12-11-2019, 06:19 AM   #67
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
The G05 is littered with usb-C ports, but how many are just charge points and how many are connected to the infotainment system?
Back seat ports (USB C) are charge only, front center console ports (USB A, C) are charge and data transfer. So both front ports should connect -- can't verify myself but I think that's what others have confirmed.
Appreciate 1
mcsa65.00
      12-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #68
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by perikifi View Post
Back seat ports (USB C) are charge only, front center console ports (USB A, C) are charge and data transfer. So both front ports should connect -- can't verify myself but I think that's what others have confirmed.
In what locations are they in the front? is there one still in the center console like there was before? Do I have to bring a usb-c to lightning cable when I take delivery or can is there a regular USB A port in the car somewhere as well?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 03:57 PM   #69
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
In what locations are they in the front? is there one still in the center console like there was before? Do I have to bring a usb-c to lightning cable when I take delivery or can is there a regular USB A port in the car somewhere as well?
There's 1 USB-A port by the cup holders
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      12-18-2019, 06:03 PM   #70
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

stupid random question: Does the bowers and wilkins logo on the center speaker light up at night?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #71
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
stupid random question: Does the bowers and wilkins logo on the center speaker light up at night?
I'm assuming you're talking about the center speaker on top of the dash? I can confirm, it does light up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
thereef5101163.00
1230vani637.00
Cooltones241.00
      12-18-2019, 08:46 PM   #72
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:
that actually would be fantastic if you could use carplay for the audio and still use the stock system for the rest of the stuff. idk im excited to play with it whenever we get it. But I still like the 'tiles' in the idrive display that show artist/track information from their native player. I've gotten so used to it on our F15 and even though the interface is now older compared to this new one, my friends still comment on how good it looks in our F15.

So the "wifi hotspot' in the G05 is basically a LAN network right? Can you use the personal hotspot feature of your phone to have WAN wi-fi or does it not work like that? I mean i guess that wouldn't even really matter because if you're connected to CarPlay that subsumes your iphone is already connected to your data plan anyway...

I hope I get a good grasp of all of this before delivery because I doubt the dealer or spartanburg will have the patience to have all of this carefully explained and set up for us
Not to nitpick, but the WiFi hotspot would technically be a WAN

From what I've gathered, your iPhone can still connect via WiFi and use LTE/Wireless data for streaming services. How it does that, IDK.

I think the delivery team in Spartenburg will be very patient and informative. They will help you set up all your profiles and everything. I'm looking forward to the PCD because it really sounds like they give you the white glove treatment.
technically, the built in hotspot is on the Cars LAN, the modem in the car connects to a WAN. To be accurate.
Appreciate 2
thereef5101163.00
gpitts247.00
      12-18-2019, 08:47 PM   #73
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolerbythelake View Post
Quote:
I'm assuming you're talking about the center speaker on top of the dash? I can confirm, it does light up.
yes it dose. worth every penny once you get HiFi files on a USB
Appreciate 2
thereef5101163.00
Cooltones241.00
      12-18-2019, 09:33 PM   #74
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroGeek View Post

I'm an audiophile through and through. All of my music I bought were on CDs that I converted and catalogued into ALAC (Apple lossless) and stuck in my phone. I hate listening to the radio because it sounds so bad. I cannot wait for the B&W system in our car to be built, thank you!

I also think it looks badass for the B&W logo to light up like that.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 10:13 PM   #75
Wxnatscaps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i Arctic Grey

Damn, that looks cool. Making me wish I did BW vs HK.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 10:23 PM   #76
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroGeek View Post

I'm an audiophile through and through. All of my music I bought were on CDs that I converted and catalogued into ALAC (Apple lossless) and stuck in my phone. I hate listening to the radio because it sounds so bad. I cannot wait for the B&W system in our car to be built, thank you!

I also think it looks badass for the B&W logo to light up like that.
I'm so excited for you, you're going to love it!

