United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2791 View Post
Hi,

How can I get a VIN number in Canada? Any idea?
Ask your dealer or BMW Genius webchat. VIN is only assigned at 5050 then moves straight to confirmed by production control 5055

Last edited by speuk; 04-25-2019 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #68
grahamcoxon
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 3.0D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
2 weeks to get from Southampton to York - what are they doing, pushing it there??
Quote:
Originally Posted by speuk View Post
Blimey that is a long time from 9650! I would give them some earache about the wait and lack of proactive work by dealer....They could have collected it from Southampton using their own transporters etc. if they think you are going to only give them 3 out of 5 on the bmw survey they will soon jump. Salesman looses his commission if they don't get a 4 or 5 out of 5.

I got them to throw in a full tank of fuel and GardX protection but without any GardX guarantee.
The dealer has been really good throughout so I’m reluctant to kick up a storm. To be fair, it’s only a week/10 days later than originally planned so I don’t have a huge amount to complain about.

Two weeks is a lot of time though!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 03:11 PM   #69
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamcoxon View Post
The dealer has been really good throughout so I’m reluctant to kick up a storm. To be fair, it’s only a week/10 days later than originally planned so I don’t have a huge amount to complain about.

Two weeks is a lot of time though!
Yes I think you could have a gentle moan about 2 weeks from Southampton, happy for you to say you have just discovered that Nick Jimson at Cooper Teesside arranged for Inchape logistics to pick your friends G05 up from Southampton so it was in Stockton two days after it came off the ship..... then ask if he can either speed up delivery or throw in Winter mats or GardX treatment (not bothered about the paperwork for that) full tank of fuel etc. I would add in a joking way " I assume you want a 5 star review with BMW?" I paid for my winter mats but they did them for £100
2019 G05 3.0d MSport in Artic Grey/ Black 2015 F15 3.0d MSport/ 2014 F15 3.0d MSport, Carbon Black with Ivory White/ Black interior. 2015 f23 2 series convertible in Glacier Silver / Black. 2010 F07 5GT SE Sapphire Black with Ivory White/black interior
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #70
bmw2791
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive40i

Hi,

Being a newbie, just wanted to know where can I track the production of my vehicle? I got VIN from the dealer in Canada. The dealer said that they have no idea how I can track my car online.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 04:04 PM   #71
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi,

Being a newbie, just wanted to know where can I track the production of my vehicle? I got VIN from the dealer in Canada. The dealer said that they have no idea how I can track my car online.
I know the US guys can get online updates but here in the UK we have to rely on dealers and BMW online web chat. If you go to the build my BMW page on the web a BMW Genius chat should pop up. Just ask them if they can give you the latest status code for your new X5 order VIN (last 7 digits) they sometimes try and avoid giving you thecstaus code by just saying it is due to be at your dealer in week X but if you press them or ask if it has reached code xxxx they will tell you.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 04:08 PM   #72
bmw2791
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive40i

Got it. Thank you so much. Let me check.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 04:10 PM   #73
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Got it. Thank you so much. Let me check.
Let us know how you get on
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 05:17 AM   #74
BMW lifer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 40i 2019

So, it seems like there's a load of us in UK getting new X5s in early May. Let's compare notes:

1. My car is MSport 40i with most but not all of the packages/options. Arctic Grey with Coffee Merino seats.

2. Based on advice, I'm getting the dealer to leave my paintwork untouched so I can take car direct to a detailer to clean/apply cermaic coating

3. I haven't decided which ceramic and other treatments to use. I'm considering Gyeon Duraflex, Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra + EXO4 and IGL Kenzo - any recommendations?

4. I am concerned about state of rear seats (see posts by BigSanj) but believe BMW has forced a change of leather supplier. I may reject car if wrinkles are too bad

5. After ceramic, I will get a Thinkware F800Pro 2-channel dashcam installed, as reviews/feedback on BMW dashcam are poor.

