BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-11-2023, 11:48 AM   #1
2013F10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535xi

Towing parts needed for 2019 40ix with S8SL

I've been reading the various posts about installing tow hitches on G05 X5's but am still unclear on what parts I need for my 2019 X5 40ix with S8SL (Trailer Coupling Preparation). Based on my reading, my 2019 should have a tow harness pigtail installed (discontinued in 2021), and since it has S8SL ready to go there should be minimal coding.

My requirements (I will be installing and have coding software):

-Tow hitch with 2" square mount capable of carrying dirt bike hauler and/or camper towing. Looks as close to OEM as possible.

-Plug and play wiring to integrate into BMW with tow options.

Real OEM shows this setup for my vehicle, which only has a ball:

The Stealth Hitch with active wiring harness is $1500, which is a bit steep for my needs.

On the other end of the spectrum, Draw-Tite offers a Class 4 hitch that will work and is affordable, but it sits a few inches below the rear bumper and I will need to purchase the wiring separately.

Do I need a harness? If so, wow the harness is pricey!

Are there any other options that won't cost over $750-$1000 all-in?
Do I simply need a hitch and a harness? Thanks all.

Last edited by 2013F10; 12-11-2023 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 01:08 PM   #2
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Have you checked etrailer? They're very good to work with, and usually will have pictures of the hitches installed on your specific vehicle.

Regarding the harness... If you're just gonna put mountain bikes on a bike carrier, a dead hitch might be fine. Going beyond that, you have to start taking into account what you're gonna pull. If you're just gonna pull a basic utility trailer that needs running lights and left and right stop/turn lights, you can often do that easily. If you're gonna tow a 5000lb camper with a 7 way plug and electric brakes... That's a whole different matter.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 01:25 PM   #3
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I’ve looked into this a lot. There is one wiring harness that u need that is around $700 if you want to have functionality of of the OEM functions. That’s kind of main reason for the steep price. So the $1500 price on stealth hitch is fair price. I can try to find the part numbers again if you want.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 01:59 PM   #4
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
I’ve looked into this a lot. There is one wiring harness that u need that is around $700 if you want to have functionality of of the OEM functions. That’s kind of main reason for the steep price. So the $1500 price on stealth hitch is fair price. I can try to find the part numbers again if you want.
Please do, I need to do this eventually for my X5, lol.
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602309.50
      12-11-2023, 06:15 PM   #5
2013F10
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Have you checked etrailer? They're very good to work with, and usually will have pictures of the hitches installed on your specific vehicle.

Regarding the harness... If you're just gonna put mountain bikes on a bike carrier, a dead hitch might be fine. Going beyond that, you have to start taking into account what you're gonna pull. If you're just gonna pull a basic utility trailer that needs running lights and left and right stop/turn lights, you can often do that easily. If you're gonna tow a 5000lb camper with a 7 way plug and electric brakes... That's a whole different matter.
It definitely won't be a heavy trailer. I have a dirt bike hitch hauler and we are planning on getting a light camper in the next few years. I considered a dead hitch but given the amount of work required to install it, I may as well integrate it into the BMW system. I have checked trailer but they do not have a plug and play hitch, only dead hitches so I'd have to buy an OEM harness and control module any way. It only saves $200-$300 over the Stealth Hitch. Might go that route.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 06:16 PM   #6
2013F10
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
Thanks for your input. I priced piecing the system together myself today and it doesn't save much over Stealth Hitch. I think you're right that this is a fair price, especially because it includes remotely coding the new module.
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602309.50
      12-11-2023, 07:26 PM   #7
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013F10 View Post
Thanks for your input. I priced piecing the system together myself today and it doesn't save much over Stealth Hitch. I think you're right that this is a fair price, especially because it includes remotely coding the new module.
Yes you are correct.

Here is the list of parts I think u would need:

BlkGS

1) Wiring set 61129834454 - $667
2) control unit 63115A056D0 - $141
3) Polk connector 61136840334 - $66

Then stealth hitch itself and remote coding. So yea I don’t think stealth hitch package tries to make money on those parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 08:27 PM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

By plugging in the OEM trailer interface and a physical tow bar, you should have what you need to get lights and the hitch could be most aftermarket ones. If you want the OEM look, you'd need more. If you want a receiver versus the gooseneck used elsewhere, there are options in the US.

If you want to tow more than a light utility trailer, you'll also need an electronic brake controller, unless the trailer has surge brakes. BMW does not seem to sell an OEM electronic brake controller. I have a 2021 with the towing package, which has the electronics for lights, the receiver, and a get ready to add an electronic brake controller. I do not know how or where the make ready package was configured on the 2019; on the 2021, that electronic brake controller pigtail is under the dash by the driver's knees. It might be elsewhere on yours.

Since it was prepped for adding the full towing package, a BMW dealer probably would do any required programming, but there are others that can do it. I think it's only a few lines, so shouldn't take much. I haven't looked, but the required lines might be available with BimmerCode, which might be your lower cost item, but I'd check with BMW and BimmerCode to see.
Appreciate 0