I'm not an audiophile by any means. I listen to most of my music through CarPlay. It's at its highest quality but even that pales to the format you'll be using. We have an M340i with the HK system and then an X5 with the B&W system. The X5 is my daily driver. The HK system is very nice but woah is there ever a difference hopping in my X5 after the M340i. Not that the HK is bad - and I realize the acoustics are probably different between the two cars - but there's a noticeable difference to me. I spent some time playing around with the sound settings and getting them tuned and dialed in where I like them. I have mine set to the On Stage 3D option with the 3D effect on max. If I had to pick a single word to describe the system it would be immersive. Really, really immersive. I feel like I'm sitting in the middle of the music. The clarity and the detail of the sound is just unreal. I promise you, you'll be very pleased.

I also really enjoy the ambiance at night with the lit speakers. I wouldn't hesitate to order the system again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
thereef5101163.00
Cooltones241.00
      12-18-2019, 10:35 PM   #77
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm so excited for you, you're going to love it!

I'm not an audiophile by any means. I listen to most of my music through CarPlay. It's at its highest quality but even that pales to the format you'll be using. We have an M340i with the HK system and then an X5 with the B&W system. The X5 is my daily driver. The HK system is very nice but woah is there ever a difference hopping in my X5 after the M340i. Not that the HK is bad - and I realize the acoustics are probably different between the two cars - but there's a noticeable difference to me. I spent some time playing around with the sound settings and getting them tuned and dialed in where I like them. I have mine set to the On Stage 3D option with the 3D effect on max. If I had to pick a single word to describe the system it would be immersive. Really, really immersive. I feel like I'm sitting in the middle of the music. The clarity and the detail of the sound is just unreal. I promise you, you'll be very pleased.

I also really enjoy the ambiance at night with the lit speakers. I wouldn't hesitate to order the system again.

holy crap that looks so good!!! now i'm even more anxious to get ours (projected feb delivery ugh).

Our F15 has the HK system and I thought it sounded great. When I was putting my build together, I didn't even consider the B&W system, but our dealer was trying to convince us to buy off the lot and the only model they had which came close to all of my spec'd features had the B&W system. At one point I just asked him if I could really listen to it and he let me and being so intimately familiar with the HK system already, I immediately picked up on exactly what you were talking about: the presence of being inside the music. It was immediately apparent at a moderate volume. BUt then he cranked it up... and holy crap it just got better and better.

So then I went back home and I was angry I had heard that. There's no way I could now spec out a new build without it, so I had to include it. I love love love listening to music (especially if I've had a good day) and while I have a good stereo at home, its difficult to find time to crank it up and not disturb anyone else. But in the car is my time, and I'm overjoyed to get to play with this system and make my commutes that much more tolerable. Thank you for sharing! i'm gonna keep revisiting these pictures till I get mine lol
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 03:04 AM   #78
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:

Seriously..... those pictures caused multiple unholy thoughts.

I absolutely cannot wait to explore this system.

I'm even having a CD player installed before I pick up the car
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #79
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

I apologize in advance if this is repetitive post, although in searching the forum I fear that I am only becoming more confused.

We have our X5 on order with the B&W system (and acoustic glass), but as we are stationed in Europe we cannot use Connected Drive in our US spec BMW. That puts Apple and (eventual) Android options off the table.

We currently use Spotify and have a massive collection of music on an 2nd generation iPod touch and an iPod Classic (just can't kill them) which we connect to our current vehicles via Bluetooth and/or a USB connection. Given the frequent military moves, we eliminated the CD collection.

What would be the best way to enjoy the current music collection in our X5 when it arrives? We are looking at an April delivery of our build, so thought it may be best now. Thanks in advance for any input and I apologize again, if this may have been covered elsewhere.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 01:03 PM   #80
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

This is what I did because I did not want to switch from Android to Apple.

I used bimmercode to code video in motion.

I do screen share which uses the WiFi connection to play my music on Spotify/Amazon Music.

