BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-17-2019, 10:52 PM   #1
ScotsWhaHaeWi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Gravely disappointed with my 40i

Shame on me for not doing better homework and ordering one instead of buying one off the lot and driving the crap out of it before I bought.

Just got done with a 10 hour road trip on my new 40i and I'm sick to my stomach with buyers remorse. For close to 80 grand spent on an ostensibly luxury vehicle, I expect better. This is the 3rd X5 I've had. It's the last. In fact it's the last BMW.

I've now got the latest in vehicle engineering and design from a high end German company, that rides more harshly than my daughters new $32000 VW Atlas. An Atlas which, btw, has tech which is not too far off this X5 but seems to get the job done more effectively.

"Luxury" seats are less comfortable than my F15 seats on a trip. Massage is barely perceptible. Money waste.

Fought with getting things activated and working...hotspot, store, connected drive...none of it particularly smooth, some still not working, all requiring multiple calls to mostly unhelpful sorts. Genius?...not so much. They're mostly all quick to get you off the phone with a "let it sit for 24-48 hrs". WTF? After 9 phone calls and a bunch of blowing me off, one kind hearted Bmw assist person took 30 secs to walk me into updating apps and fixed a connected drive issue.

Don't bother with the active steering assist. It's a money waste. It's annoying and nausea inducing. At best, it wanders back and forth in the lane like a questionably sighted old lady, and fingers/hands get a bit sore with the constant resisting to keep it from undulating all the time. At worst it catches you by surprise and swerves violently away from imaginary crap making it an outright danger at times. Far more inferior in execution than the Volvo system I drove for a month in Europe last year. The BMW system is not good. Auto lane change works, but feels like an amateur has taken control and yanks the wheel over to the next lane then yanks its straight. It's laughable! Like a bunch of bad drivers designed the whole thing.

idrive...after getting a good chance to play with it on long trip, it's a bit less annoying than my old F15, but still pisses me off. Touchscreen seems nice, but it's TOO far away to easily reach! So end up just kind of not using it as it doesn't readily fall to hand. My RAM truck system is far and away superior to the idrive.

The A/C is weak. Fans have to be cranked to get it to cool to 69 on not even that hot of a day (70). And 69 feels hot. Had to make it 64 to be comfortable and then it was loud, like max AC.

They don't go out of their way to let you know the hotspot they so kindly included for 4 years is just the basic capability. You still have to pay lots to AT&T for the service. Really slick BMW.

Laser lights are a money waste. No better than the LEDs.

Power is meh.

I realized it bears too much ass-end similarity to the Rav4 I was sitting next to at a gas station.

All in all, I regret not just keeping my F15 and spotting up for a 4 year extended or waiting on the GLE at least.

When the new GLE hits the showrooms, I'm looking to trade this. Hopefully I can hold out 'til then. Otherwise I'll be looking harder at Audi, Porsche, R Rover. BMW will never again get money from me.
Appreciate 2
P111541.50
      02-17-2019, 10:55 PM   #2
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
I'm not going to give this a detailed response but did you bother test driving before ordering? While most of what your stating is a matter of opinion buying the first year of a refresh means you'll have some bugs.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 2
mnewnam268.00
      02-17-2019, 11:09 PM   #3
ScotsWhaHaeWi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I'm not going to give this a detailed response but did you bother test driving before ordering? While most of what your stating is a matter of opinion buying the first year of a refresh means you'll have some bugs.
I did, but traffic was heavy, couldn’t get it opened up. Like I said, I blame myself for not taking more time. Still doesn’t change the fact that I don’t like it and it took a long road trip for various foibles to become apparent. And yes, some of it’s a matter of opinion. But awful driving assist functionality isn’t. Poor customer service isn’t. Pseudo true marketing (laser lights, digital key nonsense, hotspot) isn’t.

So trade it is. Don’t care if I lose some $.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 11:14 PM   #4
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

Yeah, I'm not going to bother responding to each item you mentioned...but in our experience its been pretty much the opposite of everything you mentioned. Best car/BMW we have ever owned. Most comfortable too!

I'm frustrated with the iDrive bugs and the cornering lights not working. That is about it.
Appreciate 5
mnewnam268.00
sygazelle11091.00
Forrera24.50
      02-17-2019, 11:19 PM   #5
ScotsWhaHaeWi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
Yeah, I'm not going to bother responding to each item you mentioned...but in our experience its been pretty much the opposite of everything you mentioned. Best car/BMW we have ever owned. Most comfortable too!

