BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #67
ScotX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Ok not a permanent delivery but did pick up my local dealers G05 30d M sport for the weekend this afternoon.

First impressions are really good! The first element I noticed was the car feels bigger. I know in dimension terms we are talking mm however, it must be the way they've structured the car as it feels much bigger compared to the F15 X5! I also feel you're sitting higher up which is a benefit in my view. Driving wise the car wafts along dual carriageways in comfort yet feels wired in on B roads. The demo is riding on the individual 22" wheels however, the ride remains good and tyre roar is non existent. MPG was averaging 33mpg which is exactly the same as my current car.

Inside the cabin is a big step up from the F15. I've ratified that I'll be ordering the sky lounge. It provides so much natural light during the day (something that we long for in Northern Scotland in the winter) and really brightened up a black leather cabin with piano black trim. At night it reminds me of being on a plane in First or Business as the LED's give a really cool and relaxing ambience! Leather dash is subtle but agains adds to the classiness of the interior. It brings the X5 into Range Rover territory in terms of look and feel. Couple that with German (USA) build quality and it's definitely a winner.

The new idrive took a little bit of getting used to but the screen and features still remain intuitive. The car is equipped with the tech package and hud. The HUD grew on me as the day went on but still not sure it'll be on my final build! It also has the driving assistant pro package, the dealership had most of the features turned off. Will have a play with the features tomorrow but anyone I speak to who has similar systems from other manufactures always seem to tell me about hairy moments they've had and then effectively disable it. I know semi autonomous is the future however, not sure if I am there yet. Laser lights are brilliant. High beam assist worked really well and the lights give you as much vision as you need from all angles. The viz package also gives cool LED strip indicators at the front.

Anyway I know most of you will know this as you've already ordered or are awaiting delivery. For those that are still on the fence I'd say put any negatives to one side as this car is better in every way from the F15. Just make sure any build slots are behind mine 😂.

Cheers
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2019, 02:37 AM   #68
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 40i Msport, X6 M50D

Thanks Scot for the review.

NKA - I had the same call on Saturday - would you like your car on or around the 29th?! So it went from in transit to the boat to being at sea (skipped the port stage). He asked if I wanted to wait until March but a month seems a little OTT - will collect next week if it does come in on time.

In the interim, they are letting me have an M5 for the weekend - 2 weeks of exciting car stuff!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 05:05 AM   #69
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW lifer View Post
Eaglesrest and mge92 - thanks for your replies.

After a couple more calls, I've been told that it's just the X5 30D model which can't be ordered with Laserlights until an April build slot. So presumably you're getting either the 40i or 50D?
You are correct. My 3.0d has been pushed back to April/May due to laserlight shortage
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 09:53 AM   #70
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just checked with the genius and car is in the UK in storage (status 9645)... So it seems the online system is way behind, having gone from being with the carrier in the US, to arriving in the UK in 2 days...don't think they air freight these things.

My dealer is away for a week so guessing I could have collected it before but am happy to wait a week. Exciting times!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #71
nkajkmuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCompromise View Post
Just checked with the genius and car is in the UK in storage (status 9645)... So it seems the online system is way behind, having gone from being with the carrier in the US, to arriving in the UK in 2 days...don't think they air freight these things.

My dealer is away for a week so guessing I could have collected it before but am happy to wait a week. Exciting times!
Thanks for the update. I may pick it up as well, if it is indeed in the UK and will be delivered in Jan.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:11 AM   #72
MSX
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkajkmuk View Post
Thanks for the update. I may pick it up as well, if it is indeed in the UK and will be delivered in Jan.
Surely register & collect 1st March, as it being so close? or am i missing something?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:13 AM   #73
nkajkmuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435D View Post
Quote:
Surely register & collect 1st March, as it being so close? or am i missing something?
Just missing the 28 days of fun with the car in Feb
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:27 AM   #74
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just missing the 28 days of fun with the car in Feb
Exactly. A week, or maybe 2 is one thing, but a whole month of the car sitting in the dealership so it has a 19 plate doesn't sit well. From a value perspective I will probably do the same as the X6 and just hand the keys back when possible given how badly these things depreciate.

Any UK deliveries had the software or other issues yet? Very excited to drive the 40i...will be a complete unknown. I have not seen any 40is at dealerships yet either - all seem to be 30 or 50d.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #75
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

ps. is anyone in the UK having a tracker fitted? Any particular type/brand recommended?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #76
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

Quote:
ps. is anyone in the UK having a tracker fitted? Any particular type/brand recommended?
Most likely the BMW TRACKSTAR CAT 5 one which is mandatory by my insurance for my age / location (Central London)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 02:15 AM   #77
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks MGE, BMW is quoting £999?

