Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Apple Watch Series 3

Hey guys,

After seeing the Apple Keynote, it got me thinking about the Apple watches. I've been thinking about getting a 2 but now that the 3 is coming soon, I don't know... I guess the reason why I personally would like to get one is for the fitness tracking appeal.

What do you guys think of the new Series 3 watch?
https://www.apple.com/apple-watch-series-3/
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
McBride
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport +

I've been toying with the idea for a long time but never made a final decision.

I'm torn really, like you I only really want it for fitness tracking and as a reminder to get up from my desk and go for a walk. Whilst I'm sure the iwatch will do this very well, so will a Fitbit or a Garmin? They are also much smaller and half the price.

My head says buy a Fitbit or Garmin as reviews seem to indicate the heart rate monitors have improved in the recent versions. However my heart says buy an iwatch because it looks sleek and I have a soft spot for Apple.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 05:45 PM   #3
porshah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, R8, Huracan - All topdown

Garage List
Have had Apple Watch since the first one and currently have series 2. For fitness tracker I am sure there are other alternatives. I personally love it for the gym. It allows you to sync your music to the watch so you can leave your phone in the locker and just use the watch paired to a set of Bluetooth headphones during your workout. Curious to see how the new one with cellular will work in real life.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #4
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Fueled by Apple Watch sales growth, smartwatches take over wearables market

Apple researching whether Apple Watch can detect common heart conditions

Apple Heart Study focusing on atrial fibrillation launching in 2017

Apple announces $399 Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular, letting you ditch your iPhone for data on the go

AT&T, Verizon will charge $10 per month for Apple Watch Series 3 cellular data plans

Last edited by omasou; 09-12-2017 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
zinengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Space Gray X5 M Sport

I've got one of the original versions (my son was working for Apple at the time). I first bought it for the "novelty/cool" factor. I do find the fitness tracking useful, you'll get "achievements" and it does, sort of, provide motivation. I mostly use the email/message preview feature. I can see emails and texts when they come in and decide if it's something I need to address vs. getting the phone (yes...picking up the phone to check messages is SO much work).

Not sure if I will get another one if/when this one dies. I keep thinking I'll just go back to my G Shock for everyday wear, but I keep using the Apple watch for the fitness tracking. And yes, the gentle reminder to get up and walk a few minutes each hour does help.
      09-12-2017, 09:10 PM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I have the original Apple watch and smashed it. Then I put a cover on it, thinking that would keep it in OK working condition. But the perspiration builds up between the screen and the cover. Completely useless, and no way to replace it. Terrible. My sweet wife was going to buy me a new one, but I told her to please note waste her money.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #7
karbonM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 ZCP

I just purchased the Nike version of the series 2 about 2 months ago, and I absolutely love it. I have about 6 different bands that I can swap out in a matter of seconds. Serves multiple purposes including but not limited to: Range finder on golf course, turn by turn directions when driving, answering phone/texts while phone is in pocket or on charger, etc. I also find it cool that I can be upstairs doing something, and still use my 'phone' while it is downstairs, all via the watch.

That being said, I plan on upgrading to the 3, and will be selling my IMMACULATE series 2. Non smoker home, have everything it came with new. If anyone is interested just throw me a pm and I can get you pics of anything you might want to see.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #8
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
It's a nice upgrade, especially if the AW is going to be your daily wearer.

I mainly use my Series 2 for workouts (lifting and swimming), so I'm not jumping to upgrade to the Series 3 for the Cellular Data.

IMO, if you have a Series 2 and it's not your daily watch, not worth shelling out another $5-600 a year later on an upgrade, but if your just now in the market for a smart watch, definitely an incredible choice.

Stainless Steel - Black is the way to go. Sapphire Crystal is a must on this watch, I've seen the aluminum cases with the glass and does get scratched.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 09:14 PM   #9
LiquidMercury
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
What do you guys think of the new Series 3 watch?
https://www.apple.com/apple-watch-series-3/
Honestly, I've never owned one and most likely never will. I'm not an Apple hater, just to be clear (as I post this reply on my iPad Air), and I love watches as an accessory.

I just don't like the whole app, etc. gimmicks that come with not only the Apple series, but that opinion carries to the Android smartwatch market as well. I owned a Moto360, and whilst kinda fun playing around and designing my own custom faces for it, it too got boring. The battery life on these overall just stink too, especially if you fully use as much as you can or at least what they claim you can without them dying before day's end.

