BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-18-2021, 11:53 AM   #89
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolStory View Post
Going to post an update; after a year and spending a grand on a stage 2 tune that worked for only a few months..... STILL nothing from Mission or the shop that did the tune. So I'm out a thousand dollars for just a month worth of extra power.... And STILL no word on the TCU upgrade that they promised.

However, even though I definitely did feel the difference of power when I had it, it really isn't/wasn't that big of a difference. If I was drag racing, sure, absolutely, difference of power is necessary. Every day driving? Pulling out in traffic, getting on the freeway? The X5 40i is just as capable as any other vehicle on the road to pull out into traffic and either get ahead or zip into ANY situation without the tune. Do I miss the tune? Absolutely, because I'm a gear-head. Does it change whether or not I can pull out in traffic or get in front of some jackass that won't let me in? Nope. The X5 40i has more than enough power to spook and jump in front any of the idiots on the road trying to block you... unless they're driving some 700+ HP beast.

Conclusion: I bought the x40i because they had no M or 50i on the lot at the time. For a few months I wish I had held out for the gas guzzling M. After getting the tune, which gave me as much if not more HP than the M, I was a bit happy, yet it wasn't used... at all. When the over-the-air update wiped it, I was pissed for sure. But after a year now of driving and realizing that most vehicles on the road still cannot out-match the power of a stock 40i, I realized there was absolutely no need. I not only saved money on a fully loaded vehicle, but I have more than enough power to scoot through traffic without an issue. And let's face it.. this is an SUV... We're not going drag racing any time soon (even though we easily could), so owning an M or 50i as an SUV is just useless. If you want to race up and down the road, go spend half the money on a Corvette and be done with it.
The X5 M50i when compared to the base 40i is a totally different animal whose torque and overall power are enjoyed every time it's accelerator is depressed. The full M and M50i are far from "useless" in any way. Sounds like a bad case of buyers remorse. I drove the 40i before ordering an M50i. There was no decision to be made at that point.
Maybe you should consider trading and order what you really wanted in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 12:01 AM   #90
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolStory View Post
Going to post an update; after a year and spending a grand on a stage 2 tune that worked for only a few months..... STILL nothing from Mission or the shop that did the tune. So I'm out a thousand dollars for just a month worth of extra power.... And STILL no word on the TCU upgrade that they promised.

However, even though I definitely did feel the difference of power when I had it, it really isn't/wasn't that big of a difference. If I was drag racing, sure, absolutely, difference of power is necessary. Every day driving? Pulling out in traffic, getting on the freeway? The X5 40i is just as capable as any other vehicle on the road to pull out into traffic and either get ahead or zip into ANY situation without the tune. Do I miss the tune? Absolutely, because I'm a gear-head. Does it change whether or not I can pull out in traffic or get in front of some jackass that won't let me in? Nope. The X5 40i has more than enough power to spook and jump in front any of the idiots on the road trying to block you... unless they're driving some 700+ HP beast.

Conclusion: I bought the x40i because they had no M or 50i on the lot at the time. For a few months I wish I had held out for the gas guzzling M. After getting the tune, which gave me as much if not more HP than the M, I was a bit happy, yet it wasn't used... at all. When the over-the-air update wiped it, I was pissed for sure. But after a year now of driving and realizing that most vehicles on the road still cannot out-match the power of a stock 40i, I realized there was absolutely no need. I not only saved money on a fully loaded vehicle, but I have more than enough power to scoot through traffic without an issue. And let's face it.. this is an SUV... We're not going drag racing any time soon (even though we easily could), so owning an M or 50i as an SUV is just useless. If you want to race up and down the road, go spend half the money on a Corvette and be done with it.
Buddy, no tune on a 40i is getting you to M power levels lol...

You are seriously trying to compare a car that gets 4.5s to 60 WITH a tune to a car that gets to 60 in 3.5s with my mother just flooring the gas at a red light.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 08:26 AM   #91
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
Buddy, no tune on a 40i is getting you to M power levels lol...

You are seriously trying to compare a car that gets 4.5s to 60 WITH a tune to a car that gets to 60 in 3.5s with my mother just flooring the gas at a red light.
Yeah, the guy seems to think his "tune" took him from 335HP to the M level 600 or 617. Sure it did. There are many rationalizations for buying the 40i but this is the best one I've heard. Hilarious.
Appreciate 1
-Vanguard-1174.50