BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-29-2023, 05:10 PM   #1
Jasdha
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Tire Rub

Has anyone seen this on their vehicles. I have a 2024 50e and the right passenger side seems to have a large amount of rubbing on the face and edge of the tire.

Car only has 200km and I definitely did not hit any curbs, rims are perfect. Seems to have gotten worse over last day as well, and it’s around the entire face of the tire

None of the other tires have it. Air pressure is fine, no steering rattle, not sure what it could be.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 08:07 PM   #2
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

Looks like maybe you drove over a pothole or other road imperfection and clipped the side of your tire.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 08:09 PM   #3
Jasdha
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
Looks like maybe you drove over a pothole or other road imperfection and clipped the side of your tire.
Pothole shouldn’t cause it to happen around the entire diameter of the tire tho
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 08:23 PM   #4
rainmn60
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [10.00]
Looks like a possible curb rash.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 08:31 PM   #5
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasdha View Post
Not a pothole, but a dip in the road that extends for some distance. I've seen this in various places.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 08:33 PM   #6
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasdha View Post
Not a pothole, but a dip in the road that extends for some distance. I've seen this in various places. My first guess would be curb rash, but OP said they didn't do this.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 10:25 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

From the angle of the image...it appears that the tire rubbed up against something that wasn't deep (or high) enough to damage the wheel itself.

There is no body part that could have rubbed the face of the tire like that so it had to come in contact with something external...and something that temporarily rubbed the tire.

The OP needs to think back to where they've been driving and determine if there's some low object or stationary object that they could have rubbed the front passenger tire against. Banks or any drive-through lane can sometimes have low curbs or barriers that you may have rubbed up against...and parking lots that have concrete curbs around islands that separate parking spots...or at the end of the parking lane. Then there are also the entrances and exits to an establishment that may have low curbs that one can rub against. And there's also one's garage that may have something you rubbed up against as you pulled in or out.

Example...below is an image of a parking space at the end of the row that has low curbs that you have to be careful not to rub up against (which is why I activate PDC & top down cameras to display the curbs)...if only the tire rubbed up against the concrete...the OP may not have "heard" the scrape...especially since it didn't damage the wheel...only the rubber tire:

And below is an image of the exit out of an establishment where you can also rub the tire/wheel if you can't see it and other cars are entering which can make you swerve further to the right and rub against the concrete:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-30-2023 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 08:38 AM   #8
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
From the angle of the image...it appears that the tire rubbed up against something that wasn't deep (or high) enough to damage the wheel itself.

There is no body part that could have rubbed the face of the tire like that so it had to come in contact with something external...and something that temporarily rubbed the tire.

The OP needs to think back to where they've been driving and determine if there's some low object or stationary object that they could have rubbed the front passenger tire against. Banks or any drive-through lane can sometimes have low curbs or barriers that you may have rubbed up against...and parking lots that have concrete curbs around islands that separate parking spots...or at the end of the parking lane. Then there are also the entrances and exits to an establishment that may have low curbs that one can rub against. And there's also one's garage that may have something you rubbed up against as you pulled in or out.

It's sooooo easy to do without being aware of it.
Appreciate 0