I'm frustrated with the iDrive bugs and the cornering lights not working. That is about it.
Your driving assist is good? It doesn’t wander in lane like it’s had a 6 pack or so?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 11:22 PM   #6
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsWhaHaeWi View Post
I did, but traffic was heavy, couldn’t get it opened up. Like I said, I blame myself for not taking more time. Still doesn’t change the fact that I don’t like it and it took a long road trip for various foibles to become apparent. And yes, some of it’s a matter of opinion. But awful driving assist functionality isn’t. Poor customer service isn’t. Pseudo true marketing (laser lights, digital key nonsense, hotspot) isn’t.

You have some valid points there. Hopefully your next venture is more satisfying. Mercedes driver aids are better executed. BMWs lane keeping assist with wheel intervention is down right dangerous. MB Torque steering by braking one side of the car works like a charm. Hopefully BMW can fix some of these aids with a an OTA update.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2019, 11:26 PM   #7
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your driving assist is good? It doesn’t wander in lane like it’s had a 6 pack or so?
Mine does. It’s a very slight back and forth wander. I'm not sure if it’s has to do with tracking cars in combination with reading lines. I need to do some more mileage to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 11:34 PM   #8
mbarrett635
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine doesn't wander. It does have its limitations (like when the lines on the road disappear at an intersection), but overall its very good. And that's coming from someone who has said for years "I don't want Active Cruise Control/Self driving cars/yada yada yada".

Maybe yours is suffering from problems with the camera system that others have noted?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 11:35 PM   #9
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post

The driving assistant does work well, at least it has in the 1400 miles I've driven my X5. Digital key also works once you set it up which I suspect wasn't done correctly. Laser lights are an interesting one, they do work better than standard LED high beams but they're definitely not fully capable which is due to US laws. This doesn't means they will not be fully enabled with anti dazzle in the future, hell Audi has their Matrix LEDs on the Q8/A7/8 now but they're disabled to a high degree just like BMW
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 12:44 AM   #10
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

The G05 is my second BMW, but it is the first one where I had to contact BMW for help with iDrive, carplay, buying a key card, and one part replacement. I was pretty disappointed with BMW's service with respect to those things, especially the Genius helpline which I definitely agree with OP on. I found the solution to my Connected Drive issue on this forum. The CA didn't even install my front license plate holder on correctly. It fell off the next day bec he drilled using the wrong location and screws.

I however do love the X5 and don't regret much about my purchase other than color and not getting dynamic cruise control, but the most disappointing thing has been interactions with the BMW employees. Frankly, many of them don't know their product well enough to help their customers. Maybe they have too many models to support now and they are not receiving adequate training?

Last edited by robby818; 02-18-2019 at 12:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 02:01 AM   #11
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

Your steering might be a setting thing. Mine steers about the same as a tesla and seems to stay right in the middle of the road with very minor movement. our q7 ping pongs between lines . The ride may be tires if you have run flats. i noticed more harshness with them.I have a 50i so the gettup and go keeps me amused so may not be as critical as some.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 02:20 AM   #12
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 40i Msport, X6 M50D

Very surprised by the ride comment, unless you do not have the air suspension? I have the 22s and rides better than the previous gen on 20s.

Also surprised about the driver assist - it works very nicely. Although the side collision avoidance + lane keep assist have a few times been a little more active than I would have liked.

Overall this is a huge step up from the previous generation in every way I can think of. Hopefully the foibles you describe are ironed out in short order.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 03:01 AM   #13
jammit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

It would be good to understand why the majority of drivers find the driving assistant works reasonably well, and why a smaller number find it wanders or not works well.
I am still waiting for delivery of my order, but when I had a test drive - the driving assistant tracked the car in front in preference to the roadlines. This made me feel uncomfortable

I've also noted some drivers on this forum expect the system to work in ice and snow conditions - I expect this is wishful thinking.

There are a number of I drive settings for the driving assistant - would be good to understand what the successful settings are....
Appreciate 1
rs4eva33.00
      02-18-2019, 05:48 AM   #14
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCompromise View Post
Very surprised by the ride comment, unless you do not have the air suspension? I have the 22s and rides better than the previous gen on 20s.

Also surprised about the driver assist - it works very nicely. Although the side collision avoidance + lane keep assist have a few times been a little more active than I would have liked.

