01-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #45
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I called BMW Tech via 800 number. These vehicle are suppose to apply emergency braking intervention at parking lot speeds of it detects a obstacle. We have discovered a MAJOR omission that needs to be addressed. He needs owners of this to contact the dealer so dealer tech can open case.
So the car is supposed to brake, but there's a software issue?
      01-10-2019, 04:33 PM   #46
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Quote:
I called BMW Tech via 800 number. These vehicle are suppose to apply emergency braking intervention at parking lot speeds of it detects a obstacle. We have discovered a MAJOR omission that needs to be addressed. He needs owners of this to contact the dealer so dealer tech can open case.
This potential "bug" is really the first one I'm really concerned about. I expect the collision avoidance system to work. I can deal with silly iPhone and CarPlay and iDrive and WiFi and wrinklegate and sunroofgate and creakyabovemyheadgate and looseseatgate......but not this!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 04:36 PM   #47
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc5513 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Quote:
This potential "bug" is really the first one I'm really concerned about. I expect the collision avoidance system to work. I can deal with silly iPhone and CarPlay and iDrive and WiFi and wrinklegate and sunroofgate and creakyabovemyheadgate and looseseatgate......but not this!
We've just had the Apple play issue and WiFi hotspot issue, but the WiFi issue is fixed now
      01-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #48
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Everyone is to contact your dealers service and confirm if your slow speed brake intervention works. Nothing more can be done on the forum until you confirm this at your service center. Only they can initiate a notification about this to BMW.

In the meantime, you may test it yourself with a couch cushion or cardboard box. Try hitting it. If your vehicle doesn’t auto brake and taps the obstical, it obviously doesn’t work. But regardless only the dealer can issue a formal notification to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #49
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Below is euro ncap video showing automatic breaking at about 1 minute 50 seconds into video.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #50
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
Below is euro ncap video showing automatic breaking at about 1 minute 50 seconds into video.

But at what speed? There is a difference between higher city speed that is activated by cameras and radar vs slow speed sonar only. Slow speed below 4mph will not auto brake for anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 06:05 PM   #51
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Would have thought the info regarding speeds would be in handbook, would think you are correct regarding very low speeds. On Mercs starts at 5mph. and works at higher speed on cars with adaptive cruise control than cars with normal cruise control.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 06:05 PM   #52
Doc5513
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post

But at what speed? There is a difference between higher city speed that is activated by cameras and radar vs slow speed sonar only. Slow speed below 4mph will not auto brake for anything.
I don't have slow speed auto braking on my F15..for instance try pulling into your garage and as you approach the wall you get audible but it doesn't stop you. But in contrast I've sure as hell had it start braking when I was driving on the roads.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 06:41 AM   #53
Doc5513
Captain
Rep

I asked a CA on this forum about this issue, and was told "Make sure you have the latest update for the camera system"
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #54
First BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 on order

Quote:
I asked a CA on this forum about this issue, and was told "Make sure you have the latest update for the camera system"
I understand CA telling us to make sure update to the newest software...but I personally find this to be a serious issue and feel BMW should send out alerts to everyone that is affected...this is a serious issue and I can only imagine the people that are not aware.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #55
onefishtwofish
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Is the automatic braking (high and low speed) a standard feature on the US X5?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #56
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefishtwofish View Post
Most of the reviews I have read mention it but the BMW web site is a little less clear on it.

Here is what Consumer's Reports said: "BMW’s standard Active Driving Assistant includes forward-collision warning (with a pedestrian and cyclist warning), low-speed automatic emergency braking, blind-spot warning, lane departure warning, rear cross-traffic warning, and rear automatic emergency braking."

The BMW web site: "Active Driving Assistant includes Daytime Pedestrian Protection, Frontal Collision Warning with City Collision Mitigation, Lane Departure Warning, Active Blind Spot Detection, and rear Cross Traffic Alert"
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #57
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bwm x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefishtwofish View Post
Most of the reviews I have read mention it but the BMW web site is a little less clear on it.

Here is what Consumer's Reports said: "BMW’s standard Active Driving Assistant includes forward-collision warning (with a pedestrian and cyclist warning), low-speed automatic emergency braking, blind-spot warning, lane departure warning, rear cross-traffic warning, and rear automatic emergency braking."

The BMW web site: "Active Driving Assistant includes Daytime Pedestrian Protection, Frontal Collision Warning with City Collision Mitigation, Lane Departure Warning, Active Blind Spot Detection, and rear Cross Traffic Alert"
:
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #58
TK421BMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328, X5, Z4

So only at low speeds otherwise it's just "mitigation" where it starts the breaking process for you to finish. Could be dangerous to have it slam on the brakes when you just meant to come up and "encourage someone" going slow in the fast lane to move.
2020 f30 440 xDrive Convertible
2004 e85 Z4 3.0
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #59
Doc5513
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by First BMW View Post
Quote:
I understand CA telling us to make sure update to the newest software...but I personally find this to be a serious issue and feel BMW should send out alerts to everyone that is affected...this is a serious issue and I can only imagine the people that are not aware.
Ditto. Has anyone asked their genius or CA?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:27 PM   #60
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421BMW View Post
So only at low speeds otherwise it's just "mitigation" where it starts the breaking process for you to finish. Could be dangerous to have it slam on the brakes when you just meant to come up and "encourage someone" going slow in the fast lane to move.
It is not clear but definitely does braking above low speeds, at least to 50mph. It looks auto braking for the front, should kick in at 3mph. I have not run into anything in the manual addressing auto-braking on the rear.

