BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-12-2023, 10:32 PM   #1
Srini
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ix

Platinum ESC & Multi coverage protection - advise

Hi,

I'm purchasing the new 2024 BMW X5 xDrive50E and will be primarily driving it in central Florida.

I would appreciate your advice on whether to opt for the extended warranty, as I plan to keep the X5 for at least 7 years or more.

My dealership is presenting the following Extended Warranty options:

Extended Service Contract - Platinum - 72 months / 75,000 miles
Multi-Coverage Protection - 84 months
Prepaid Maintenance - 60 months / 75,000 miles
The cost is an additional $100 per month for 60 months, added to the auto loan.

Thank you,
Srini.

https://www.bmwusa.com/financial-ser...n-program.html
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 01:22 AM   #2
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

you can always add the Extended Service Contract at a later time.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 08:01 AM   #3
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Just say NO. As stated above you may purchase an extended warranty anytime before the factory warranty expires. Much can happen before then such as you don't like the car, you want a new one, etc. etc. Also refuse all other dealer add-ons like wheel protection, ceramic, tint, and so on. They are huge profit makers for dealers and NOT worth the cost. If you want PPF, Ceramic or Tint find a local professional who has a good rep. Finally, as you're in Central FL.......Go Gators!
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 1
Srini8.50
      12-13-2023, 08:24 AM   #4
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

That's $6000!!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 12:15 PM   #5
RPA8888
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

I think the advice to wait on the purchase is a very good one.

After you've owned the car for awhile and are completely certain that you want to keep it, then evaluate your options.

One plan that I have had experience with - the Fidelity Platinum, is excellent. It's an exclusionary warranty - meaning that you are provided with a complete list of items that the warranty will not cover. Everything else is covered - so no surprises. Fidelity supports factory / OEM replacement parts and also will not quibble about BMW dealership labor rates.

One thing to keep in mind - the price of the policy significantly increases when the car goes over 25k miles. So you may want to factor that in on the timing of your purchase decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 12:21 PM   #6
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPA8888 View Post
I think the advice to wait on the purchase is a very good one.

After you've owned the car for awhile and are completely certain that you want to keep it, then evaluate your options.

One plan that I have had experience with - the Fidelity Platinum, is excellent. It's an exclusionary warranty - meaning that you are provided with a complete list of items that the warranty will not cover. Everything else is covered - so no surprises. Fidelity supports factory / OEM replacement parts and also will not quibble about BMW dealership labor rates.

One thing to keep in mind - the price of the policy significantly increases when the car goes over 25k miles. So you may want to factor that in on the timing of your purchase decision.
We have Fidelity coverage on our Expedition (lifetime powertrain in fact). I spent a LOT of time talking to them about coverage and upkeep requirements as Indo a lot of my own work. They're great to deal with. The only downside with them, you can't buy a plan directly from them. They have a sister company that offers the same plans, and it's all the same people, but with a different name, but I can't remember the name of them.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 01:04 PM   #7
bleedblue82
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

If you take a look at the post I just made - don't make the same mistake I did. There are other dealers who focus on volume for these plans and therefore offer better rates. At the very least check them first. There's no downside, but once you get in the box it's harder to think about all this...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 04:20 PM   #8
RPA8888
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
We have Fidelity coverage on our Expedition (lifetime powertrain in fact). I spent a LOT of time talking to them about coverage and upkeep requirements as Indo a lot of my own work. They're great to deal with. The only downside with them, you can't buy a plan directly from them. They have a sister company that offers the same plans, and it's all the same people, but with a different name, but I can't remember the name of them.
There are a number of sources that anyone can purchase a Fidelity plan. Sources that are franchised new car dealerships that discount the plans and offer them regardless of the brand of car that the plan would be for.

One example is Michael Bernardo with Steingold Volvo located in Pawtucket RI.

Another example is Michael Jourdan with Mossy Motors in New Orleans. Michael is the Finance Director for the dealership. I worked with him when I purchased a Fidelity Platinum warranty for my 2009 Porsche 911. He was great to deal with. Michael is quite active in selling the plans to members of the Rennlist Porsche forum.

Another benefit of the Fidelity plan is that it is transferrable to the subsequent owner of the vehicle. Or, you can submit for a prorated refund later if you decide to sell the car when the warranty is still in effect.
Appreciate 0