BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-25-2019, 10:09 PM   #155
agzx517
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW G05

Ok , so I live in Miami and have had a pretty bad experience with my car and dealership (south motors BMW) I had a " rear seat restraint malfunction" please go to service center immediately yada , yada ,yada . I went to south motors. Need to replace module and update idrive . Went from .30 to .49. They has to order part , give me X3 with only 75 miles per day. I go over that easily , reason I chose to buy not lease. Part gets there late, told me my car is hooked up to hq and I can't get it back because they are uploading all new modules. Bullshit, I knew they couldn't take out the message after part replacement. Got car back finally after 2 weeks. Charges me 100 for gas and mileage overage. .49 is worse. So I took it back , updated idrive to .65, significantly better by the way. Yet , they scuffed up my brand new wrap and now I'm trying to get reimbursed for the $350 wrap they scuffed up. Thanks south motors. After all this. I love the way she drives, looks and feels. When idrive is working perfectly it's an excellent machine .peace
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 03:48 AM   #156
bavaria22
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
M50d is better imo
Diesel? Never again in this life!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 07:38 AM   #157
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavaria22 View Post
Why?
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #158
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavaria22 View Post
Same here. Hated my diesel F15. Traded it after less than a year and never looked back. Great torque but it sounded like driving a pig and the smell and hassle of filling up with diesel was never worth the couple extra mpgs, if they were even real.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:44 AM   #159
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Here in the US gasoline is still cheap and diesel is mostly for trucks and buses.

Unlike Europe, we don't get taxed on engine displacement or penalized at the pump for using petrol va diesel.

Diesel in private cars is mostly a personal choice and not borne out of necessity as elsewhere in the world.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:06 AM   #160
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Here in the US gasoline is still cheap and diesel is mostly for trucks and buses.

Unlike Europe, we don't get taxed on engine displacement or penalized at the pump for using petrol va diesel.

Diesel in private cars is mostly a personal choice and not borne out of necessity as elsewhere in the world.
Diesel is less than premium, at least where I live. I actually like the smell of it vs gas, maybe I'm weird? Having that abundance of torque would be nice for certain things
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:24 AM   #161
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzx517 View Post
Ok , so I live in Miami and have had a pretty bad experience with my car and dealership (south motors BMW) I had a " rear seat restraint malfunction" please go to service center immediately yada , yada ,yada . I went to south motors. Need to replace module and update idrive . Went from .30 to .49. They has to order part , give me X3 with only 75 miles per day. I go over that easily , reason I chose to buy not lease. Part gets there late, told me my car is hooked up to hq and I can't get it back because they are uploading all new modules. Bullshit, I knew they couldn't take out the message after part replacement. Got car back finally after 2 weeks. Charges me 100 for gas and mileage overage. .49 is worse. So I took it back , updated idrive to .65, significantly better by the way. Yet , they scuffed up my brand new wrap and now I'm trying to get reimbursed for the $350 wrap they scuffed up. Thanks south motors. After all this. I love the way she drives, looks and feels. When idrive is working perfectly it's an excellent machine .peace
I know a crappy dealer can ruin a vehicle. Sloppy work or any damage done while at the dealership is unforgivable. Glad to see the .65 is a improvement.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #162
Mightywabbit
Rep
Drives: X5 m50d f15 and g05 m50d

I am loving this thread....

I will just comment without citing any former posts assuming you’ve all read the thread...

IMO, the f15 m50d is a lot harder suspensionwise than the g05 M50d I extensively test-drove and ordered...

Diesel feels more....umph... more... meaty than a 40i, ie. and has so much power (and torque) that it seems bottomless...

The test car I had worked with everything I connected with seemless and perfect... CarPlay, remote app, idrive, everything...

The only really bad thing is waiting until August to get it..... wanted to stay out of beta testing.....
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #163
garo1943
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 x Drive40i

Software Problems?

Lane keeping assist is dangerous it jerks the car back in the lane. Talked to Genius and said I was the first person he has heard that from. I don't believe that is true. I finally turned off the steering intervention because it is unsafe has anyone else had that problem?

