BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
TucErDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 ans m2

I'm debating whether or not I should replace my windshield or if it's going to cause more trouble than it's worth.

I got a rock chip 1 week into ownership. I'm super OCD, so I called to have it "repaired" the day after. I was told by drilling and filling it with resin would prevent it from spreading, however it still spread from a chip to about 5".

It's not in my field of view, in fact, it's off to the passenger side corner. However, being a new car and wanting it to be perfect I'm thinking of having the windshield replaced through insurance. But I'm worried that if I do, I may be opening up a new can of worms (leaking, rattling, poor fit and installation, etc.). I was assured by Geico that I would get an OEM part. I've also already tinted the windshield. If it was an older car, I'd probably let it go and see if it spreads more, but seeing as it's brand new I'm more inclined to replace.
What would you do?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

These vehicles cant be kept perfect and still be driven for enjoyment. Its just the way it is once you take delivery. Stone chips and windshield issues are going to happen. Fix or replace immediately when they occur. I would get it replaced if it were mine. I couldnt live with a crack in a new windshield. Thats a much larger offence than stone chips to me. These are not collector cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
mynewx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Apparently not that OCD about dust? I'm joking, I see that you live in a desert, literally.

As far as the windshield, if it was just a chip I would maybe leave it alone, but a 5" crack should be replaced. I would imagine it's only going to get worse.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 02:36 PM   #4
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
I'd get it fixed, the crack will spread and it can pose a safety issue
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 02:40 PM   #5
TucErDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewx5 View Post
Apparently not that OCD about dust? I'm joking, I see that you live in a desert, literally.

As far as the windshield, if it was just a chip I would maybe leave it alone, but a 5" crack should be replaced. I would imagine it's only going to get worse.
Haha! I swear it didn't look like that yesterday. The gardener came by this morning and blew dust everywhere.
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll just go through with the replacement.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 04:18 PM   #6
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

That needs replaced no question, it becomes unsafe when compromised that much and will fail inspection in most states - I am with you and try not to replace unless absolutely necessary but that is pretty necessary.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 04:35 PM   #7
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucErDoc View Post
I'm debating whether or not I should replace my windshield or if it's going to cause more trouble than it's worth.

I got a rock chip 1 week into ownership. I'm super OCD, so I called to have it "repaired" the day after. I was told by drilling and filling it with resin would prevent it from spreading, however it still spread from a chip to about 5".

It's not in my field of view, in fact, it's off to the passenger side corner. However, being a new car and wanting it to be perfect I'm thinking of having the windshield replaced through insurance. But I'm worried that if I do, I may be opening up a new can of worms (leaking, rattling, poor fit and installation, etc.). I was assured by Geico that I would get an OEM part. I've also already tinted the windshield. If it was an older car, I'd probably let it go and see if it spreads more, but seeing as it's brand new I'm more inclined to replace.
What would you do?
Definitely needs replacing. It will only get worse over time and makes the car look really bad.

I had to replace the windshield on my X4 and ended up going through insurance because it was expensive enough to warrant it to get a OEM BMW Windshield and get it done through the dealership.

GG
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 05:07 PM   #8
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Yes of course fix it. It's not going to fix itself.
      01-30-2019, 08:36 PM   #9
TucErDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
Quote:

What would you do?
Definitely needs replacing. It will only get worse over time and makes the car look really bad.

I had to replace the windshield on my X4 and ended up going through insurance because it was expensive enough to warrant it to get a OEM BMW Windshield and get it done through the dealership.

GG
I tried to go through the dealer, and they told me "we don't fix glass". They hire out to safelite.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 09:00 PM   #10
Wichita
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
I tried to go through the dealer, and they told me "we don't fix glass". They hire out to safelite.
My old x3 got cracked by a rock in winter, they seem to like to gravel the roads around here when it snows. I waited until spring to fix it and had safelite do it. Heads up display, no issues. It was a few years old though, this is a brand new model?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 10:38 AM   #11
Espejo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Alpine White X5 40i

I had mine a little over 4 weeks and same thing but on the driver side. Safelink had one for about $650 but aftermarket. Called my insurance company went to BMW for OEM. I paid my deductible and insurance will refund difference about $1,300 and we are back to normal. It's only been a day but it's solid as rock with no rattles. Don't know about water but on previous replacements I've never had an issue. I garage my X5 at home and work so not too may times when water would be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 12:26 PM   #12
Nick M.
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife crazy with M cars

Did you have the original chip repaired and then it cracked further?

If so, that work might be covered by a warranty. E.g. here is a snippet from the Safelite website on repair coverage:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 12:37 PM   #13
Espejo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Alpine White X5 40i

Another issue to consider. I just had mine replaced with OEM last night. On drive home I got "Driving Assistance Support Reduced" error message. The effected system is the "Lane Departure Warning". I have been in my car 4 times today and after about 10-15 minutes the error message pops up. A little digging and I believe there is a camera behind the upper middle windshield. The dealer replaced the windshield, molding and sensor but something is not aligned properly. Have an appointment on Monday but for those who replace ensure they check the system to ensure everything is working properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 12:47 PM   #14
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Always repair cracks. The windshield provides a lot of structural integrity for the car and so if it is weak, effectively the whole chassis is in the event of an accident.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 02:33 PM   #15
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
My dealer likely subcontracted it out to some glass shop as well. But they ordered the OEM BMW windshield to do the replacement. All we had to do is drop the car off at the dealer and payed the deductible when picking the car up.

GG
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 05:00 AM   #16
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
Always repair cracks. The windshield provides a lot of structural integrity for the car and so if it is weak, effectively the whole chassis is in the event of an accident.
I agree. I would not ignore the crack. It is a safety issue and, unless I am mistaken, certain states will not renew the inspection sticker I’d a crack exists.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 03:19 PM   #17
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M- 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M. View Post
Did you have the original chip repaired and then it cracked further?

If so, that work might be covered by a warranty. E.g. here is a snippet from the Safelite website on repair coverage:
What if it cracked above where the repair was done? It does not look like it had anything to do with the original epoxy fill.
Runs from the edge of the molding upwards. About 12” inches
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 04:55 PM   #18
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbmwguy View Post
What if it cracked above where the repair was done? It does not look like it had anything to do with the original epoxy fill.
Runs from the edge of the molding upwards. About 12” inches
Then it would not be covered by the Satellite warranty since the original fill site is not spreading.
Appreciate 0