BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

Paint Defects

Anyone had defective paint that had to be resprayed? I’ve got a series of cracks in the clear on my hood right in the center. I thought maybe after paint correction for the ceramic coating they would go away but they did not. They look like crazing you see in old porcelain glaze and can be felt with your fingers. I assume this can only be corrected by repainting the hood. I’m bringing it in Monday for this and hope BMW will not ignore it, but who knows. I figure I will have to pay out of pocket again for the ceramic coating that will no longer be on the hood if it gets repainted.

Also have a loose trim piece in the rear wheel well and a back set that does not go down with the seat release.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
Anyone had defective paint that had to be resprayed? I’ve got a series of cracks in the clear on my hood right in the center. I thought maybe after paint correction for the ceramic coating they would go away but they did not. They look like crazing you see in old porcelain glaze and can be felt with your fingers. I assume this can only be corrected by repainting the hood. I’m bringing it in Monday for this and hope BMW will not ignore it, but who knows. I figure I will have to pay out of pocket again for the ceramic coating that will no longer be on the hood if it gets repainted.

Also have a loose trim piece in the rear wheel well and a back set that does not go down with the seat release.
No.... have pictures?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB316 View Post
No.... have pictures?
I will post tomorrow after I wash it. It rains the day after I wash it no matter the forecast and it’s hard to see covered in spots which I got this past Monday after washing Sunday. I’m just hoping I can drive it into service before the skies open up.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 08:37 PM   #4
Pnazz
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 5.0

I don’t have any cracking but my paint has very light scratches almost like what you’d see from an automatic wash..but it has only been hand washed. Been that way since day 1
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 10:37 PM   #5
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

I had 2 chips that I noticed a day after I got the car ...I will need to get it professionally touched up. That's about it
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 12:45 AM   #6
TJ_BMW
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d/BMW M5 F90 Comp

Garage List
I have some minor paint flaking in some areas, such as the wheel arches.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 06:36 AM   #7
maczrool
Captain
Rep

I haven’t washed it yet but it does show in this pic pretty clearly. It's not scratches because they go in slightly different directions. If something abrasive was dragged across, the marks would all be at the same angles. These go in slightly different directions and don't have as well defined edges as a scratch.
Attached Images

Last edited by maczrool; 08-18-2019 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #8
maczrool
Captain
Rep

I took it in for service. The dealer claims it’s on the paint and not the paint itself. Since it was there before the ceramic was applied they say the detailer should fix it. Of course when I take it there, I’m sure I’ll be sent right back to the dealer. Also I was very adamant they not wash it and so of course they did exactly that. Not just the hood where my paint issue was but the whole car! They also treated me to a bunch of black stains on my seats from working on the release mechanisms. This place is so shitty it’s unbelievable. They are the only game in town so short of selling it or moving there is no way to avoid them. I really dread ever having to bring it back at this point. Just the worst!
Attached Images

Last edited by maczrool; 08-24-2019 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 01:18 PM   #9
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
I took it in for service. The dealer claims it’s on the paint and not the paint itself. Since it was there before the ceramic was applied they say the detailer should fix it. Of course when I take it there, I’m sure I’ll be sent right back to the dealer. Also I was very adamant they not wash it and so of course they did exactly that. Not just the hood where my paint issue was but the whole car! They also treated me to a bunch of black stains on my seats from working on the release mechanisms. This place is so shitty it’s unbelievable. They are the only game in town so short of selling it or moving there is no way to avoid them. I really dread ever having to bring it back at this point. Just the worst!
The detailer who applied the ceramic should have paint corrected the car first. That's why it's so expensive and takes typically 2+ days to get done. Your paint should have been perfect before the ceramic if not the detailer should of told you or should have fixed it as part of his scope. I would talk to your detail shop first and see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 01:29 PM   #10
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
The detailer who applied the ceramic should have paint corrected the car first. That's why it's so expensive and takes typically 2+ days to get done. Your paint should have been perfect before the ceramic if not the detailer should of told you or should have fixed it as part of his scope. I would talk to your detail shop first and see what they say.
Yes he was supposed to have paint corrected and I did point out the problem before he started and mine was more than most at $1500. I didn’t scrutinize that area when I picked it up, but if that damage goes all the way through the clear, no amount of correction will fix it. That’s what makes me think it’s a defect in the paint and not something on it. Will see what he says about it when I can get it over there.

I tried to attach the pics of my seats but they won’t load for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #11
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Yes he was supposed to have paint corrected and I did point out the problem before he started .
It looks like it may be a defect in the paint but if your detailer couldn't correct it he should have told you that, not apply ceramic over it.

So I think you have to lean on your detailer first to correct it. It looks like you already paid him to do the correction now he should make good on what he said he would do.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 02:15 PM   #12
rdrcontact
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
Quote:
Yes he was supposed to have paint corrected and I did point out the problem before he started .
It looks like it may be a defect in the paint but if your detailer couldn't correct it he should have told you that, not apply ceramic over it.

So I think you have to lean on your detailer first to correct it. It looks like you already paid him to do the correction now he should make good on what he said he would do.
^This. The detailer which applied ceramic coating on my X5 warned me that there could be paint imperfections which will need to be corrected before applying the coating. Luckily for me there were none. I think you that the best option for you is to point out the problem to the detailing shop, besides you pointed the problem that they should have corrected.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 06:05 AM   #13
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Update on this. The detailer was able to fix it with little effort. I’m not sure why it remained after his initial work but it’s gone now.

I did bring up my dirty seat issue with the SA. The only effect it seemed to have was that the forthcoming satisfaction survey miraculously disappeared.
Appreciate 0