BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-24-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Luggage Compartment Package

I chose the luggage compartment package because I wanted the cover that automatically closed. Long after the build was locked down, I saw that the flap that covers the place that stores the cover looked like it, in effect, chopped eight inches off the back of the trunk area. Oops

Now that I've got a chance to use it I found that it doesn't chop off the trunk at all. When you open the hatch the cover rolls up right behind the back of the top of the second seat just like the manual one does. So I can pack things right up to the backside of the second seat, and the automatic cover works fine.

The only time that flap in the floor opens is when you stow away the cover. There is a separate button on the side of the trunk to do that. Then you do have to move things away from that cover.

But if you had the manual cover, you would have to lift the floor to stow it away. So you have nothing to lose by getting the luggage compartment option, but you do gain some convenience.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
I chose the luggage compartment package because I wanted the cover that automatically closed. Long after the build was locked down, I saw that the flap that covers the place that stores the cover looked like it, in effect, chopped eight inches off the back of the trunk area. Oops

Now that I've got a chance to use it I found that it doesn't chop off the trunk at all. When you open the hatch the cover rolls up right behind the back of the top of the second seat just like the manual one does. So I can pack things right up to the backside of the second seat, and the automatic cover works fine.

The only time that flap in the floor opens is when you stow away the cover. There is a separate button on the side of the trunk to do that. Then you do have to move things away from that cover.

But if you had the manual cover, you would have to lift the floor to stow it away. So you have nothing to lose by getting the luggage compartment option, but you do gain some convenience.
Personally, I like this auto cargo cover and I use my manual cargo cover constantly so it would hardly ever be stowed and when stowing it, I "think" I would rather pull junk in the cargo area forward to allow the trap door to open rather than to take stuff out of the cargo area in order to more fully open the rear part of the floor to stow the manual cover.

The only issue I can see is.....reliability. Not much can go wrong with the manual version but the auto version is a diff story and I'm not entirely sure I like the cargo floor with the strips that move up and down to try and keep things from being tossed around on the floor. What's your take on that?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #3
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
I'm not entirely sure I like the cargo floor with the strips that move up and down to try and keep things from being tossed around on the floor. What's your take on that?
Yup, when there are more motors there are more things to go wrong. Overall though it looks to be a pretty straight forward design. If something gets in the way of the cover closing, the cover is designed to jump out of its track rather than break something. Easy to put back in.

The strips on the floor work great on boxes that are big enough to reach across at least two of them. They do move up and down, but by so little, it's hard to see. When you open the trunk they go down and make it easy to slide boxes on the metal strips. Close the trunk and the rubber strips move up just enough to grip the boxes so they don't move.

I have one of those folding boxes, that I got on Amazon, which has sections in it, in the trunk. That's where I put loose items. The rubber strips do a good job of holding it.

The rubber strips don't hold things like bags of groceries in place though. The Luggage Package includes a cargo net that goes across the tail of the trunk that you can put loose items into.

Overall I'm really glad I got the Luggage Package; I hope it doesn't break
Appreciate 1