And frankly, for the cost, it looks like a toy for what my phone can and does already do for me. But, there's clearly a market for them. Just not taking my dosh is all. To each their own, n' all that jazz.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 10:14 PM   #10
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I had the 3g Gear S and really loved it but I was tethered to Android. The awesome thing about it being cellular was I could go for a walk, work out or leave my phone in the car while grocery shopping etc and still have calls sent to the watch. I really had started switching over to iOS and saw the Gear S3 would be able to work with iPhones. I waited for awhile for Verizon to release another cellular version but didn’t until recently. So I got a regular S3. I love it’s more traditional look and it does the basics, but isn’t as fully integrated as an Apple Watch. I’m really glad Apple is finally releasing a cellular watch but I wish they had something other than square. I can’t get past the look. I’ve tried to see if different bands might help but they don’t. Maybe gen 4 will offer a round watch AND cellular, then I’ll switch. Until then it looks nice on my wife’s wrist, not mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #11
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I have one and have been very happy with it. I got a Monowear bracelet for it so it basically resembles a blank tank watch. The only downside is that it won't pair with BMW BT so if you leave the phone at home and want to take a call in the car you have to do so with the watch, not the car.

My battery has never run low and I wear it all day, charge at night. I am a light tech user and don't go crazy with apps on it, but leaving my phone at home is awesome when I go out to dinner / cocktail in the evening. People can still get me in an emergency and I can text to meet up with folks or whatever, but the real game changer here is the ability to operate sans phone when you're out for the night. At least in my book.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:47 AM   #12
DarksideM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Just got mine this week, setup was a bit of a pain because my phone is a business account. Apple wasn't clear and transparent about the process with the carriers. You basically have to add a line to your account/plan and get the watch assigned a new phone number. After that you can sync it to your phone and it will acquire your cell number while AT&T magically does the call forwarding stuff behind the scenes. Calls from your watch will ID as your primary number confirmed that once setup.

Battery life as mentioned is very good, haven't had to charge it over 2 days.

The convenience of going out without lugging my big 7 plus, taking a call or answering a text and checking email.

One issue I will mention is it's noticeable the watch small form factor has a weak antenna so data and cell operations do get hindered more noticeably in weak reception areas and inside buildings depending on the infrastructure. So don't expect it to be as powerful as your iphone on reception.

Only other nit I have outside of the bluetooth car thing mentioned is it won't connect to wifi spots so always forced to use cell/data for connectivity.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #13
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarksideM4 View Post
Just got mine this week, setup was a bit of a pain because my phone is a business account.

Only other nit I have outside of the bluetooth car thing mentioned is it won't connect to wifi spots so always forced to use cell/data for connectivity.
Two things to comment on here. Setup for a non-business phone is super easy, under 5 minutes, just FYI.

WiFi on mine works but only on networks that my phone has connected to before. So as an example I took just my watch to a particular restaurant, cell data. Went back and connected to WiFi with phone, then the next time I was there with just watch it logged into WiFi. Not sure the appropriate tech jargon but watch is kind of dumb / slave device and the phone does all the behind the scenes brain work.
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      11-01-2017, 09:05 AM   #14
frito_burrito
Banned
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

i have been debating getting one myself for a year or so mainly for tracking my sleep and for checking message importance when my phone isn't in my hand. haven't brought myself to do it yet but i wouldn't want my watch to have it's own phone number (maybe i read one of those last posts wrong)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #15
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito_burrito View Post
i have been debating getting one myself for a year or so mainly for tracking my sleep and for checking message importance when my phone isn't in my hand. haven't brought myself to do it yet but i wouldn't want my watch to have it's own phone number (maybe i read one of those last posts wrong)
It's the same number. It's basically like your house, two handsets same line, you can answer with whichever you wish.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #16
frito_burrito
Banned
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
It's the same number. It's basically like your house, two handsets same line, you can answer with whichever you wish.
thanks for the clarification
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #17
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Just like my M4 my Series 2 is a daily wearer ! Use it all the time for workouts more bike than running and besides a timepiece it gets used next most frequently for apple pay - use it all over the place and feels weird now when I for any reason am not wearing it when at a pay station! 3rd most use is a tie between acknowledging or responding to texts or adjusting music volume/selection.

For ref I went with a Series 1 when launched and after a week sent it back - faulty battery I suspect but Apple never really admitted as such but did refund. Waited for some time after Series 2 launch and enough feedback to warrant a second go and have to say overall quite happy - battery life is a full day plus, occasionally up to 2 days, in normal use - less than a day when used heavily in work outs.

PS: Not sure what Series 3 adds re fitness tracking but Series 2 is fairly comprehensive in this respect. That and the data you can potentially share with your Doc is an interesting potential upside.
      11-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #18
iconic
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm waiting until the Series 2 becomes cheaper
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #19
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconic View Post
I'm waiting until the Series 2 becomes cheaper
Right there with ya
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #20
iconic
Rep
Drives: M3

Funny, i own an iphone 8, macbook pro, ipod nano... but never got around to getting the Apple Watch! i guess you can only have so many Apple products...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 08:31 AM   #21
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Just got a series 3 for our anniversary the other day. I really had no interest in one, but now that I have it, I like it so far. Nice being able to glance at texts and emails without having to fish my phone out of my pocket. Next step is to get good wireless headphones so I can listen to music while on a walk without bringing my phone.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #22
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I have the original Apple Watch and it is still going strong. I like the idea of cellular connectivity so I will probably get one. The original one lasted longer than I thought it would.. still goes about 36 hours between charges.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0