3 series it seemed to be very accurate. I also had to wait nearly 2 months before the actual production began (again due to individual options).

I will say, especially in these situations, good communication from the CA is crucial.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 06:03 AM   #9
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
I have an "order number" (whatever that is)..... but do not have a production week.

Unfortunately, I guess I'm kinda at the mercy of BMW at this point.

What "tracker" are you referring to???
BMW USA provides an online tracker in which you can enter your production # and it provides a step by step update of the car (with varying degrees of accuracy).

I don't know if this is available outside of North America, but worth a try I suppose. If you go to BMW USA's website, in the top right corner of the page you should see, "My BMW". You can then register, and add a car to your "garage" with the production # given to you.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #10
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
I was one of those people that drove themselves crazy checking the tracker. I also found the tracker was not very accurate at all for the X5, however for my 3 series it seemed to be very accurate. I also had to wait nearly 2 months before the actual production began (again due to individual options).
Honestly, I'm not even sure what would constitute an "Individual" option. I just used the online builder, picked what I wanted, and basically just procured financing and paid for it. The term "Individual option" was never used.

2020 X5 M50i
Alpine White
21" wheels
Anthracite poplar
Coffee interior (standard option... vernasca I think)
Exec package
Luxury seating (just cause I wanted the massaging seats)
Spare tire
2 axle air suspension
Tow hitch
Black shadowline
Accoustic glass
Bowers & Wilkins

I think thats it... i skipped a couple things like glass controls, heated armrests & rear seats (hoping to avoid wrinkles - I have a theory about that), leather dash, 22" wheels.

Nevertheless, nothing was "special" or outside of their available options..... so I'm not sure if any of this constitutes an "Individual" option (whtever that is)... or if any of it will add production delays.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:35 AM   #11
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Honestly, I'm not even sure what would constitute an "Individual" option. I just used the online builder, picked what I wanted, and basically just procured financing and paid for it. The term "Individual option" was never used.

2020 X5 M50i
Alpine White
21" wheels
Anthracite poplar
Coffee interior (standard option... vernasca I think)
Exec package
Luxury seating (just cause I wanted the massaging seats)
Spare tire
2 axle air suspension
Tow hitch
Black shadowline
Accoustic glass
Bowers & Wilkins

I think thats it... i skipped a couple things like glass controls, heated armrests & rear seats (hoping to avoid wrinkles - I have a theory about that), leather dash, 22" wheels.

Nevertheless, nothing was "special" or outside of their available options..... so I'm not sure if any of this constitutes an "Individual" option (whtever that is)... or if any of it will add production delays.
Individual options are some of the colors (Tanzanite Blue/Ametrin Metallic), merino leather options, fine ash grain/piano black interior trims etc. Not all of them are listed as individual so it can be confusing. To my knowledge it doesn't look like you have any individual options, so there shouldn't be any related delays.

I'm curious about your theory on the seat wrinkles. I have heated front/rear seats, and my rear seats do have some slight wrinkling (albeit not as bad as some of the early 2019 models).
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 11:03 AM   #12
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

I have no way of proving this...... but..... I did read the entire "wrinkle" thread, and while I don't think the wrinkles are "awful" looking, I absolutely do NOT think that they were "intentional". Then, when the interior 3d viewer became "mysteriously" unavailable.... that was a dead giveaway to me, that BMW is trying to hide production mistakes. To me, there is no doubt in my mind.

My theory..... is that to me, it appears that the seats were "stretched" in a way, during production, that caused them to wrinkle when returned to their original state. The only thing I can think of, is that for "whatever" reason.... adding heated rear seats requires the stretching of the seats, after they had been produced. Or, perhaps the seats were installed first, and then had to be manipulated in such a way to connect wiring? I've restored enough cars to know that seats always look a little different after they have been removed and re-installed. I believe, that they look great right after production (which is likely how they passed the initial QC), and "something" happens to them later on that's related to the rear heating elements.

Heated rear seats are a dirt cheap option (by comparison), so almost everyone gets them. My theory is that that's why we see so many wrinkled seats, but occasionally an un-wrinkled one seems to unexplainably sneak through.