Looking forward to seeing what other May owners plan for their "pride & joy"!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 05:22 AM   #75
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW lifer View Post
So, it seems like there's a load of us in UK getting new X5s in early May. Let's compare notes:

1. My car is MSport 40i with most but not all of the packages/options. Arctic Grey with Coffee Merino seats.

2. Based on advice, I'm getting the dealer to leave my paintwork untouched so I can take car direct to a detailer to clean/apply cermaic coating

3. I haven't decided which ceramic and other treatments to use. I'm considering Gyeon Duraflex, Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra + EXO4 and IGL Kenzo - any recommendations?

4. I am concerned about state of rear seats (see posts by BigSanj) but believe BMW has forced a change of leather supplier. I may reject car if wrinkles are too bad

5. After ceramic, I will get a Thinkware F800Pro 2-channel dashcam installed, as reviews/feedback on BMW dashcam are poor.

Hey, what's the status of yours currently? Still at 9650 with 07/05 delivery date?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 05:24 AM   #76
AdamL
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M Sport

Quote:

40i M Sport Phytonic with coffee vernasca and fineline wood also arriving in late May so might be on the same boat as yours!

My plans are straight into storage where I cannot Touch it until Sep due to only being able to drive it in the UK on UK plates for two months prior to exporting it to Germany! The wait is going to kill me.

Following that, a month of running in in the UK prior to driving it to my new home in Germany via the Autobahns 🤗.

Also planning on getting a dash cam and have heard good thinks about Thinkware and Black View.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 05:38 AM   #77
BMW lifer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hey, what's the status of yours currently? Still at 9650 with 07/05 delivery date?
My car is at my dealer now, not PDI'd. Earliest I can organise for collection is mid-May, due to other commitments.

What's your plan eaglesrest? Are you looking at paint protection?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 05:40 AM   #78
BMW lifer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamL View Post
40i M Sport Phytonic with coffee vernasca and fineline wood also arriving in late May so might be on the same boat as yours!

My plans are straight into storage where I cannot Touch it until Sep due to only being able to drive it in the UK on UK plates for two months prior to exporting it to Germany! The wait is going to kill me.

Following that, a month of running in in the UK prior to driving it to my new home in Germany via the Autobahns 🤗.

Also planning on getting a dash cam and have heard good thinks about Thinkware and Black View.
Hi Adam

I've heard bad things about BlackVue support to their dealers, so have used that to decide on Thinkware. Several installers have recently moved from BV to TW apparently.

Are you looking at any paint protection?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 05:46 AM   #79
AdamL
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamL View Post

Hi Adam

I've heard bad things about BlackVue support to their dealers, so have used that to decide on Thinkware. Several installers have recently moved from BV to TW apparently.

Are you looking at any paint protection?
Thought about paint protection but again there are pros and cons. It is great for keeping the car looking nice but then means you have to be super careful washing it and if he dealer errantly washes your car whilst it is in the shop they could ruin what is an extremely expensive product. I will more likely leave as is and then wax it myself using a high quality carnuba wax to keep the paint protected. I would also love to apply partial ppt but again just buying the car was a wedge enough and I don't have the spare cash at the mo to get that applied.

Thanks for the gen on Black View; I will look at the product you suggest.

I can't wait to get the car it will certainly be a bit of a step up from my Volvo V70!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 05:56 AM   #80
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
My car is at my dealer now, not PDI'd. Earliest I can organise for collection is mid-May, due to other commitments.

What's your plan eaglesrest? Are you looking at paint protection?
Thanks.

I'm getting ProtectX applied simply because it was included in the deal. I suspect it's snake oil but can't hurt right? It's going to get stone chips, scratches, car park dings, bird poop, kid spew, etc. Not sure how much protection anything can offer against that long-term assault

1. I'm getting a 30d MSport in sapphire with ivory vernasca. I haven't got Msport Plus, Comfort Plus, B&W or acoustic glass

4. We've chatted about this before -not too concerned about the seats unless they impact comfort. Even then it's the kids that will be sat there so they can put up with it or walk

5. Might get a dashcam - some of those youtube videos are insane!

Last edited by archivedaccount; 04-26-2019 at 06:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 06:03 AM   #81
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks.

I'm getting ProtectX applied simply because it was included in the deal. I suspect it's snake oil but can't hurt right?

