BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
heinzena
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi M-Sport

Steering Issues?

Maybe my imagination, but something with the steering just feels off. I currently have all steering interventions turned off. I feel like the steering is a bit “springy”, in that the wheel wants to snap back to its neutral position way too easily/quickly. Also, I feel the steering sometimes “slips” almost as if hitting a slick spot. Finally, I feel that the steering will randomly slight pull left or right without input — but again, all interventions are currently off.

Anyone else feel the steering is squirrelly?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 11:30 AM   #2
msi200
Enlisted Member
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: M2

Do you have the rear wheel steering option?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
heinzena
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msi200 View Post
Do you have the rear wheel steering option?

No I do not
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2021 M550

Was it very cold when this was happening?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 12:41 PM   #5
heinzena
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
Was it very cold when this was happening?

Yes well below zero. Minnesota
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #6
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzena View Post
Maybe my imagination, but something with the steering just feels off. I currently have all steering interventions turned off. I feel like the steering is a bit “springy”, in that the wheel wants to snap back to its neutral position way too easily/quickly. Also, I feel the steering sometimes “slips” almost as if hitting a slick spot. Finally, I feel that the steering will randomly slight pull left or right without input — but again, all interventions are currently off.

It sounds a lot like an alignment issue to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 02:04 PM   #7
heinzena
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
It sounds a lot like an alignment issue to me.
Seems to only happen at lower speeds. Highway is fine. An alignment issue would cause the car to drift one way — I dealt with that for years with my E70. This is not that.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #8
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

If you're concerned you should take it in to your dealership for them to check it out.
      01-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #9
Usher9387
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

I am having a similar problem too. I am going to leave the car to dealer tomm to check it out.

First, I thought it might be misaligned but i strongly believe with sensor problem.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      01-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #10
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
An alignment issue would cause the car to drift one way — I dealt with that for years with my E70.
Agreed - and, same here (along with trying to balance the runflats)

In this case, dealer sounds like a safe idea.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 03:10 AM   #11
EJELITE
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 S5 cab | 2019 X5

Quote:

Sounds like the cold weather related steering/sensor issues a bunch of us are experiencing. There's a recent thread on here called 'steering twitch' or something to that effect.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #12
heinzena
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJELITE View Post
Sounds like the cold weather related steering/sensor issues a bunch of us are experiencing. There's a recent thread on here called 'steering twitch' or something to that effect.

This is getting ridiculous and borderline dangerous. Making an appointment today.

The wheel is constantly making micro-adjustments to seeming keep the wheel in a neutral position. The software was updated last week and I’m wondering if that has anything to do with it. But, it’s also -15 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 06:13 PM   #13
AutoSalvageMan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJELITE View Post

This is getting ridiculous and borderline dangerous. Making an appointment today.

The wheel is constantly making micro-adjustments to seeming keep the wheel in a neutral position. The software was updated last week and I’m wondering if that has anything to do with it. But, it’s also -15 degrees.
I'm definitely experiencing this. Especially notice it when cold. Feels like the lugnuts are loose when driving at speeds up to about 50
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 06:28 PM   #14
heinzena
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSalvageMan View Post
I'm definitely experiencing this. Especially notice it when cold. Feels like the lugnuts are loose when driving at speeds up to about 50
Yes! Exactly. But I experience this at all speeds. If I take my hands off the wheel or just barely touch it, I can the wheel moving on it own. It is definitely getting input from the computer or some other source. Extremely annoying. I should not have to fight my car to drive it. But this just started after the software update
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 12:50 AM   #15
Eric
Private
Rep
Drives: Numerous

I have this exact problem as well on my 50i with only 1000 miles on it. Only notice it when the car is cold-soaked and has sat outside. If it's spent the night in the garage, I dont notice it. FWIW, this was happening even before the current wicked cold snap when temps were around 20* above.

It's like the wheel refuses to rest at the center position. It wig-wags back and forth a degree or two either side of dead center while trying to drive straight.

I have an appointment Friday at the dealer and am going to tell them I don't want it back until its fixed. I have young kids, and no desire to have them ride with me in a brand new $85k car that has steering issues.

Ive had so many trouble-free BMWs, and this one is a beautiful ride but Im not terribly impressed with the range of issues Im having in such a short period of time.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #16
heinzena
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just got this message from my SA:

BMW responded and said that they are tracking an odd cold weather issue. They think a software update will correct the issue. The software is not ready yet. They suggest putting the vehicle in sport mode to help.

It terribly helpful, as I’ve tried sport mode and it didn’t help.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #17
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2021 M550

Ok, I'm pretty sure I experienced this on our 2019 X5 as well. It was an extremely cold day, but also after it had snowed. I thought the issue was the land departure intervention being confused by the snow and salt on the road, but what happened to me sounds like what others are reporting here. It was like the steering was disconnected and wobbling all over. At first I thought something was mechanically wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 03:46 PM   #18
puraj83
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i

I thought I had noticed this twitch before but attributed to"cold tires". Clearly it's more than that. Tried turning off all the drivers assistance and still got the steering twitch.

Hope fix will come soon!

Also related... When you hit the drivers assistance button next to the climate control and try to "turn off" all the assistance systems, it doesn't work for me. Even after holding the button down for 3 seconds as it asked me to do. Anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 03:59 PM   #19
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

This sounds very similar to what The Straight Pipes Jakub and Yuri experienced when reviewing the F90 M5. The discussion about the "snap back" steering sensation starts at around 9min mark. They are in Toronto, Canada so it might explain the cold weather correlation.

I personally haven't experienced it in my G05 40i, but I don't doubt it. My F85 X5M also had a funny sensation where it was so dead off center and felt like there was no return to center. It looks like BMW has possibly over compensated and now the EPS steering setup is too eager to return to center.

For those that are experience this, check out video and see if it matches what you're experiencing.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 02:21 AM   #20
EJELITE
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 S5 cab | 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight View Post
This sounds very similar to what The Straight Pipes Jakub and Yuri experienced when reviewing the F90 M5. The discussion about the "snap back" steering sensation starts at around 9min mark. They are in Toronto, Canada so it might explain the cold weather correlation.

I personally haven't experienced it in my G05 40i, but I don't doubt it. My F85 X5M also had a funny sensation where it was so dead off center and felt like there was no return to center. It looks like BMW has possibly over compensated and now the EPS steering setup is too eager to return to center.

For those that are experience this, check out video and see if it matches what you're experiencing.
Nope, this is not what I'm experiencing and likely not what the other G05 owners are experiencing either based on our discussions. My steering tries to pull off center; small jerks left and/or right in .5 second intervals. It's an effort to keep the steering wheel straight when its acting up like this.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2019, 12:32 PM   #21
AutoSalvageMan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Whatever is going on with this steering issue sucks! It almost makes you seasick after driving for awhile. You really feel it thru the wheel but when I ask passengers they don't feel it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 02:11 PM   #22
JackJack1
Rep

Same issue here, subscribing to see if anyone gets a resolution. I originally thought it was the camera covered in snow/ice but I cleared it off and still had the issue.

Last edited by JackJack1; 01-31-2019 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0