It's just a theory. Quite frankly, they weren't that important to me, and my kids will just continuously keep f-ing around with them anyway. I have no doubt that they will constantly mess with the side shades, and I'll have to make them "off limits". Anyway..... to me, I thought I'd just leave them off and see what happens.

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 10-22-2019 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #13
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
It'll be interesting to see if your theory holds true when you take delivery. I also ordered heated rear seats in my 3 series, which I'll be picking up this saturday, so I'm wondering if that has wrinkles in the rear seats as well (although that's a totally different seat design so it might not)

I'm also in agreement in that I don't think those wrinkles were intentional. Didn't quite read through the entire thread but got the gist of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #14
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

I will not refuse delivery over a few wrinkles. I really don't think it looks bad at all. But.... if I'm correct and it can be avoided? Good. Plus.... my kids would likely break them anyway if I had them... lol. No big loss for me. Possible gain for the community though if I'm right
Appreciate 1
wtwo317864.00
      10-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #15
Tim2189
Russian in a Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
I will not refuse delivery over a few wrinkles. I really don't think it looks bad at all. But.... if I'm correct and it can be avoided? Good. Plus.... my kids would likely break them anyway if I had them... lol. No big loss for me. Possible gain for the community though if I'm right
I was worried about the wrinkled seats until I installed the car seat for the kiddo and I wont be seeing them for a while especially when the 2nd car seat gets installed in a few months haha
2018 X5 40e - retired
2020 X5 M50i - Current
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 08:25 PM   #16
AlexTheGiant21
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Individual options are some of the colors (Tanzanite Blue/Ametrin Metallic), merino leather options, fine ash grain/piano black interior trims etc. Not all of them are listed as individual so it can be confusing. To my knowledge it doesn't look like you have any individual options, so there shouldn't be any related delays.

I'm curious about your theory on the seat wrinkles. I have heated front/rear seats, and my rear seats do have some slight wrinkling (albeit not as bad as some of the early 2019 models).
Turns out the shadowline trim is also considered an individual option.

What I find curious and annoying is that we have ordered US spec vehicles....yet, they can't track our vehcile?
Appreciate 1
wtwo317864.00
      10-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #17
Year1of1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50

I placed my order 4 weeks ago. Still sitting in "scheduled for Production" - Seems my CA is very confused as to what's taking so long. He claimed past orders were very quick, but said he heard there's currently a delay in X5 production. Said I'd see it switch into Production in a few days - still nothing. Not really sure if he's just trying to blow me off and the build was never going to be quick.
2015 X1 - retired
2020 X5 M50i - On Order
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:50 PM   #18
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year1of1 View Post
I placed my order 4 weeks ago. Still sitting in "scheduled for Production" - Seems my CA is very confused as to what's taking so long. He claimed past orders were very quick, but said he heard there's currently a delay in X5 production. Said I'd see it switch into Production in a few days - still nothing. Not really sure if he's just trying to blow me off and the build was never going to be quick.
Call the Genius line. They should be able to give you a production week. That will narrow it down for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 02:52 AM   #19
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Call the Genius line. They should be able to give you a production week. That will narrow it down for you.
Contact info??
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 05:59 AM   #20
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheGiant21 View Post
Turns out the shadowline trim is also considered an individual option.

What I find curious and annoying is that we have ordered US spec vehicles....yet, they can't track our vehcile?
I think that is because even though you bought a USA spec vehicle you didn't buy one that was distributed by BMW NA, the company that distributes the cars in the USA. It's BMW NA, not BMW AG, that provides the tracking for the cars it distributes to dealers in the USA. BMW AG is the company that builds the BMW cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 09:16 AM   #21
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year1of1 View Post
In the same production limbo, but understood that this time around it's going to take longer than the usual 4-6 weeks custom build time due to interior ivory white/navy blue extended and a couple of other options.

Not worried as it'll get built. Actually hoping for early Nov build and hopefully better Nov residual value and same MF rates, incentives

Ordered - 09/21
Production number assigned - 09/24
Scheduled for production - 10/03 no week assigned
Scheduled for production - Week 46 projected complete

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #22
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Contact info??
Not sure how this will work for you b/c I think the Genius can only give updates on US orders.

1-844-4GENIUS (443-6487)
bmwgenius@bmwusa.com
Appreciate 0