BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-23-2019, 06:28 AM   #1
jammit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Please Vote - should I open my windows??

A month ago I was at the snow (yes - australia) in sub 0C conditions and opened 2 windows, which would not subsequently close. We had to drive down the mountain with open windows.

The dealer replaced both window mechanisms and raised a Puma case.
There are also other reports on this forum of similar window issues.
BMW won't tell me if there is a systemic manufacturing fault or the root cause, and will not replace the other 2 windows (until they fail).

Should I try opening the other 2 windows while I'm on the mountain again this weekend and it is below Zero? If they also fail, it will establish there is a manufacturing fault, but I'll be driving 5 hours with the windows unable to close.

Not happy to have a car with windows I can't trust.
What would you do?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 06:34 AM   #2
JL350
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0D X4

Did they replace the mechanisms with the same type or a different type? If the same type then what do you expect the new ones to do differently? Did they indicate why they failed, or what to do to avoid failure?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 06:55 AM   #3
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
The temperature shouldn’t really matter unless moisture was in the mechanism and somehow froze. Try opening them when you are in a normal climate and see if they close. You might want to do that a few times before you try the mountain experiment again.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

Regardless of moisture present, if parts aren’t designed to account for the contraction and change in rigidity and flexion tolerance that occurs with drops in temperature, then temperature could absolutely be a factor. Definitely better to find out while under warranty. I would open them. It’s not like the manual says do not operate while on mountains.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:11 AM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Just do what you would normally need to do and don't worry about it. If something goes wrong then it will be a pain but you can then get it fixed so it isn't on your mind very time you make a similar trip.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #6
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Definitely open them - better for them to break while under warranty. I would wait until the end of your trip though so you're not potentially driving with your window down is freezing weather. I would also open the windows that broke before. I can't imagine BMW wouldn't account for freezing temps in the R&D phase. This isn't their first ever car....
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 12:50 PM   #7
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Who wants a car you cant open the windows? Test them out and try to break them. Thats the whole point of the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

At least open one window. If there is a problem the only way you are going to get it fixed it to make it fail again.

I'd try driving with my window open to see if it fails for you but I live in Florida
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 02:03 AM   #9
jammit
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for all the responses - most of you are suggesting I try the windows but will need to be with sub zero temps. 5 hour drive with window down if they fail again
BMW advised the nylon gearing in the mechanism broke - but no explanation if replaced with identical part.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 06:41 AM   #10
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

It seems like the gear itself would not be the source of the problem, it would be the result of something else freezing which resulted in putting enough stress on the gear to break it.

Maybe enough moisture from melting snow got into the window tracks to jam up the pane. When we lived in New England sometimes doors and windows would freeze up in cold weather if the temperature was just right and the snow (or rain) melted then froze on the car.

Hopefully, you just hit exactly the right, unlikely, conditions for this to happen and it will never happen again.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 09:21 AM   #11
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Ford had a big issue last year with their F150 models where the drain tube in the control mechanism was blocked by sealant over squeezed out into it. It was a quick easy fix but was a swap of the whole unit if you take it to the dealer. Maybe something along those lines might be happening?

Moisture is inside the door because the metal parts sweat from the warmth inside the car after driving, that is why the car door has holes and will drain. The insulation is on the inner door side not the outer which is where the parts are located between. Just thought I'd add this part.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #12
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammit View Post
Should I try opening the other 2 windows while I'm on the mountain again this weekend and it is below Zero? If they also fail, it will establish there is a manufacturing fault, but I'll be driving 5 hours with the windows unable to close.

Not happy to have a car with windows I can't trust.
What would you do?
I would certainly test out their fix and open the windows. You kidding, you have to test it or it will drive you nuts never knowing. Plus, if they fail again, I would believe your dealer will look for a different solution. Do it man, do it!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 02:53 PM   #13
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
A month ago I was at the snow (yes - australia) in sub 0° C conditions and opened 2 windows, which would not subsequently close. We had to drive down the mountain with open windows.
I need more "detail" before voting...because I can't tell when you "opened" the windows in sub zero conditions if there was mechanical failure from the conditions...or if it was operator error from forcing frozen windows open. Which was it?

If you forced the windows opened when they were frozen and you had an indication at first press of the button that the windows were "stuck"...then I wouldn't worry that there's an issue with the windows that didn't have their "mechanisms" replaced. I'd just be cognizant that if their buttons are pressed to open and they don't start to go down...STOP the process immediately because forcing them to open when they are indicating in the 1st few seconds that they're stuck ...is not a good idea.

Ive had my windows not open during sub zero conditions when due to precipitation and sub zero conditions...the windows are frozen shut...and either need a longer period with a heated interior to thaw out...or to be parked in a warmer location to thaw out. But I NEVER try to force them open in this condition knowing that damage can occur to the regulators or motors. I just wait until I can get the vehicle in warmer condition to allow things to thaw.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-24-2019 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 09:14 AM   #14
jammit
Private First Class
Rep

Returned from the ski trip today and (un)fortunately temperatures were above zero. So was not able to test the windows in sub zero conditions.
All windows worked fine.
Unfortunately I will not get to try this again for another year now
I think the theory that moisture got into the internal mechanism then froze, is the most likely cause - although BMW has not provided any useful insight at all. If this is true, then all G05 would be susceptible in the right set of conditions - unless BMW has changed something.

Qsilver7 - when the windows failed, they were not iced up and they opened without any trouble. A 'crunching' sound was heard in the mechanism as soon as I tried closing them.

I am now left driving a car for another year without knowing if the windows will fail again.
I am tired of getting stonewalled by BMW with no root cause or explanation - honestly they seem to treat their customers like !@#$
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #15
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Qsilver7 - when the windows failed, they were not iced up and they opened without any trouble. A 'crunching' sound was heard in the mechanism as soon as I tried closing them.
Thanks for the additional info...it does paint a broader picture of the issue.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0