Some info from the manual:

Approach control warning with light braking function

Concept
The system can help prevent accidents. If an accident cannot be prevented, the system will help reduce the impact speed.

The system sounds a warning before an imminent collision and activates brakes independently, if needed.

General information
Depending on the equipment version, the system is controlled by the following sensors:

Camera in the area of the interior mirror.
The system issues a two-phase warning of a possible risk of collision with vehicles at speeds above approx. 3 mph/5 km/h. Time of warnings may vary with the current driving situation.

With the vehicle approaching another vehicle intentionally, the approach control warning and braking are delayed in order to avoid false system reactions.

Prewarning
This warning is provided, for instance when there is impending danger of a collision or the distance to the vehicle ahead is too small.

If a prewarning is provided, respond by braking as warranted.

Acute warning with braking function
Acute warning is displayed in case of the imminent danger of a collision when the vehicle approaches another object at a high differential speed.

If an acute warning is issued, intervene in the situation yourself. Depending on the driving situation, the acute warning may be accompanied by a brief activation of the braking system.

With the warning time setting "Late" the brief activation of the braking system is omitted.

If necessary, the system provides additional assistance, such as with an automatic braking intervention, in a possible risk of collision.

Acute warnings can also be triggered without previous forewarning.

Braking intervention
The warning prompts the driver to react. During a warning, the maximum required braking force is used when the brake is actuated. Prerequisite is sufficiently quick and hard stepping on the brake pedal.

The system can additionally assist possibly with automatic braking intervention if there is a risk of a collision.

When the vehicle is traveling at a low speed, the vehicle may come to a complete stop.

City brake function: the braking intervention occurs to up to approx. 50 mph/80 km/h.

The braking intervention occurs only if vehicle stability has not been restricted, for instance by deactivating the DSC Dynamic Stability Control.

The driver may cancel the braking intervention by stepping on the accelerator pedal or by actively moving the steering wheel.

Object detection can be restricted. Follow the limitations of the detection range and functional limitations

Upper speed limit
If the vehicle speed exceeds approx. 155 mph/250 km/h, the system is deactivated temporarily. When the vehicle slows down to below this speed, the system is reactivated.

Person warning with City light braking function

Concept
The system can help prevent accidents involving pedestrians and cyclists. If an accident cannot be prevented, the system will help reduce the impact speed.

The system sounds a warning in the city speed range before an imminent collision and activates brakes independently, if needed.

General information
The system issues a warning of a possible risk of collision with pedestrians and cyclists at speeds above approx. 3 mph/5 km/h.

The system reacts to pedestrians and cyclists who are within the detection range of the system.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #61
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

As mentioned either earlier in this thread or another, there may be some rear braking included on the PDC function:

Depending on the equipment version: emergency brake function, Active PDC

Concept
The emergency braking function of PDC initiates an emergency braking in case of acute risk of collision.

General information
This function may not be available. Contact your authorized dealer’s service center or another qualified service center as to whether this additional function is currently in your vehicle or when it can be installed in your vehicle in the future.

Due to system limits, a collision cannot be prevented under all circumstances.

The function is available from walking speed while backing up or rolling backward.

A press of the accelerator pedal interrupts the braking intervention.

After emergency braking to a stop, further creeping toward an obstacle is possible. To creep toward the obstacle, lightly press the accelerator pedal and release it again.

If the accelerator pedal is heavily depressed, the vehicle drives off as usual. Manual braking is possible at any time.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:18 PM   #62
jcc285
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I just took my vehicle to the dealership to check on the safety features.
1) I had set frontal collision warning to early and was not getting any warning. My M4 gives me warnings with no issues.

2) no breaking intervention during parking known issue to all of us.

3) no cornering lights granted I don’t live in places where they would turn on according to the manual but I have tried to do what’s in the manual and they don’t turn on.

The service advisor stated that there’s a software that programming that takes 2-3 hrs and it will “probably resolve most of these issues”

I don’t care about connected drive, WiFi issues but I do want the safety features to work. My wife hates driving and these features is one of the things that she loved about the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #63
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc285 View Post

They didn’t test the slow speed brake intervention?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #64
Doc5513
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc285 View Post
1) I had set frontal collision warning to early and was not getting any warning. My M4 gives me warnings with no issues.

3) no cornering lights granted I don’t live in places where they would turn on according to the manual but I have tried to do what’s in the manual and they don’t turn on.

The service advisor stated that there’s a software that programming that takes 2-3 hrs and it will “probably resolve most of these issues”

I don’t care about connected drive, WiFi issues but I do want the safety features to work. My wife hates driving and these features is one of the things that she loved about the vehicle.
Seriously? BMW should be ashamed to send owners out on the road wo these safety features functional. I mean wtf. This is a huge legal issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #65
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Seriously? BMW should be ashamed to send owners out on the road wo these safety features functional. I mean wtf. This is a huge legal issue.
What type of legal issue could there be? There is nothing that says there are safety/automatic systems that will prevent an accident or even mitigate one. The manual is full of warnings concerning that. Not saying of course they should get them working. Guess you could try to sure for breach of contract for not having the system at least minimally functional since it is advertised.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #66
Doc5513
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
What type of legal issue could there be? There is nothing that says there are safety/automatic systems that will prevent an accident or even mitigate one. The manual is full of warnings concerning that. Not saying of course they should get them working. Guess you could try to sure for breach of contract for to having the system at least minimally functional.
Turtle, I'm saying folks are claiming the systems are not functioning as expected . Trust me, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Appreciate 0