Overall this is a huge step up from the previous generation in every way I can think of. Hopefully the foibles you describe are ironed out in short order.
Interested to hear about ride quality, even with springs it’s softer.mthan before. Driver assist however is hit or miss even reviewers have had wandering happen during reviews, maybe a software update is needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 06:26 AM   #15
bigdaveindubai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

First world problems. lol
2012 Boss 302 #2147
2017 Shelby GT350
2017 F250 KR
Appreciate 1
natahoa252.00
      02-18-2019, 06:50 AM   #16
Doc5513
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Shame on me for not doing better homework and ordering one instead of buying one off the lot and driving the crap out of it before I bought.

Just got done with a 10 hour road trip on my new 40i and I'm sick to my stomach with buyers remorse. For close to 80 grand spent on an ostensibly luxury vehicle, I expect better. This is the 3rd X5 I've had. It's the last. In fact it's the last BMW.

I've now got the latest in vehicle engineering and design from a high end German company, that rides more harshly than my daughters new $32000 VW Atlas. An Atlas which, btw, has tech which is not too far off this X5 but seems to get the job done more effectively.

"Luxury" seats are less comfortable than my F15 seats on a trip. Massage is barely perceptible. Money waste.

Fought with getting things activated and working...hotspot, store, connected drive...none of it particularly smooth, some still not working, all requiring multiple calls to mostly unhelpful sorts. Genius?...not so much. They're mostly all quick to get you off the phone with a "let it sit for 24-48 hrs". WTF? After 9 phone calls and a bunch of blowing me off, one kind hearted Bmw assist person took 30 secs to walk me into updating apps and fixed a connected drive issue.

Don't bother with the active steering assist. It's a money waste. It's annoying and nausea inducing. At best, it wanders back and forth in the lane like a questionably sighted old lady, and fingers/hands get a bit sore with the constant resisting to keep it from undulating all the time. At worst it catches you by surprise and swerves violently away from imaginary crap making it an outright danger at times. Far more inferior in execution than the Volvo system I drove for a month in Europe last year. The BMW system is not good. Auto lane change works, but feels like an amateur has taken control and yanks the wheel over to the next lane then yanks its straight. It's laughable! Like a bunch of bad drivers designed the whole thing.

idrive...after getting a good chance to play with it on long trip, it's a bit less annoying than my old F15, but still pisses me off. Touchscreen seems nice, but it's TOO far away to easily reach! So end up just kind of not using it as it doesn't readily fall to hand. My RAM truck system is far and away superior to the idrive.

The A/C is weak. Fans have to be cranked to get it to cool to 69 on not even that hot of a day (70). And 69 feels hot. Had to make it 64 to be comfortable and then it was loud, like max AC.

They don't go out of their way to let you know the hotspot they so kindly included for 4 years is just the basic capability. You still have to pay lots to AT&T for the service. Really slick BMW.

Laser lights are a money waste. No better than the LEDs.

Power is meh.

I realized it bears too much ass-end similarity to the Rav4 I was sitting next to at a gas station.

All in all, I regret not just keeping my F15 and spotting up for a 4 year extended or waiting on the GLE at least.

When the new GLE hits the showrooms, I'm looking to trade this. Hopefully I can hold out 'til then. Otherwise I'll be looking harder at Audi, Porsche, R Rover. BMW will never again get money from me.
I hate to see reviews like this. We have all had disappointment and remorse, and it hits hard at this price point. I want to validate how you feel, but share my thoughts.
My experience has been in direct contrast to yours almost to a one. I'm just finishing a 1000mi wknd trip, and it's been amazing. It is a major upgrade in ride and build quality to my DHP equipped 35i. The drive assist has been a champ. With a light touch on the wheel she rides on rails and hugs tight curves. The comfort massage seats are fabulous. Supportive and massage felt deeply as I would want.
I also have not had any real iDrive issues. My connected drive has worked from day one. The voice recognition is spot on correct. Navigation a breeze. She has recognized every location stated the first time. The F15 never got it right.
I don't use CarPlay bc a combination of iDrive and Siri gets things done for me.
But back to your situation: I get it and I'm sorry. I felt your way with a Volvo XC90 and it sucked.
Appreciate 7
sygazelle11091.00
cdbeach19.00
Rupomk10.50
kleo12.00
perikifi165.50
      02-18-2019, 07:08 AM   #17
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:

That's a shame you feel that way, I feel the complete opposite than you do, but life's too short to spend with a car you don't love, so take the loss and move on. Hopefully, you'll like the next one more

As for the A/C and remembering that you didn't have the patience to sit through set up on delivery... What is your (now hidden)"red/blue" wheel set to? You're in TX, put it on blue...it's hot there!
cdbeach19.00
      02-18-2019, 07:46 AM   #18
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

What?????. You lost me at “VW Atlas”. Pure crazy talk.

