BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-21-2019, 12:41 AM   #1
helat
Rep
Drives: e class

Why acoustic glass forcibly adds tinted rear glass?

I am about to order new X5 40i. I wonder why acoustic glass forcibly adds tinted rear glass? I want a dead silent car but i do not like rear tinted glass. Because with tinted rear seats you forcibly seat in a darkened interior.
In GLE you can order acoustic glass without needing to order tinted rear glasses.

Last edited by helat; 09-21-2019 at 12:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 04:17 AM   #2
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

I don’t have the acoustic glass and my rears are still “tinted” and there was no option to get anything else. At least in the States that’s how it is. Where do you live?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 05:32 AM   #3
Quailhunter
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Acoustic Glass

I have the acoustic glass on my 2019 X5 and it greatly improves the interior sound level, but it is definitely NOT dead quiet.

The sound level is much improved over the 2015 X5 I enjoyed, but nowhere as quiet as my Lexus LS. If you are looking for a near dead quiet car, look at the Lexus LS.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 06:16 AM   #4
helat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by helat View Post
I am about to order new X5 40i. I wonder why acoustic glass forcibly adds tinted rear glass? I want a dead silent car but i do not like rear tinted glass. Because with tinted rear seats you forcibly seat in a darkened interior.
In GLE you can order acoustic glass without needing to order tinted rear glasses.
I live in Georgia (eastern europe) and here law does not allow rear windows to be tinted. that is why i want acoustic glass to be without tinting...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 06:17 AM   #5
helat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailhunter View Post
I have the acoustic glass on my 2019 X5 and it greatly improves the interior sound level, but it is definitely NOT dead quiet.

The sound level is much improved over the 2015 X5 I enjoyed, but nowhere as quiet as my Lexus LS. If you are looking for a near dead quiet car, look at the Lexus LS.
how do you see the outside from inside rear seat cabin? do you see it darkened or how? can you send some pics. thanks...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

To clarify, the rear windows are not tinted, the color is baked into the glass itself, so it is colored glass. My guess for why acoustic is not available on the rears is that BMW did not source parts for that option. They only have colored acoustic glass. Mercedes must have sourced both colored and clear acoustic glass to accommodate markets like Australia and Eastern Europe where dark rear glass is illegal.

I have the acoustic option, which btw changes front and rear (2 pieces) to laminated or acoustic glass. It is better than non-acoustic and you do notice that the X5 is quieter than one without the option, but it is not dead silent as Qualihunter said. It's just noticeably quieter. For $300 US, it was well worth it.
Appreciate 0