BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #1
DavidB_UK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 730d

Connected Drive send destination

Maybe I’m being a bit dumb, but I’m trying to work out how to send a destination to my shiny new X5. I can do it fine through the Connected Drive app and it says it was sent to vehicle, but when I get in the car there’s nowhere for me to find the message and when I start up the Nav it doesn’t pick up the message nor even the destination from my connected phone.

Is there a setting or something I have to enable for this? In my previous 7 series and my wife’s (much cheaper) 2 series active tourer this all works perfectly!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 09:24 AM   #2
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

Have you created / logged into your profile in the car? Same you are using with the app when sending destination? Car is not a "final recipient" of your communications with / from the app. Car \ Profile is the end destination No profile - no end recipient that would handle your communications initiated from the app.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 09:28 AM   #3
DavidB_UK
Enlisted Member
Rep

I think I have! I can see the car in connected drive no problem and can see it’s status, fuel level etc. so I’d assume the car is also logged in so it can show that. Can someone remind me how to do this just in case I’ve messed something up!?
Attached Images

Last edited by DavidB_UK; 08-17-2019 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I think the vehicle info will show in the app even if your driver profile is not linked to your CD account. You will want to make sure you are logged in on your profile. When you get into the X5, try changing the profile to guest and then back to yours. It should ask you to log in if it is not set up to do so.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
DavidB_UK
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks guys . I ended up going for the nuclear option of resetting/deleting everything and starting again and it worked. I suddenly have a new option in my nav screen for received destinations 👍
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #6
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB_UK View Post
Thanks guys . I ended up going for the nuclear option of resetting/deleting everything and starting again and it worked. I suddenly have a new option in my nav screen for received destinations ��
I use the send to car a lot.
Just to let you know, sometimes the services are down and its not you X5 that is being difficult. It works for you now, before going nuclear with the entire system, do a 40 second hold of the volume knob to just reboot the iDrive. Rebooting just the iDrive will be a common goto fix for the new iDrive 7.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #7
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but have a related question.

I noticed yesterday the Connected Drive site's description of sending a destination as referring to creating and sending a route, which I hoped meant you could create a mult-waypoint route within the connected drive app and then send it to your X5, equivalent to creating multi-waypoint routes within iDrive. After looking within the app and finding only a function to send a destination, I talked to a BMW genius who advised that is all you can do - no capability within the app to send a multi-waypoint route.

Is there anyway to create a multi-waypoint app, on your phone or, better yet, your computer, and send it to your X5? I recall using the Google Maps 'send to car' function on my F15 years ago, though don't recall if this included a multi-waypoint route. It's easy enough to create a multi-waypoint route within Google Maps, but is there anyway to send it to the G05 X5?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #8
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Blue

I don't know if it is widespread issue, but "send to car" has not worked for me the past couple days, but in the past was functioning properly.

I was considering deleting / reinstalling app. I already did a reboot if iDrive with no effect.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #9
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep

Some answers to my question above.

Investigating Google Maps 'send to car' function I found a specific statement that it only includes sending one destination to the car, not a multi-waypoint route.

I did find, however, the site bmw-routes.com/uk (there appears to be sites for other countries as well, but no the USA). This has just the function I'm looking for, allowing one to create a multi-waypoint route in an interface that is similar to Google Maps, then either send it directly to your car, after logging into Connected Drive, or save it to a USB drive and then importing it to Nav after plugging the USB drive into your vehicle.

Unfortunately, none of this will work for us here in the USA since; 1) you cannot log into your CD account on this site (the CD accounts appears to be country specific) and, 2) the site won't create routes outside of the UK (since it's the /uk site).

The obvious question remaining...why hasn't BMW USA implemented this feature here? Or if they have, where can one find it?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermato View Post
I don't know if it is widespread issue, but "send to car" has not worked for me the past couple days, but in the past was functioning properly.

I was considering deleting / reinstalling app. I already did a reboot if iDrive with no effect.
After sending my post above I sent a route to the X5 since I’m at our daughter’s and want to stop by the BMW dealer in Denver to check out Ametrin and Tanzanite Blue. Anyways, the send didn’t work for me either so perhaps the service is down.