It's going to get stone chips, scratches, car park dings, bird poop, kid spew, etc. Not sure how much protection anything can offer against that long-term assault
Yep, don't pay BMW for paint protection! Like eaglesrest I got mine thrown in. If you can't get them to prep it with a nano wax product for free then take it to an Indy you'll get a vastly superior job for a third of the price. I got free GardX treatment inside and out but on the basis I didn't have the GardX guarantee paperwork. Previously I have bought bmw protect and seal kit on eBay for about £20 and done it myself. Mine also gets high mileage in all weathers so I cannot keep it in showroom condition for long.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 08:16 AM   #82
BMW lifer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yep, don't pay BMW for paint protection! Like eaglesrest I got mine thrown in. If you can't get them to prep it with a nano wax product for free then take it to an Indy you'll get a vastly superior job for a third of the price. I got free GardX treatment inside and out but on the basis I didn't have the GardX guarantee paperwork. Previously I have bought bmw protect and seal kit on eBay for about £20 and done it myself. Mine also gets high mileage in all weathers so I cannot keep it in showroom condition for long.
I've done more than a little research on paint protection and it's clear that normal dealer preparation involved little more than washing off dirt/grease from transport (and causing swirls/scratches in the process) than applying the polymer ProtectX which remains soft and offers little/no protection. Maybe I'm goingt too far on this, but as I'm paying for (and keeping) the car for 5+ years I want to give it a chance to still look & feel good for as long as possible.

I've used BMW's own protection on all my previous BMWs and have never been impressed. If you or eaglesrest decide subsequently to have ceramic, you'll pay more to have BMW's stuff removed and then the paint corrected/polished before they can begin application.

Each to his/her own of course.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 08:56 AM   #83
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

It's like when you get a new iPhone. You treat it like it's made of china and will smash into pieces the first knock it gets. I've even had phones i've kept the plastic screen on front and back for a few days.

Give it a week or so though and it's in the pocket with the keys and the coins

I'll be the same with this car if/when it finally arrives. Treat it like cotton wool for a few weeks finding the furthest car parking space with no-one either side, hand-washing weekly, scolding the kids if they open their doors before I'm stood next to em etc. Then a few weeks later normal service resumes and its back to the £6 car wash at the bottom of the street

I'm more into the tech etc. My check-list for hand-over:
- is it on the latest software - ECU and media
-what brand of tyres is it going to come with. assuming summer tyres
- is connected drive setup and working
- does remote view work
- is there a NFC card with it

Last edited by archivedaccount; 04-26-2019 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 09:05 AM   #84
idgam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: the wife mad!!!!!

Quote:

Car has arrived at my dealership and currently due to collect early next week.

My car is a M50d, Phytonic Blue, Coffee Merino Seats with Open pore brown trim.

All options apart from B & W sound (not sure why i left this off)

Dealer is applying protection in and out. Not sure if i will go for full ceramic protection as the car ends up in car washes quite a bit.

I had a dashcam in the last car (Nextbase 520gw i think) and theat was pretty decent for the money. Will probably do that route again.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 11:31 AM   #85
grahamcoxon
Private
Rep

Mines a 3.0d M Sport with 742 wheels and rear privacy glass. Black interior with grey dash inserts, can’t remember the name but it’s not the mesh one.

And that’s it!

It’s the first car I’ve owned for 29 years, all company prior to this, so I didn’t buy options that I felt I could live without. Time will tell if I’m right with my choice.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #86
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Mines a 3.0d M Sport with 742 wheels and rear privacy glass. Black interior with grey dash inserts, can’t remember the name but it’s not the mesh one.

And that’s it!

It’s the first car I’ve owned for 29 years, all company prior to this, so I didn’t buy options that I felt I could live without. Time will tell if I’m right with my choice.
What colour paintwork Graham?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 02:40 PM   #87
grahamcoxon
Private
Rep

Quote:
What colour paintwork Graham?
Sorry, Phytonic Blue.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 02:50 PM   #88
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Sorry, Phytonic Blue.
Very nice!

I limited my spec as you don't really get anymore when you come to sell.

Arctic Grey / Black interior
MSport plus pack with 742 alloys
Technology Pack.

I also went for a "stock vehicle" as it is easier to get a decent discount. That said my stock vehicle hadn't been built when I bought it but was at 5055 so about to be built and spec was fixed.
Appreciate 0