BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #67
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
As has been mentioned before, this discussion without precision is pretty useless. I am sure TurtleBoy will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe we each need to mention the following specific attributes when asking or commenting on these related issues:

- N/AB: cross traffic notifications vs auto-braking
- F/R: front vs rear
- SPD: speed range of parking/slow, city/medium, highway/fast
- DIST: distance to trigger object
- MODE: current wide angle camera selection mode of: none, front, rear
- EQUIP: car equipment
- GEO: world region

Without all of above, every related comment seems like jibber jabber.
Exactly. Without specifics we might as well be discussing the upcoming College Football season since it would be just as useful and perhaps less confusing. Then again it wouldn't make all of our discussions here on this and other topics nearly as interesting/frustrating/etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 07:09 AM   #68
sdfischer
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 and 2018 540i

For the first time ever (in a fairly close call backing situation) saw a subtle blurry red blotch at the bottom corner of the screen. Hardly attention getting! The setting states "visual and acoustic". There was no sound. That would certainly help! Anyone getting "acoustic"??
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 07:22 AM   #69
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfischer View Post
For the first time ever (in a fairly close call backing situation) saw a subtle blurry red blotch at the bottom corner of the screen. Hardly attention getting! The setting states "visual and acoustic". There was no sound. That would certainly help! Anyone getting "acoustic"??
Yes it's a higher pitch gong than the PDC and I have missed it as it's not very loud or different to the usual noises.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 07:52 AM   #70
sdfischer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
Yes it's a higher pitch gong than the PDC and I have missed it as it's not very loud or different to the usual noises.
Thanks! I'll continue to poke at it!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 08:45 AM   #71
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
Thanks! I'll continue to poke at it!
It would be nice to have something very distinctive a bit like a aircraft "pull up" attention getter.

Maybe...

"CROSS TRAFFIC"

or

"OH SH*T"
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2019, 10:55 AM   #72
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Mine worked yesterday for the first time. You must actually be moving. If you are sitting still waiting, it won’t alert. I was pulling out of a driveway with cars approaching in both directions. I saw them but was rolling slowly when the alert fired.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 06:12 PM   #73
Therealmatzaman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

Just returned from my first service, they upgraded me to 7.2019.39 and while I have Cross traffic checked, it says there’s an alert that its somehow disabled.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 08:20 AM   #74
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
LexxM3. you are a good forum buddy. I guess the software is buggy and inconsistent which has me questioning if some of safety features are also inconsistent from vehicle to vehicle.

I love the X5. I think its looks great and its an amazing ride. I loaded her up so I had a high expectation of the X5. A lot of the features I don't have I tell people about them and they are wowed. I'm just glad no one has asked me to show them.

Anyway, she is going in tomorrow to get a rim repaired, driver Seat Cover replaced, rattle in the door fixed and a number of technical issues noted. I also think the Ambient Air doesn't work and I've checked the fragrance box. Actually the more I type, the more I realize what a waste of money theses options are. I probably could have saved myself a bunch of money in going with the Premium package versus the Excellence package. The only two options I've used and like very much are the massaging seats and the Luggage Compartment Pkg.
So you bought the luggage compartment package, eh? Can you comment on its pros and cons? Have you ever had something heavy sitting on the little door when you pushed the button to raise the cover out from under the floor? Just wondering how robust the whole thing is.
No issues if something blocks it. I like the auto feature when the truck is open, it slides back and when you close the truck it comes back across concealing the cargo area. It's great when you have some large unexpected purchases (Costco) and with a press of a button the cover is gone. This options offers a lot of convenience.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 2
Paladin15513.50
      07-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #75
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
No issues if something blocks it. I like the auto feature when the truck is open, it slides back and when you close the truck it comes back across concealing the cargo area. It's great when you have some large unexpected purchases (Costco) and with a press of a button the cover is gone. This options offers a lot of convenience.
Yeah, it's working well. We really like it.
And it's also a great feature to amaze your friends.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #76
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Yeah, it's working well. We really like it.
And it's also a great feature to amaze your friends.
Last question on the auto cargo cover pkg since we're hijacking this thread topic.. .. . if you have a heavy box on top of the cargo floor door and someone presses the button to raise the cover from under the floor without realizing there's a heavy box on top of the cargo floor door, what happens?
- Will the cover sense it cannot open and simply stop?
- Does it give you some sort of error msg like flashing the button light?
- Will it continue to try till the cargo floor door motor burns up?
- Do you hear any sort of clicking or buzzing that would indicate its still trying to open the door but can't?
- Etc

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 12:24 PM   #77
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
if you have a heavy box on top of the cargo floor door and someone presses the button to raise the cover from under the floor without realizing there's a heavy box on top of the cargo floor door, what happens?
According to the manual:
"Items in the range of movement are detected.
The cargo cover stops automatically to prevent damage."