My experience is polar opposite. 2200 mile family road trip with a 50i and it’s the best vehicle I have had on such a trip. Far superior than my A8. Heck, I drove 1100 miles in one day trying to beat a snow storm.. I couldn’t imagine driving that long in anything else. The massaging contour seats were a godsend. Everything worked great (hotspot,key card etc..) and my drivers assist work flawless and rock solid for hours. I paid $100k and feel I got a bargain as it’s safty system saved my family in a multi car pile up around us.
What’s odd about the OP’s experience is every review of the new X5 puts it at the top of the luxury SUV list in power and comfort so I am not sure what his expectations will ever yield?

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-18-2019 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
cdbeach19.00
      02-18-2019, 07:51 AM   #19
ctestb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

FYI, I work in tech and found this vehicle to be - interesting. If you would like, you can contact me directly and we can "re-setup" your vehicle. I had to do it about 3-4x after receiving mine. I had huge remorse and had to post here to find out some frustrating issues, but now that I figured it all out, I LOVE my vehicle - my fiancee might be ordering an x5 as well because we love it so much.

I went to the dealership a few days ago and worked with their genusises and helped them learn the iDrive and the PROPER way to set up the vehicle.

I will say - you need to set EVERYTHING up correct from the start, or you will have certain issues within iDrive. Like, everything/ their code is linear and bases it's foundation on each other. Again, if you want to pm me your info, I can swap numbers with you (or anyone else for that matter) and help setup everything (iDrive, Apple CarPlay, Key Card, steering intervention, etc.)

Very sorry to read you are not happy, I promise it's a great vehicle! (I am in no way affiliated or sponsored by BMW btw, lol).
'16 M235i Coupe /// Mineral White - Traded
'14 F10 /// Carbon Black - Traded
Appreciate 4
      02-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #20
ScotsWhaHaeWi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
That's a shame you feel that way, I feel the complete opposite than you do, but life's too short to spend with a car you don't love, so take the loss and move on. Hopefully, you'll like the next one more

As for the A/C and remembering that you didn't have the patience to sit through set up on delivery... What is your (now hidden)"red/blue" wheel set to? You're in TX, put it on blue...it's hot there!
Yes, I’ll be moving on. I admire the tolerance some on these forums have for what’s essentially some beta testing of a supremely expensive product. This forum is a fantastic wealth of knowledge from enthusiasts. But it’s likely not representative of the average BMW buyer and having to trawl through topics to find answers to things ought to be embarrassing to BMW.

The A/C issue surprised me. It’s never really an issue on modern cars and my previous BMWs have had fantastic AC. It was a pleasant 70ish day on the long drive and we found ourselves asking wtf is going on with this AC? Any other car we’ve had with auto AC we just set it to 69 (mid fan speed) and forget. This car we had it set down at 64/5 with high fan speed. It blew cold then. Almost like a calibration issue. On a 70 degree day, any modern auto AC should be barely audible and should cool very easily.
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2019, 08:06 AM   #21
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post

Yes, I'll be moving on. I admire the tolerance some on these forums have for what's essentially some beta testing of a supremely expensive product. This forum is a fantastic wealth of knowledge from enthusiasts. But it's likely not representative of the average BMW buyer and having to trawl through topics to find answers to things ought to be embarrassing to BMW.

The A/C issue surprised me. It's never really an issue on modern cars and my previous BMWs have had fantastic AC. It was a pleasant 70ish day on the long drive and we found ourselves asking wtf is going on with this AC? Any other car we've had with auto AC we just set it to 69 (mid fan speed) and forget. This car we had it set down at 64/5 with high fan speed. It blew cold then. Almost like a calibration issue. On a 70 degree day, any modern auto AC should be barely audible and should cool very easily.
Some hard lessons learned here.

Seems to me you are so soured on the car, not BMW or anyone else will be able to eve make it right for you and restore your confidence on the product.

My advice, cut your losses NOW!

The longer around you wait with this vehicle, the greater the financial hit.

Next time do your homework and spend quality time test driving would be candidates. No car is perfect but hopefully you will find something that is more to your liking.

If you own the car, list it for sale. If you lease, you can probably list it in lease trade or do a lease swap. Don't waste your money on a heap that you have deep hatred for. Life is short to get on those hang ups.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 08:09 AM   #22
mynewx5
Private First Class
Rep

40i Power is meh? You lost me there. Have you even tried Sport mode? Power delivery is so smooth and the transmission shifts are about as close to a DCT as you can get.
Appreciate 1
DPHTOY149.00