2019 X5 i40
Mineral White
Appreciate 3
      02-26-2019, 02:47 PM   #164
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo1943 View Post
Lane keeping assist is dangerous it jerks the car back in the lane. Talked to Genius and said I was the first person he has heard that from. I don't believe that is true. I finally turned off the steering intervention because it is unsafe has anyone else had that problem?
Try setting it to medium and see if that works better for you. As I believe it should, it will steer the car towards the center of the lane if you are leaving it but it can easily be counteracted by holding the wheel/steering in the opposite direction.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 04:27 PM   #165
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:

2019 X5 i40
Mineral White
Yes how about turning off the sensitive nanny and actually drive the car for once?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      02-26-2019, 05:38 PM   #166
ScotsWhaHaeWi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

2019 X5 i40
Mineral White
I'm with you 100%. One of my big original gripes. It's just too intrusive and aggressive and the settings don't seem to give much variability. It's an annoyance for me and downright dangerous for less confident drivers such as my wife. I just turned mine off and use the distance control in heavy traffic and feel like an idiot for spending gobs of cash on deadweight tech.

Hoping BMW gets serious about it soon. I think they will because there are too may other--actually every other--car manufacturers working hard on such tech.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 05:44 PM   #167
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangoose View Post
I don't see problem with it.
The first time you get your car, you are excited and everything is good. Once you calm down and start to use it, you discover the bad things about it.

I was excited when I got my F16, but once I discovered so many issues with it, I started to hate it. Every time I got into the car, my mood went down. After 8 months fight with BMW, they replaced it but the new car still had different problems. I was very disappointed with BMW and moved on.
I luv my 5th bmw. 4th being x6. I guess I got lucky, no issues so far.

pls share your pleasure with your new.
Appreciate 1
TurtleBoy12880.50
      02-26-2019, 05:50 PM   #168
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsWhaHaeWi View Post
So I've calmed down after a few days and I'm feeling less angry at the issues my brand new luxury German automobile was born with. Truthfully, I was pissed off after a long, annoying road trip, and some of the anger at the car was over the top. I've come to terms with the fact that there are design and execution issues that BMW is still working on. I have no patience for poor customer service and I'm not happy with spending $80k to get anything in beta, but I'm serene now, so here are my serene thoughts:

I'd spent the time on the trip trying to learn how to mesh with the driver assistance and really just fought with it the whole time. In my humble opinion, it's not good. Not well executed. My only comparison is with a Volvo V90 that I drove in the UK last year for a month. I really liked that system...not as aggressive, not as intrusive, and no sudden jerks of the wheel a la the G05. My G05 ping pongs on the open highway to the point of causing mild nausea. Imagine being in the car with a bad driver who wanders back and forth constantly "driving" the steering wheel. You'd relieve him of driving duties and show him how a steady driver stays steady. There are other issues with the AD, but all in all, I'm really not happy with it, especially remembering this is an 80k Bmw.

My anger was compounded by connectivity issues...wife's and my iPhone XS suddenly weren't connected, and wouldn't get reconnected until I stopped, switched off car for a few minutes and got restarted. This happened thrice in one day. Annoying.

The AC sucked on the trip and I was mad at that. I'm definitely eating crow on that one though, as I was taught by a kind hearted soul here that the setting for air mixture is now buried in the idrive. Problem solved, crow eaten. Tastes bad.

I really got torqued with genius and assist too. Calling to resolve connected app not working resulted in getting dismissed with a "wait 24-48 hrs, mm k? bye". Or got bounced from assist to genius, and vice versa. My 7th call I got a nice polite lady (her name was Ray) and in 10 seconds she had me update apps and bingo, connected app working.

I mentioned power was meh. That didn't sit well with some of the commentariat. Meh was too harsh a word. Apologies. I came out of my 50i F15 the day before, so anything less is plainly going to feel a bit meh. Since I'm still going easy on the car at this early mileage, I haven't thrashed to red line under sport +. But moving around in traffic under normal driving, it isn't that exciting. I regret not going with the 50i. Its torque is apparent no matter if it's being babied during a run in or not.

