BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
six
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

How to persuade BMW to allow remote start in the UK

We’ve not been allowed access to remote start in the UK. It’s not a legislative issue as on private land you can do what you like and we know Volvo and Jaguar Land Rover offer it on their vehicles. I think also Mercedes too now...

Furthermore they’ve removed the aux heating pack from the UK market on the G05 too which is super annoying given they kept it on the X3.

What are the chances of petitioning BMW to introduce remote start? Anybody got any thoughts about who and how to make contact for something like this?

I’ve tried making representations through my dealer but it was a total waste of time
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #2
bluetriangle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I hope you get somewhere but I'm not sure the chances of getting BMW to change their minds are high. It should be trivial for them but the features and options in each country do seem to be random.

I believe that the Auxiliary Heater (at least in my X3) is made by Webasto and they make units for petrol as well as diesel engines.

You could see if it's possible to install one of those though it wouldn't be integrated into ConnectedDrive of course. Maybe you could get it installed in a way that doesn't halve the wading depth, which is what happens with the factory fitted units, apparently due to where they site the exhaust pipe.
Appreciate 1
six337.50
      10-22-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
six
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetriangle View Post
I hope you get somewhere but I'm not sure the chances of getting BMW to change their minds are high. It should be trivial for them but the features and options in each country do seem to be random.

I believe that the Auxiliary Heater (at least in my X3) is made by Webasto and they make units for petrol as well as diesel engines.

You could see if it's possible to install one of those though it wouldn't be integrated into ConnectedDrive of course. Maybe you could get it installed in a way that doesn't halve the wading depth, which is what happens with the factory fitted units, apparently due to where they site the exhaust pipe.
Yeh I had it on my last X5 and noticed the wading depth was reduced, bit silly for a 4x4 It’s because they situate the unit low down behind the passenger side wheel arch where it will get nice and wet I’d settle for a way to turn on the heated seats remotely at the moment!

But before the winter sets in I’ll have to investigate starting the car and locking with the engine running. Was east to do before all this new comfort access stuff but I suspects it’s going to be more difficult if not impossible now. I read somewhere if you lock the car with the remote with the engine running the car honks the horn, not ideal at 5am! I think there may be a way to code that off though...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 07:56 PM   #4
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

I have a similar question to enable lane change assist in Australia. How can I request BMW to enable that.
Appreciate 1
TSMC55125.00
      10-22-2019, 11:15 PM   #5
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJedi View Post
I have a similar question to enable lane change assist in Australia. How can I request BMW to enable that.
+1 and also remote start.

I hope we get Alexa too - I had a strange App show up briefly when I did an update of the apps which looked like it mught be Alexa related but it disappeared after about 2 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 02:44 AM   #6
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 40i Msport, X6 M50D

Write a letter to the UK CEO? Not sure what else one can do.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 05:33 AM   #7
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

I wouldn't bother wasting your internet allowance to send an email. Its not legislative, its insurance related.

A running car left alone, to pre heat in the winter while you enjoy a cuppa is just a broken window away from a clean getaway. It's not gonna happen, simple
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #8
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
A running car left alone, to pre heat in the winter while you enjoy a cuppa is just a broken window away from a clean getaway.
I am sure there are many ways to steal this car, but that description is not one of them. The car won't drive off without the FOB or NFC card in the car, even if running due to remote start/climatize/ventilate active. And the alarm is still active, so while not that much of a deterrent, the window break method will not be a "clean getaway".
      10-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #9
six
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't bother wasting your internet allowance to send an email. Its not legislative, its insurance related.

A running car left alone, to pre heat in the winter while you enjoy a cuppa is just a broken window away from a clean getaway. It's not gonna happen, simple
I hear you but other manufacturers seem to have reconciled it easy enough? JLR have offered it for years so they must be comfortable they aren’t exposed
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 09:55 AM   #10
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Decent little article here to delve into even further:

https://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/896/c...h-remote-start

Essentially, insurers would honour a claim if you locked the car and still had keys with you. The problem with that is that almost everyone has a spare key.

The biggest issue seems to be an environmental one. It seems that all BMW electric/hybrid models have this feature, i.e pre conditioning so the X5 45e will also have it.

In Germany you can't even defrost in the winter from what i remember, get in and drive essentially.
Appreciate 1
six337.50
      10-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #11
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Maybe when the UK leaves the EU BMW will approve Remote Start.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 12:18 PM   #12
six
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Decent little article here to delve into even further:

https://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/896/c...h-remote-start

Essentially, insurers would honour a claim if you locked the car and still had keys with you. The problem with that is that almost everyone has a spare key.

The biggest issue seems to be an environmental one. It seems that all BMW electric/hybrid models have this feature, i.e pre conditioning so the X5 45e will also have it.

In Germany you can't even defrost in the winter from what i remember, get in and drive essentially.
Thanks for the link, interesting reading. I didn’t know Ford were getting onboard too.

The environmental impact is a challenge for sure but having a well defrosted car has good safety benefits. When I’ve just de-iced in the winter a driven off without warming the car I’ve often had to stop again to re-deice or wait for the windscreen air to warm up to demist inside
Appreciate 0