08-16-2019, 08:48 AM   #111
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfischer View Post
Extremely disappointing! I was told the next one after .45 should do it.
I know... I literally drove to a Thai restaurant to grab some takeout on my way home from the dealership and they have a sketchy takeout only lot that has a "blind exit".

I'm coming from an Infiniti Q50 Red Sport from a few weeks ago that would slam on the brakes so hard when cross traffic was detected the belt would almost choke you.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2019, 09:09 PM   #112
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

So today my rear cross traffic monitor worked first time in three weeks of ownership. I kept tempting it to alarm all this time and today I was simply backing out on a busy street with steady traffic. It was much like an act of desperation to finally prove that it’s broken but no, it’s there and it works. So everyone out there who came from Acura’s, Nissans, Lexuses (except small percentage of legitimately broken instances) cross traffic monitor feature does work in BMW X5 2019-20, it’s just not calibrated as early as in all other cars. So when I am backing out of my driveway and I know my Acura used to go crazy over some lone car approaching from way out, well your new BMW is not going to behave exactly like that. Now what I don’t like about all this - you should have a say in setting it up early, just like the way many people here (including me) used to. I HOPE YOU ARE READING THIS BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 09:33 PM   #113
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfischer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
Late build '19 here fully loaded, just got it back from the dealer and instead of going from 3/2019.35 to the July upgrade they put me at 3/2019.90. Cross traffic still isn't working.
Extremely disappointing! I was told the next one after .45 should do it.
That's a joke in firmware circles you know... "we plan to address that in the next release," only to have the issue deprioritized under something "more pressing."
      08-17-2019, 10:43 PM   #114
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
I've been wondering if any of the driver safety systems are affected by the choice of current drive mode? Like for example, front collision detection is biased to later in Sport or Sport Plus. Driving modes do affect a number of other driving parameters, why not safety systems that BMW engineers (correctly or not) would consider to be too intrusive in Sport.

It occurred to me to think about this when I tailgated (for science :-)) a left lane bandit in Sport Plus + S shift today and had no warning at approach speeds and distances that I believe I've had triggers before in Comfort.

Anyone notice any such correlations?
      08-18-2019, 09:31 AM   #115
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
I know... I literally drove to a Thai restaurant to grab some takeout on my way home from the dealership and they have a sketchy takeout only lot that has a "blind exit".
I still feel that for this type of "blind exit" or situations where your vision is blocked, panorama camera view is the way to go. Cross traffic alert is a backup safety system, and should not be used as a primary way of checking traffic in a "blind exit"
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 11:21 AM   #116
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
I still feel that for this type of "blind exit" or situations where your vision is blocked, panorama camera view is the way to go. Cross traffic alert is a backup safety system, and should not be used as a primary way of checking traffic in a "blind exit"
This feature also works for the front same way as it works for backing up and kicks in when front camera is engaged.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #117
TallyGator2002
Rep
Drives: 2017 GMC Yukon Denali

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
I feel that this is just a really, REALLY bad implementation of the cross traffic alert safety system. I currently have a Yukon Denali with this feature, had a Jeep Grand Cherokee with it, Mom has an Escalade with it, my Jag has it and my friend has an Infiniti with the cross traffic alert. All of them you can be sitting still in a parking spot or at the end of your driveway, etc. and if a car is coming from either direction (outside of your visibility of course since you're still in a parking spot) it will sound an audible warning as well as a warning on the screen indicating something is coming and from which direction. This is also automatic when put in reverse without having to activate any cameras or push any buttons. I don't know why BMW is having such a hard time with this concept...very disappointing in a high dollar luxury car no less (that should be a step above a Jeep or a GMC). Surely this is not really how they INTENDED it to work...
Appreciate 2
LexxM31697.50
      08-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #118
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyGator2002 View Post
I feel that this is just a really, REALLY bad implementation of the cross traffic alert safety system. I currently have a Yukon Denali with this feature, had a Jeep Grand Cherokee with it, Mom has an Escalade with it, my Jag has it and my friend has an Infiniti with the cross traffic alert. All of them you can be sitting still in a parking spot or at the end of your driveway, etc. and if a car is coming from either direction (outside of your visibility of course since you're still in a parking spot) it will sound an audible warning as well as a warning on the screen indicating something is coming and from which direction. This is also automatic when put in reverse without having to activate any cameras or push any buttons. I don't know why BMW is having such a hard time with this concept...very disappointing in a high dollar luxury car no less (that should be a step above a Jeep or a GMC). Surely this is not really how they INTENDED it to work...
Your descriptions on your cars is exactly how it should work!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 12:52 PM   #119
alexder
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lexus GX 460