I made some comparisons to my daughters new Atlas. Sorry for blaspheming, but for $32k, she got a level of tech that was not terribly short of that in my G05. Assisted driving..check (and works about the same) Easy to use touchscreen and infotainment...check. And quite a smooth ride. Put it this way...after driving my G05, daughter and SIL were feeling really good about their Atlas purchase and I was feeling a bit vexed about my 2.5x more expensive G05 purchase.

The luxury seating package is not especially luxurious. Massage seats seemed glorious on my first day drive home, but on a trip they weren't that noticeable. Rear seats have some crinkling, like has been described in other threads.

I'm looking at replacing the Bridgestone a/s RFTs (20") with summer tires (non rft, I got the spare tire option) to improve the ride, which has (IMHO) got some harshness in it that wasn't as apparent in my F15 with pzeros.

Other things that contributed to my annoyance: BMW store not available, digital key not available with iPhone (according to genius who said forget it for now), Laser lights not being very noticeable despite the marketing.

To sum up, I'm wasn't particularly happy with have just bought a new vehicle that doesn't seems to be a much of an upgrade from my F15 in terms of ride, with plenty of tech teething issues, and questionable support. But my wife likes it (it's ostensibly hers anyway) and I'm not as churlish toward it as I was. I turned off most of the drivers assist functions and will hope for some good fixes.

BTW, I'm not a Russian bot or a Mercedes plant. Promise.

ty... many had issues with the ac on the F15. I agree, if i spend so much coin, you deliver product, I raise issues, you cannot will not resolve, I have limited time, deliver or I move on, Right on bro
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 07:46 PM   #169
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

2019 X5 i40
Mineral White
I agree but I changed the setting to reduced and it's much better. The other settings were really aggressive, fells like the devil was taking the wheel. .

The reduced setting seems like the sweet spot. So far been running that mode for a week.

You can also deactivate the steering intrusion and just crank up the wheel shake so you can still feel when you drift over the lines.

One tip is to program the individual safety settings so you can quickly switch with the circle button on the dash.
Appreciate 1
Mark609166.50
      02-27-2019, 03:41 PM   #170
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Yes how about turning off the sensitive nanny and actually drive the car for once?
This.
Appreciate 1
dubsesd6316.50
      06-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #171
redheadgirl
Registered
Rep
Drives: 19 X5 5.0,16 F15 3.5d, 08 535i

Quote:
Yes, I’ll be moving on. I admire the tolerance some on these forums have for what’s essentially some beta testing of a supremely expensive product. This forum is a fantastic wealth of knowledge from enthusiasts. But it’s likely not representative of the average BMW buyer and having to trawl through topics to find answers to things ought to be embarrassing to BMW.

The A/C issue surprised me. It’s never really an issue on modern cars and my previous BMWs have had fantastic AC. It was a pleasant 70ish day on the long drive and we found ourselves asking wtf is going on with this AC? Any other car we’ve had with auto AC we just set it to 69 (mid fan speed) and forget. This car we had it set down at 64/5 with high fan speed. It blew cold then. Almost like a calibration issue. On a 70 degree day, any modern auto AC should be barely audible and should cool very easily.
You have to go into the Ventilation settings to adjust the cooler or warmer air. Previous gen had the knob next to the vent that you can adjust but the G05 is digital so both driver and passenger settings probably aren't on the coolest fan setting. Your gripes mostly sound like end user issue because I just picked my car up and the BMW genius helped me setup my Connected Drive. Everything works fine. M Sport package with 21" rides better than my F15 M Sport Package with 20". (which does not have sport suspension). Maybe take some time to read the owner's manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 12:18 AM   #172
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

your 4.0 is supposed to be Audi SQ5 fast.. maybe faster. Put it in sport mode?

The leather seats are fine IMO. Try adjusting the lumbar.

The AC... go to settings and move it to maximum cold.

The Volvo interior is gorgeous I won't deny that. Touchscreen lags so it's not perfect.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #173
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Shame on me for not doing better homework and ordering one instead of buying one off the lot and driving the crap out of it before I bought.

