BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #23
12cylinders
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i xDrive

I just got mine and initially couldn't get it to work. For anyone having problems, here are some tips:

1. The physical Digital Key Card that comes with car is NOT the same as the Digital Key that can be associated with your Phone.
2. Currently, (August 2019) the iPhone is not compatible with the Digital Key that gets associated with your phone. I believe only Samsung phones are compatible.
3. Physical Digital Key Card must be activated:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6c0mIt4mqK2mky
4. Not sure if this is a requirement or not, but mine started working after linking the card to a profile as someone described above:

5. I had to physically touch the card to the very CENTER of the driver's door handle. It would not work at all if the card was anywhere else.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 09:30 PM   #24
thomas_Rp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05; 535 F10

I am wondering if there is any other way to activate the NFC key card. My dealership said they have activated the NFC key card at the dealership and will be shipping it to me even though the G05 is at my house. I am not sure if I am being given the runaround.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 09:34 PM   #25
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_Rp View Post
I am wondering if there is any other way to activate the NFC key card. My dealership said they have activated the NFC key card at the dealership and will be shipping it to me even though the G05 is at my house. I am not sure if I am being given the runaround.
There might multiple similar terms in play for different underlying action: activated, linked to car, linked to profile, etc. The cards are tied to your VIN and this binding is what the dealer may be referring to. When received, you still have to link the card to the car in the car — another binding. And then to a profile — another binding.
      08-16-2019, 09:37 PM   #26
12cylinders
Rep

Has anyone been able to active and pair two key cards to one vehicle?

Initially, I paired the keycard that came with the car to my wife’s profile and that seemed to work correctly.

I then ordered a second key card for myself, activated it, and then tried to pair it to my profile. That didn’t work, until some mysterious combination of locking, unlocking, tied the new card to my profile.

So, now the new card is paired to my profile, but the original key card that came with the car seems totally dead. I can’t get it to work at all.

Anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 09:56 PM   #27
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

^ Only one key card can be active at a time. Multiple digital keys on phones will work however.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 02:38 AM   #28
12cylinders
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
^ Only one key card can be active at a time. Multiple digital keys on phones will work however.
Thanks, that’s what I was beginning to suspect. I looked in the manual, but didn’t see anything about that. Where did you get this information from?

I hope I can return this extra key to BMW...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 08:35 AM   #29
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12cylinders View Post
Thanks, that’s what I was beginning to suspect. I looked in the manual, but didn’t see anything about that. Where did you get this information from?

I hope I can return this extra key to BMW...
From some previous discussions that we had on here when the keycards were made available for those that didn’t get one in the early builds. Someone tried to order two and was told by BMW only one ata time. I think someone posted a doc showing that but am not sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 08:50 AM   #30
12cylinders
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
From some previous discussions that we had on here when the keycards were made available for those that didn’t get one in the early builds. Someone tried to order two and was told by BMW only one ata time. I think someone posted a doc showing that but am not sure.
I wish they had told me that when I ordered it. I specifically said, I wanted a second card.

Can the keycard be used with another car or are they coded to the VIN? Is it feasible to return to the dealer? The logical answer would be "ask your dealer," but they seem less informed about this feature than the folks on here.

The digital key and digital key card feature is pretty confusing and poorly documented.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #31
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Yes, they should have told you since when it was programmed it should have shown the VIN was already tied to another card. As far as I know it should be able to be returned but you will need to get them to program your original card to work again I believe.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #32
jcochems
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i, 430i Convertible

Quote:
I just got mine and initially couldn't get it to work. For anyone having problems, here are some tips:

1. The physical Digital Key Card that comes with car is NOT the same as the Digital Key that can be associated with your Phone.
2. Currently, (August 2019) the iPhone is not compatible with the Digital Key that gets associated with your phone. I believe only Samsung phones are compatible.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6c0mIt4mqK2mky
4. Not sure if this is a requirement or not, but mine started working after linking the card to a profile as someone described above:

5. I had to physically touch the card to the very CENTER of the driver's door handle. It would not work at all if the card was anywhere else.
I don't understand this. If I go into those settings and choose "with Digital key" option, aren't I in effect then disabling my X5 from recognizing me whenever I am using just the actual keyfob/remote control which would be 99.99 percent of the time, with the Digital Key just sitting in a wallet for emergency purposes only (aka don't have the keyfob)?

I seem to be having the same problem as others. The Digital Key does not seem to work to unlock the driver door. Did not even try to start the vehicle with the card since it failed to unlock the door I assumed it was completely not working. Not the Profile setting above, but I did confirm in the "Settings > Doors/Access > BMW Digital Key", I have the Digital Key checkbox enabled. Just setting the card in the tray had no affect at all as that Youtube video shows.

UPDATE:
Just confirmed the Digital Card does START my X5, but definitely will not unlock or lock the driver door. I tried holding/touching the card to every possible point of contact on and around the door handle (tried just tapping thinking it would unlock, and tied pulling handle while holding card to handle).

Thanks
JC

Last edited by jcochems; 08-24-2019 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 08:04 PM   #33
martinf79
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcochems View Post
Quote:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&u act=8&ved=2ahUKEwiow7z8svnjAhXUWM0KHbvOBOAQwqsBMAR 6BAgIEAo&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch %3Fv%3DYuowduqOau4&usg=AOvVaw2T6Q4FuF6c0mIt4mqK2mk y

I don't understand this. If I go into those settings and choose "with Digital key" option, aren't I in effect then disabling my X5 from recognizing me whenever I am using just the actual keyfob/remote control which would be 99.99 percent of the time, with the Digital Key just sitting in a wallet for emergency purposes only (aka don't have the keyfob)?

I seem to be having the same problem as others. The Digital Key does not seem to work to unlock the driver door. Did not even try to start the vehicle with the card since it failed to unlock the door I assumed it was completely not working. Not the Profile setting above, but I did confirm in the "Settings > Doors/Access > BMW Digital Key", I have the Digital Key checkbox enabled. Just setting the card in the tray had no affect at all as that Youtube video shows.

UPDATE:
Just confirmed the Digital Card does START my X5, but definitely will not unlock or lock the driver door. I tried holding/touching the card to every possible point of contact on and around the door handle (tried just tapping thinking it would unlock, and tied pulling handle while holding card to handle).

Thanks
JC
Just received my M50i. I'm assuming support for the iPhone is still not available?
      11-09-2019, 11:02 PM   #34
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

No. Not yet available.
Appreciate 0