BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-25-2023, 10:57 AM   #1
jpw172
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW X5 50e

2024 X5 50e Charging

Got my new 50e and plugged it in to a normal garage outlet and am only pulling 1kw…is that normal for level 1?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 11:12 AM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Yes...power=volts*amps. The FFS device is setup to only produce a maximum of 10A when plugged into a 120vac circuit. While you can preset the iDrive menu to the maximum of 32A, because the FFS is telling the X5 it can only provide 10A, that's the maximum it will then pull from the device.

So, at 10A*120vac=1200W. If the vehicle is set to a lower amperage, that would easily force the charging level to be lower. Then, keep in mind that the conversion from ACV to DCV needed to charge the batteries (it needs about 380vdc), you won't be able to put those full 1200W into the vehicle, especially if it's warm out, and some of the power will go towards cooling. It will take a very long time to fully recharge a 50e with the FFS unless you update it to level 2 with a new cord and provide the needed new 240vac circuit to make it work...then, you can hit the maximum charging rate of 7.4Kw.

US electrical code requires you pull no more than 80% of the rated maximum for the electrical circuit, so for a typical 15A circuit, that would be 12A. If you have a 20A circuit, you could pull 16A, but keep in mind that if the circuit is shared with say a garage door opener, or lights, or whatever, using the EVSE's maximum value could easily trip the breaker. It's best if the circuit is dedicated to the charging, and much faster if you can provide a 50A circuit that would be legal to plug the FFS in with the new cable.

Personally, I prefer to hardwire my larger EVSE, and instead of wiring in a receptacle and buy the new cord for your FFS, I'd consider buying a hardwired, dedicated level 2 box. There's nothing wrong with the FFS, but the receptacles really aren't designed for frequent insertions and removals, and note, a quality receptacle that will last awhile, is over $100 all by itself, not counting the installation. The cord needed for the FFS is over $200 retail. Personally, I'd rather apply that $300+ to a dedicated, hard-wired EVSE, and use the FFS as your emergency backup or when charging at a friend's, or on a trip if you can't find some other place to plug in.
Appreciate 1
jpw17258.00
      08-25-2023, 01:22 PM   #3
jpw172
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Yes...power=volts*amps. The FFS device is setup to only produce a maximum of 10A when plugged into a 120vac circuit. While you can preset the iDrive menu to the maximum of 32A, because the FFS is telling the X5 it can only provide 10A, that's the maximum it will then pull from the device.

So, at 10A*120vac=1200W. If the vehicle is set to a lower amperage, that would easily force the charging level to be lower. Then, keep in mind that the conversion from ACV to DCV needed to charge the batteries (it needs about 380vdc), you won't be able to put those full 1200W into the vehicle, especially if it's warm out, and some of the power will go towards cooling. It will take a very long time to fully recharge a 50e with the FFS unless you update it to level 2 with a new cord and provide the needed new 240vac circuit to make it work...then, you can hit the maximum charging rate of 7.4Kw.

US electrical code requires you pull no more than 80% of the rated maximum for the electrical circuit, so for a typical 15A circuit, that would be 12A. If you have a 20A circuit, you could pull 16A, but keep in mind that if the circuit is shared with say a garage door opener, or lights, or whatever, using the EVSE's maximum value could easily trip the breaker. It's best if the circuit is dedicated to the charging, and much faster if you can provide a 50A circuit that would be legal to plug the FFS in with the new cable.

Personally, I prefer to hardwire my larger EVSE, and instead of wiring in a receptacle and buy the new cord for your FFS, I'd consider buying a hardwired, dedicated [...]
Thanks. I’m not an electrician (obviously by my original post. Ha!). I have several regular electric outlets through the garage. To get a level 2 charger installed are they able to modify an outlet that already exists or do you need to run a lot of extra wires from the main breaker?
Appreciate 1
Jzomom9.00
      08-25-2023, 01:30 PM   #4
Jeff661
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX x50 Stormbay Metalic

Garage List
2023 BMW iX x50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw172 View Post
Thanks. I’m not an electrician (obviously by my original post. Ha!). I have several regular electric outlets through the garage. To get a level 2 charger installed are they able to modify an outlet that already exists or do you need to run a lot of extra wires from the main breaker?
If one of those outlets is a dedicated outlet it’s possible that they can use the same wires but the current on the line will be the same. So if it’s a 15 amp circuit you could get a 15 amp 240v using the same wires. Realistically, you don’t want to do this. You want to go up to a 40 or 50 amp circuit that requires thicker copper wires. That will allow you to charge not just this car but your next one too.
Appreciate 1
jpw17258.00
      08-25-2023, 01:33 PM   #5
jpw172
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff661 View Post
If one of those outlets is a dedicated outlet it’s possible that they can use the same wires but the current on the line will be the same. So if it’s a 15 amp circuit you could get a 15 amp 240v using the same wires. Realistically, you don’t want to do this. You want to go up to a 40 or 50 amp circuit that requires thicker copper wires. That will allow you to charge not just this car but your next one too.
Got it. Thanks. Appreciate the input.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 02:12 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

If you're lucky, one of those receptacles is a dedicated line AND is being fed by a 20A circuit. In that case, to max out that circuit, you could have the receptacle changed and the circuit breaker changed for a 16A/240vac circuit. Compared to your existing situation, instead of a max of 1200W (10A*120vac), you could get 16*240=3840 or over 3x more power...but, you'd need to buy a 16A/240vac EVSE to accomplish that.

If you're willing to run a new line, then it makes sense to probably go for a 50A circuit. With the proper cord, the FFS EVSE you have could max out the 50e's charging rate, and let it reach its 7400W maximum input, or about 6x more than what you're getting.

Right now, in the USA, the version 2 FFS only has two different adapter cords...the one that came with it provides 10A, and with the optional cord, up to 40A (which requires a 50A supply to meet up with code for the 80% rule). There may be other adapter cords available (eventually), but they have not been announced that I've seen.

I still would prefer to hard wire an EVSE in versus using a plug. If the plug ever gets easy to insert into the receptacle, the receptacle is worn out and should be replaced.
Appreciate 2
jpw17258.00
Jzomom9.00
      08-25-2023, 04:28 PM   #7
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff661 View Post
The actual reason this a not practically is because unless the outlet is next to the panel box, like you can practically see the trace, there is no easy way to determine if the circuit is dedicated to a single usage of receptacle. Even if you hire an electrician, he/she most like won't make such a change for you. If you or he/she guess it wrong, the consequence is large. it is a very bad advice to give in public forum like it is a simple trivial job. think this, if you have to pull a permit for this job, what kind of procedure one will need to make sure it pass inspection. It is a big procedure, probably more expansive than running a new circuit.
      08-25-2023, 05:02 PM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

FWIW, there are circuit tracers that make it fairly easy to see where a line runs, but I agree, it is better to run a new, dedicated line to support both this, and your next, likely higher capacity EV or PHEV where more power is going to be useful.

But, consider, if your daily use pattern is a typical commute (about 30-miles roundtrip), it's easy to refill your batteries with just the level one EVSE that comes with the 50e. Yes, after a longer trip, it probably won't get full overnight, but you'll still probably have enough to get to work and back the next day, and gradually refill it prior to the next weekend, when you might use more.
Appreciate 0