Just got done with a 10 hour road trip on my new 40i and I'm sick to my stomach with buyers remorse. For close to 80 grand spent on an ostensibly luxury vehicle, I expect better. This is the 3rd X5 I've had. It's the last. In fact it's the last BMW.

I've now got the latest in vehicle engineering and design from a high end German company, that rides more harshly than my daughters new $32000 VW Atlas. An Atlas which, btw, has tech which is not too far off this X5 but seems to get the job done more effectively.

"Luxury" seats are less comfortable than my F15 seats on a trip. Massage is barely perceptible. Money waste.

Fought with getting things activated and working...hotspot, store, connected drive...none of it particularly smooth, some still not working, all requiring multiple calls to mostly unhelpful sorts. Genius?...not so much. They're mostly all quick to get you off the phone with a "let it sit for 24-48 hrs". WTF? After 9 phone calls and a bunch of blowing me off, one kind hearted Bmw assist person took 30 secs to walk me into updating apps and fixed a connected drive issue.

Don't bother with the active steering assist. It's a money waste. It's annoying and nausea inducing. At best, it wanders back and forth in the lane like a questionably sighted old lady, and fingers/hands get a bit sore with the constant resisting to keep it from undulating all the time. At worst it catches you by surprise and swerves violently away from imaginary crap making it an outright danger at times. Far more inferior in execution than the Volvo system I drove for a month in Europe last year. The BMW system is not good. Auto lane change works, but feels like an amateur has taken control and yanks the wheel over to the next lane then yanks its straight. It's laughable! Like a bunch of bad drivers designed the whole thing.

idrive...after getting a good chance to play with it on long trip, it's a bit less annoying than my old F15, but still pisses me off. Touchscreen seems nice, but it's TOO far away to easily reach! So end up just kind of not using it as it doesn't readily fall to hand. My RAM truck system is far and away superior to the idrive.

The A/C is weak. Fans have to be cranked to get it to cool to 69 on not even that hot of a day (70). And 69 feels hot. Had to make it 64 to be comfortable and then it was loud, like max AC.

They don't go out of their way to let you know the hotspot they so kindly included for 4 years is just the basic capability. You still have to pay lots to AT&T for the service. Really slick BMW.

Laser lights are a money waste. No better than the LEDs.

Power is meh.

I realized it bears too much ass-end similarity to the Rav4 I was sitting next to at a gas station.

All in all, I regret not just keeping my F15 and spotting up for a 4 year extended or waiting on the GLE at least.

When the new GLE hits the showrooms, I'm looking to trade this. Hopefully I can hold out 'til then. Otherwise I'll be looking harder at Audi, Porsche, R Rover. BMW will never again get money from me.
I was wondering if you ever resolved the Driver Assistance swerve problem. Thanks for any update.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #174
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

I had the exact same reactions to my dad's new cayenne S. X5 is so much better
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #175
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimster82 View Post
your 4.0 is supposed to be Audi SQ5 fast.. maybe faster. Put it in sport mode?

The leather seats are fine IMO. Try adjusting the lumbar.

The AC... go to settings and move it to maximum cold.

The Volvo interior is gorgeous I won't deny that. Touchscreen lags so it's not perfect.
Where are you getting your figures from? 4.0 0-60 5.5, SQ5 0-60 5.1
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #176
ScotsWhaHaeWi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
I was wondering if you ever resolved the Driver Assistance swerve problem. Thanks for any update.
I feel like it's got a bit better with update. But it also may be that I turned off all drivers intervention for lane keep. Never use it or any of the active stuff as it's very poorly executed.

For cruise I use the assisted driving on a really good highway, with good markings where it's pretty decent actually. When the markings aren't clean or new, or the surface has some older lines or some other kind of lines in the tarmac it can catch you by surprise. In that case I switch it to distance control only.

I still don't really care about this car like I did my previous BMWs. If a giant hail storm destroyed it tomorrow I'd be indifferent. Waiting to see what the next big update comes out of Tesla and they might get my business. Definitely done with BMWs.
Appreciate 0