I do not like the fob systems as you end up leaving it places but will call the insurer to see which makes the bid difference to the premium.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #78
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Thanks MGE, BMW is quoting £999?

I do not like the fob systems as you end up leaving it places but will call the insurer to see which makes the bid difference to the premium.
Install and Tracker should be £799 not £999. The 1 year subscription cost: £198.00 / 2 year subscription cost: £549.00.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 10:46 AM   #79
Oran
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

Hi my order been placed this morning is there anywhere i can keep looking at where my build is up to ? or do i have to rely on my dealer to keep me updated ?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 12:57 PM   #80
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oran View Post
Hi my order been placed this morning is there anywhere i can keep looking at where my build is up to ? or do i have to rely on my dealer to keep me updated ?
I get updates from the Genius Live Chat. They just need your 7 digit production number which should be on the order form.

Just go to bmw.co.uk, Build, and then Live Chat
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 03:53 PM   #81
MSX
Private First Class
Rep

Mines gone to 9630, can't wait
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 02:30 AM   #82
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks MGE - if BMW will not do £799 then I will get it done elsewhere (along with a Dashcam). Local car wash man will scotch guard the interior and do a ceramic coating for £300 v the BMW £599 for a fancy wax.

I suspect this time next week there will be lots of pics of UK X5s that appear to have all arrived on the same boat!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 04:35 AM   #83
nkajkmuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks MGE - if BMW will not do £799 then I will get it done elsewhere (along with a Dashcam). Local car wash man will scotch guard the interior and do a ceramic coating for £300 v the BMW £599 for a fancy wax.

I suspect this time next week there will be lots of pics of UK X5s that appear to have all arrived on the same boat!
If everything goes to plan I will be picking mine up today.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 08:34 AM   #84
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If everything goes to plan I will be picking mine up today.
Very jealous! Will be keeping an eye out around Wycombe (not in a weird way...have just not seen one in motion yet).
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #85
nkajkmuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

'The beast' has arrived . Took delivery of mine last evening and it is splendid (40i M sport in Phytonic Blue with Coffee and wood interior). The colour is very nice in the flesh.

and before anyone asks, photos will be loaded once I have had the car detailed. The UK weather is way too gloomy for this brilliant car for me to be taking pictures last evening.

For anyone taking delivery very early, a word of advice is to ensure you have your insurance sorted. The BMW driveaway 7-day insurance do not even have this model listed on their selection of cars, so hopefully, they fix it soon. I had to update mine last night while I was at the dealership.

Some observations
  • The software version is 2018.49 (do post if anyone has managed to get a more latest version)
  • Can't see the Remote Engine Start Option under climate control, so not sure if this is a software bug or generally disabled for UK (a bit daft if it is disabled as Range Rover does it in UK)
  • They do include one Credit card sized 'Digital Key card'
  • The massage function has been a bit underwhelming but haven't tried it a lot
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 08:03 AM   #86
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Congratulations on the new addition to the family! Will definitely be looking out - have managed to blag an M5 for the weekend so you may see that : )

The Remote Engine Start is quite a big deal...is that with the display key or the app? Is the app Android or iPhone? I heard that Android did not support but display key should for sure.

Do you have the MSport exhaust? Want to hear if any good...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 08:18 AM   #87
nkajkmuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Congratulations on the new addition to the family! Will definitely be looking out - have managed to blag an M5 for the weekend so you may see that : )

The Remote Engine Start is quite a big deal...is that with the display key or the app? Is the app Android or iPhone? I heard that Android did not support but display key should for sure.

Do you have the MSport exhaust? Want to hear if any good...
The remote engine start is meant to work with both the normal key, display key and the Connected APP. But it is meant to be turned on in the i-drive settings under climate control. I just can't find it and the car does NOT start when clicking and holding the BMW button on the remote. It is with an i-Phone

I prefer 'silence' and have gone with the acoustic glass so don't really care what it sounds to the bystander :-). Did NOT order M-Sport exhaust, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #88
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

I was tempted by the acoustic glass but the dealer said it was the quietest model by far anyway - hopefully true.

I hope you find a solution to the remote start - I have been using it every morning on my wife's car to get to the station and it is invaluable on frosty starts.
Appreciate 0