It definitely sounds better than Bluetooth.
Appreciate 1
osteome194.50
      02-04-2020, 02:30 AM   #81
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
B&W is great on the SUV's (X7, X6 and X5) as it has 3d sound which really brings it to another level. On the 7 series though I think it's s@!% for what you pay for.
2017 F86 X6M - Donington Grey
2024 F95 X5M Comp LCI - Isle of Man Green
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 09:33 AM   #82
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

got ours yesterday and listened for 6 hours on the drive back from the PCD. holy crap what a difference! those speakers make you think you're in a large living room. it stays perfectly balanced at ANY volume, doesn't struggle at all. Not one bit. Couldn't be happier. Probably the most extravagant upgrade but it's so so so worth it if you listen to a lot of music. Everyone who listened commented on how good it sounded. It's a shame now that I cant ever put together a build without this system.

Anyone care to share their EQ and sound mode settings?
Appreciate 1
mcsa65.00
      02-14-2020, 10:22 AM   #83
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxnatscaps View Post
Damn, that looks cool. Making me wish I did BW vs HK.
That's quite a premium for a "night light". My wife has in her 650 and it does look cool but gets lost among all the other nice features on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:51 AM   #84
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
That's quite a premium for a "night light". My wife has in her 650 and it does look cool but gets lost among all the other nice features on the dash.
yeah it's not nearly as prominent as you would think. it's literally like a night light logo lol. but the sound more than makes up for the light and i suppose that's the point.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 11:04 AM   #85
mcsa
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d 2020

Garage List
Quote:
got ours yesterday and listened for 6 hours on the drive back from the PCD. holy crap what a difference! those speakers make you think you're in a large living room. it stays perfectly balanced at ANY volume, doesn't struggle at all. Not one bit. Couldn't be happier. Probably the most extravagant upgrade but it's so so so worth it if you listen to a lot of music. Everyone who listened commented on how good it sounded. It's a shame now that I cant ever put together a build without this system.

Anyone care to share their EQ and sound mode settings?
Thank your for sharing your experience.

I have placed order for M50d with B&W few weeks ago and ever since I wasn't sure if it was worth extra $€. Now, I cannot wait to hear it person

Enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 11:21 AM   #86
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsa View Post
Thank your for sharing your experience.

I have placed order for M50d with B&W few weeks ago and ever since I wasn't sure if it was worth extra $€. Now, I cannot wait to hear it person

Enjoy it!
we are big audiophiles: I have a couple of really good stereo systems at home and they play so well in our family room etc. whenever someone has a rough or good day, we play music at home and it just transforms you to another place.

I've had 'upgraded' stereos in a lot of different cars. OEM upgrades and aftermarket upgrades. Nothing so far has come close to the B&W system and I don't feel like that statement is an overexaggeration. I've seen some competent youtube reviewers who did tests and all agree it's one of the best they've ever heard. Even though I listened yesterday for hours, I'm still just sitting here counting down the minutes till I can go home and listen to it again.

This is the closest thing i've seen to replicating that feeling of spaciousness inside of a car cabin. you wont feel like you're sitting in a car, but in a very large room with good acoustics- the soundstage is truly incredible. It's THAT good (at least in the front seats, never sat in the back and i dont imagine I ever will). because our drive was 6 hours, I really got to listen to it and threw all types of content at it. Combined with the acoustic glass, we're very very very happy with our decision. You're gonna love it; i'm jealous for you to get your first listen when you get it and have your mind blown lol
Appreciate 2
mcsa65.00
      02-14-2020, 11:48 AM   #87
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
I'm curious to better understand the impact this forum has on BMW option selections. In markets w/o a lot of cars/options on the lot it would be difficult to select pricey options unseen such as B&W sound, DHP, glass controls, acoustic windows, etc. In general, the comments on options have been positive as I don't recall any that influenced me to not to select an option while many favorable comments pushed me to include it.
I guess that says a lot about BMW product offering especially since while we do tend to be BMW enthusiasts you can't say, as a group, we're not critical.
Appreciate 1
mcsa65.00
      02-19-2020, 09:48 PM   #88
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Can we please talk settings? what's yours? right now I have the bass cranked up, on Concert 3D with flat eq. I'd like to play with the eq but i dont know what settings are best, nor do I have the equipment to find out. What other music modes are you guys using?
Appreciate 0