As an aside, I was a little disappointed in the Ametrin but really liked the Tanzanite, that may be my next one.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 10:37 PM   #11
marcosg
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 G05 X5 M60i

In Australia, if you have the Connected App installed on the iPhone, you can share a destination from Maps or Google Maps to your vehicle using the standard Share feature of the iPhone. Not sure if the same feature is available on Android.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #12
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beermato View Post

After sending my post above I sent a route to the X5 since I’m at our daughter’s and want to stop by the BMW dealer in Denver to check out Ametrin and Tanzanite Blue. Anyways, the send didn’t work for me either so perhaps the service is down.

As an aside, I was a little disappointed in the Ametrin but really liked the Tanzanite, that may be my next one.
Same with me during my long drive recently. What works consistently though is listing all of my destinations as favorites in the CD Destinations app - they appeared also in the IDrive Nav favorites. So I just selected the target destination in iDrive.
      08-18-2019, 09:16 AM   #13
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
Same with me during my long drive recently. What works consistently though is listing all of my destinations as favorites in the CD Destinations app - they appeared also in the IDrive Nav favorites. So I just selected the target destination in iDrive.
Great Colorado minds think alike. That is exactly what I did for our vacation. I created a favorite for all of the destinations in reverse order of the way were were hitting them so they were in the correct order in the X5. At night I deleted the place we were so in the morning the destination was first on the list.
Appreciate 1
eagle_bmw182.50
      08-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #14
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
Great Colorado minds think alike. That is exactly what I did for our vacation. I created a favorite for all of the destinations in reverse order of the way were were hitting them so they were in the correct order in the X5. At night I deleted the place we were so in the morning the destination was first on the list.
... and you pushed it one more step forward the phone coverage is mostly absent in the mountains but the Nav is always there so I'm happy with it.
      08-18-2019, 11:55 PM   #15
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but have a related question.

I noticed yesterday the Connected Drive site's description of sending a destination as referring to creating and sending a route, which I hoped meant you could create a mult-waypoint route within the connected drive app and then send it to your X5, equivalent to creating multi-waypoint routes within iDrive. After looking within the app and finding only a function to send a destination, I talked to a BMW genius who advised that is all you can do - no capability within the app to send a multi-waypoint route.

Is there anyway to create a multi-waypoint app, on your phone or, better yet, your computer, and send it to your X5? I recall using the Google Maps 'send to car' function on my F15 years ago, though don't recall if this included a multi-waypoint route. It's easy enough to create a multi-waypoint route within Google Maps, but is there anyway to send it to the G05 X5?
I think the easiest way is to send each waypoint separately as a destination from the CD app. When the car receives the message it asks if you want to set it as the final destination, or add as a stop / waypoint on the existing route.

So if my theory is correct, you would send:

1) Final Destination
2) Waypoint 1
3) Waypoint 2... etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:37 AM   #16
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
I think the easiest way is to send each waypoint separately as a destination from the CD app. When the car receives the message it asks if you want to set it as the final destination, or add as a stop / waypoint on the existing route.

1) Final Destination
2) Waypoint 1
3) Waypoint 2... etc.
Thanks for the suggestion. With the F15, sent destinations were found in iDrive under Messages. Is that still the case with the G05?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 08:17 PM   #17
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post

1) Final Destination
2) Waypoint 1
3) Waypoint 2... etc.
Thanks for the suggestion. With the F15, sent destinations were found in iDrive under Messages. Is that still the case with the G05?
Possibly - I have only ever accepted them immediately when they appear on screen, which usually happens within a few seconds of sending from the app. There have been occasions however when it has taken a few minutes and sometimes it never appears at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #18
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

There is also an option under Nav for Received Destinations and they should show up there.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:22 PM   #19
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Mine is completely inoperative and I'm signed in via my vehicle driver profile... 😡
      08-20-2019, 07:40 AM   #20
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
Mine is completely inoperative and I'm signed in via my vehicle driver profile... 😡
My send stopped working back in May and when I tried it the other day it still didn't work but creating favorites and accessing them that way works fine, have you tried that?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #21
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Quote:
Then say "hey, BMW, navigation, favorite, 3 (or whatever number your destination is located under favorites).
Appreciate 1
TurtleBoy13142.00
      08-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #22
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
My send stopped working back in May and when I tried it the other day it still didn't work but creating favorites and accessing them that way works fine, have you tried that?
My normal use-case for this feature is looking up an address of somewhere I'm going while not in the vehicle, and sending it so that it is in the vehicle and ready to go when I leave. Typically, these are not addresses that I frequent often. Worked great on my F15 X5. Unfortunately, no joy on the new vehicle. I just do voice entry of the address for the time being.