For the soft cover, it would disengage from the mount if there are obstacles when closing. You need to manually close the cover until it engages back in the mounting to restore function.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 12:30 PM   #78
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
According to the manual:
"Items in the range of movement are detected.
The cargo cover stops automatically to prevent damage."

For the soft cover, it would disengage from the mount if there are obstacles when closing. You need to manually close the cover until it engages back in the mounting to restore function.
Right, I read that in the manual but my thoughts were that it all referenced the soft cover and not the cargo cover door. In fact someone posted a while back and said their soft cover had become unattached and no longer moved. They did what the manual said and it worked.

I can't imagine anyone would design a feature like this without some sort of safety cutoff for the cargo floor door too but was looking for verification. If you ever become brave enough to try, let me know
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #79
alexder
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lexus GX 460

It seems last the last several posts are off topic.
Therealmatzaman: so your rear cross traffic is not working, and the dealer could not fix it?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 03:08 PM   #80
sdfischer
Rep

Service appt Wednesday. Will report.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 05:09 PM   #81
Therealmatzaman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

They scheduled my follow up for this Friday. Which kinda sucks bc if they didn’t fix it I prob have to wait another week to complain.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 02:04 PM   #82
sdfischer
Rep

Quote:
Service appt Wednesday. Will report.
Service concludes that they are working. My wife insists we sell the two week old car (seriously!) because the whole idea was safety in the first place. I'm not confident that this would prevent at least a near collision and I don't want to continue to scare my neighbors as I back into them so I guess we will leave the BMW family. Germany I hope you are listening!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 04:31 PM   #83
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Service concludes that they are working. My wife insists we sell the two week old car (seriously!) because the whole idea was safety in the first place. I'm not confident that this would prevent at least a near collision and I don't want to continue to scare my neighbors as I back into them so I guess we will leave the BMW family. Germany I hope you are listening!!!!!!
Have you tried using the Panaroma camera view?
I think that's the best while backing up - real time visual is much better and safer than relying on any safety alert system. I use it every time, even though my cross traffic alert is working.

It shows everything at the back, 180 view, and the cross traffic alert would actually show as flashing red border on the side of the incoming traffic.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 05:48 PM   #84
sdfischer
Rep

Quote:
Have you tried using the Panaroma camera view?
I think that's the best while backing up - real time visual is much better and safer than relying on any safety alert system. I use it every time, even though my cross traffic alert is working.

It shows everything at the back, 180 view, and the cross traffic alert would actually show as flashing red border on the side of the incoming traffic.
Thanks. Sounds like a good substitute until they fix it but I think Panorama is only available for front?? My wife just reminded me that on one X5 we tested (but did not buy) the alert worked fine. So frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 06:12 PM   #85
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Sounds like a good substitute until they fix it but I think Panorama is only available for front??
It's available both front and rear; it will change according to your gear selection.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 09:17 PM   #86
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. Sounds like a good substitute until they fix it but I think Panorama is only available for front??
It's available both front and rear; it will change according to your gear selection.
Ha ha ha, LOL, that's a good one. Changing based on a gear selection would be logical, BMW will have none of that kind of nonsense. They'll change when they bloody well feel like it and you'll like it.

Sarcasm aside, you might notice that I have big beef with X5 idiotic/defective design camera handling "algorithms" and bugs.
      08-02-2019, 06:13 AM   #87
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ha ha ha, LOL, that's a good one. Changing based on a gear selection would be logical, BMW will have none of that kind of nonsense. They'll change when they bloody well feel like it and you'll like it.
Sarcasm aside, you might notice that I have big beef with X5 idiotic/defective design camera handling "algorithms" and bugs.
In that case, you should be happy to know that there is no such bug for the panaroma view - it will always display the correct camera.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 07:07 AM   #88
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
In that case, you should be happy to know that there is no such bug for the panaroma view - it will always display the correct camera.
Please demonstrate what you mean. A clear precise example of the system reliably, predictably and repeatably behaving as you describe. For example, showing the video of the correct camera being reliably switched on and front to back with gear shift. I will then attempt to reproduce and either demonstrate a set of bugs for your specific use case or eat crow.

Anything else is a waste of time and breath as I've documented on video multiple idiotic camera switching/handling bugs elsewhere on the forum (and I haven't even posted all of them), you can search for them.