07-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #45
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by all8up View Post
I believe I mentioned sprinters and not marathoners....

Well if you are able to point that out, I'm certain you have recognized the merits of HIT type of training and how it is now the preferred method to efficiently lose fat.

Let's consider the OP goals for a moment. He indicated he is plenty strong by his accounts and has difficulty in seeing his muscle...do you believe the same pattern of weightlifting will remove the fat from his body? Yes, you bring up very valid points on other contributing factors such as stress and nutrition and those also need to be factored in, but in my experience it is easier to get someone to address training then dieting/lifestyle.
I'm a proponent of high intensity, short duration cardiovascular training as it creates an anabolic response. I only use such a strategy for stable individuals (stability before mobility). Long duration cardiovascular exercise isn't necessary in my opinion unless you are training for an endurance event.

When looking to get lean, you need to be in a caloric deficit and lift heavy loads in a periodized program to maintain muscle mass. You cannot outtrain a shitty diet and lifestyle. Health and good body composition is a multi-pronged endeavor - diet, rest, hydration, exercise, stress reduction, supplementation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
Building mass and increasing definition really can't be used in the same sentence.
Gaining mass and cutting can happen at the same time. Carb cycling codex is the best way for it to be done in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #46
all8up
Ironchef
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 C

Garage List
2022 M4 C  [0.00]
Well given his age, he could get away with a less than ideal diet. When I was in college I ate nearly 6k cals, tons of partying, and not much sleep and I was able to maintain 5% bf with a decent amount of muscle. But…I ran for the school so I was on a strength training program along with tons of running. Needless to say there is no way I could get away with it at age 32. Let the kid enjoy his youth a little
07 E90 335, UR Exh, Helix IC, Bav Sport Coils, iForged Swift- sold
E46 M3 - gone and always missed
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #47
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

If you are a hard-gainer, you actually want to eat as much as you possibly can. But if you are already heavy, you want to get rid of the fat first.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #48
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 Comp

I guess i'll ask here...

to lose weight, would running on treadmill for 60 minutes and eating 'healthy' be sufficient enough? i know muscle makes your metabolism speed up which in turn makes you loose more weight but my specific point is just hitting the treadmil for 60mins at a fast rate
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 01:49 AM   #49
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

OP, you should focus on getting your lower body up to speed.

www.stronglifts.com

It's going quite well for me so far.

Download the e-book for free (has all the answers to any questions you can think of lol):
http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-ebook-download/
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 03:19 AM   #50
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC///M3 View Post
thanks for all the input guys!!!

I think I do need to start incorporating a little bit more cardio into the workout.....i dont do much to begin with on a weekly basis.
I've read in a few articles that doing cardio after a workout can completely negate everything you just did with weights...any of you guys hear that?

I do think I need to dedicate one full workout session to cardio, then leave the other days to lifting. Either way...I usually workout on a weekly basis:
Day 1: Chest/Triceps
Day 2: Back/Biceps
Day 3: Off
Day 4: Shoulders/Legs (will now start incorporating squats!)
Day 5: Biceps/Triceps*
Day 6: Off
Day 7: Chest

*I try an substitute a muscle group that varies each week, so each week I'm working out a group of muscles twice.

That look good to you guys....my working it too much???
Here's my take:
1. You are over-training. Post up your routine for each day as it stands right now.
2. Try changing your workout. Chest/Bi's, Legs, Shoulders/Tri's, Back. In that order, but give yourself 1/2 days off between legs and back. You do legs heavy/intense enough, you should want to go home and just sleep. Same with back. You can do 2 on/2 off, etc, depending on how you feel.
3. Change your reps per exercise every week/few weeks. Muscle confusion.
4. Stick to the basic exercises. Compound presses, the big 3 (bench, squat, deadlift), etc. Skip the fancy crap like cable work for now.
5. At your age, I didn't squat/deadlift much either. BIG mistake. As others have said, leg work releases the most HGH. Start working legs, watch them grow, watch the rest of your body grow, watch your strength in all the other exercises grow.
6. Eat healthy, and a LOT. You're relatively young and need the protein to grow.
      07-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #51
johnnymu
Warranty Killer
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: Nike shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtac View Post
I guess i'll ask here...

to lose weight, would running on treadmill for 60 minutes and eating 'healthy' be sufficient enough? i know muscle makes your metabolism speed up which in turn makes you loose more weight but my specific point is just hitting the treadmil for 60mins at a fast rate
Figure out how much calories you burn in one day and do the simple math. 3500 calories = 1lb of fat. so if you burn lets say 3000 calories in 24 hours and eat 500 calories less each day you should lose 1lbs in one week. That's the basic science of it. It can get more complicated, but that the simple version. Jogging is actually better for losing weight than sprinting hard.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #52
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymu View Post
Figure out how much calories you burn in one day and do the simple math. 3500 calories = 1lb of fat. so if you burn lets say 3000 calories in 24 hours and eat 500 calories less each day you should lose 1lbs in one week. That's the basic science of it. It can get more complicated, but that the simple version. Jogging is actually better for losing weight than sprinting hard.

I know you burn calories doing daily things without actually working out ie sleeping, but to burn 3000 calories, thats very hard. I think i read like 60mins on a treadmill going 3-4mph burns only like 300 calories if that.

I wish there was a better way to figure out how many calories you burn, some of the formulas ive seen do not take into account so many things different to each person.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #53
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
OP, you should focus on getting your lower body up to speed.

www.stronglifts.com

It's going quite well for me so far.

Download the e-book for free (has all the answers to any questions you can think of lol):
http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-ebook-download/
I am already doing 5x5 but I'm going to give this a shot; thanks
      07-12-2009, 11:33 PM   #54
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

I know it may seem a bit odd, but even at your level, I think p90x can help if you can stick with the program.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 01:14 AM   #55
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
I am already doing 5x5 but I'm going to give this a shot; thanks
No worries. Cool thing about it is that you're adding 5lbs each time you do the workout. Makes it challenging (especially when you get up there in weight) and it also gets you excited and looking forward to your next workout.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 01:29 AM   #56
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Doug, can I say your sig is the funniest one I've read tonight
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 06:51 AM   #57
johnnymu
Warranty Killer
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: Nike shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtac View Post
I know you burn calories doing daily things without actually working out ie sleeping, but to burn 3000 calories, thats very hard. I think i read like 60mins on a treadmill going 3-4mph burns only like 300 calories if that.

I wish there was a better way to figure out how many calories you burn, some of the formulas ive seen do not take into account so many things different to each person.
The easiest way is use a heart rate monitor and monitor yourself for 24 hours. In 60 min treadmill you should burn 500 calories at speed 5, that's at least what I burn. You say it's hard to burn 3000 calories? It's not as hard as you think just giving you an example I burn 100 calories an hour just from my sleep, so if I slept in one day I burn 2400 calories alone. Just make sure you eat enough and monitor intake and you'll lose the weight.

Appreciate 0