My Lexus GX rear cross traffic works exactly as TallyGator2002 described. It's very useful and I can't imagine buying a new car that does not have this system. On the X5s and X7s I test drove that system simply didn't work at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 01:40 PM   #120
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Your descriptions on your cars is exactly how it should work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexder View Post
My Lexus GX rear cross traffic works exactly as TallyGator2002 described. It's very useful and I can't imagine buying a new car that does not have this system. On the X5s and X7s I test drove that system simply didn't work at all.
While I don't exactly like BMW's implementation of this feature (or I'd rather say it did not grow on me yet), to be fair it still works, just a bit later than other car manufacturers have it. There is no necessarily a right or wrong here, we just happen to get used to how it works with other brands. You know, when I was buying my prior MDX and this feature was new then, it was the first thing their Sales person demonstrated to me pushing the car sale. My impression this was more of a sales gimmick rather than true safety feature in their early stages. I think BMW is "trying" to take a more thoughtful approach here, not to let all kinds of alarms annoy you, considering it's not exactly a "soccer mom" kind of car (no offence to any "soccer mom" here just trying to use this term more as a figure of speach) so this alarm is only going off the leash in a true danger situation. It was not designed to alarm you whenever "any" car approaching in a cross traffic situation, but only when it becomes a real risk of collision. Having said all this, I still EXPECT BMW TO HONOR DRIVER'S CHOICES AND THIS FEATURE TO BE CONFIGURABLE TO ALARM YOU EARLY, JUST LIKE OTHER CAR MANUFACTURERS HAVE IT!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 01:46 PM   #121
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
... Having said all this, I still EXPECT BMW TO HONOR DRIVER'S CHOICES AND THIS FEATURE TO BE CONFIGURABLE TO ALARM YOU EARLY, JUST LIKE OTHER CAR MANUFACTURERS HAVE IT!
Yes, individual choice with safe/rational defaults is the right UX approach here. There are plenty of early/normal/late configurations for other assists, why not this? It's seemingly likely a design process problem, no consistency in UX (first principle of UX: be consistent).
      08-19-2019, 07:24 AM   #122
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 Mineral White X5MC

Cross Traffic Alert - Is yours working?

After a Yukon XL Denali I had as a rental on a business trip the past two weeks, I really appreciate the BMW system. It alerts in levels (flash red in direction of potential problem, acute warning if dangerous) and only when moving. The Denali system is vibrating the seat, beeping, flashing yellow or red alarms on the screen when you just put it in reverse without moving. It annoyed everyone who drove it.

However, that being said there should be user selectable levels like the rest of the assistant systems.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #123
sdfischer
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 and 2018 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
While I don't exactly like BMW's implementation of this feature (or I'd rather say it did not grow on me yet), to be fair it still works, just a bit later than other car manufacturers have it. There is no necessarily a right or wrong here, we just happen to get used to how it works with other brands. You know, when I was buying my prior MDX and this feature was new then, it was the first thing their Sales person demonstrated to me pushing the car sale. My impression this was more of a sales gimmick rather than true safety feature in their early stages. I think BMW is "trying" to take a more thoughtful approach here, not to let all kinds of alarms annoy you, considering it's not exactly a "soccer mom" kind of car (no offence to any "soccer mom" here just trying to use this term more as a figure of speach) so this alarm is only going off the leash in a true danger situation. It was not designed to alarm you whenever "any" car approaching in a cross traffic situation, but only when it becomes a real risk of collision. Having said all this, I still EXPECT BMW TO HONOR DRIVER'S CHOICES AND THIS FEATURE TO BE CONFIGURABLE TO ALARM YOU EARLY, JUST LIKE OTHER CAR MANUFACTURERS HAVE IT!
Well said...
Appreciate 0