BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #1
big pimp
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d & Dakar Yellow E46 M3

Hi from Northern Ireland & my M50d

Hi guys, new member from Northern Ireland here, and I've just picked up my new G05 M50d.

I have done a bit of a write up so I hope you all don't mind me rambling on!

So, this happened quite unexpectedly!

I’ve had my Jaguar F-Pace 3.0d for a couple of years now, and have loved it, loved how it looks, drives, and whilst the engine is a dirty derv it is still a twin turbo derv running north of 300bhp.
Coming home from a holiday in Dubai though, put me in a wild notion of changing the F-Pace to something different.

There were a few contenders for the replacement, and I came very close to going for an F-Pace SVR, but kind of fancied a change. Don’t get me wrong, the SVR was a special animal, but 550bhp would lead me into trouble and, I always have liked something a bit bigger.

Whilst I have no need for a 7 seater, having the option of 7 seats is great when we go somewhere with friends or family, or have the need to take the kids and their friends on some of their hobbies etc.

That led me looking into the new Land Rover Discovery 5 which I really do like (although the offset rear number plate is still a bone of contention) but everything else was really promising.

Another option was the Audi Q7 but they’re not available in SQ7 guise any longer (at least for now) and to be honest, I’m still not sure on the new Q7. I think the last model was a great looking vehicle and looks better than the new shape.

I briefly looked at the new Q8 but wasn’t struck on it. Whilst the exterior is quirky, the interior (for me at least) was a major let down.

As nice as the Volvo XC90 is, for me it still lacks the engine it deserves!

That had me also looking at the new X5, but originally in the 40i petrol version, as, the 30d has ‘only’ 260bhp, and I wasn’t really interested in moving from a smaller and more agile F-Pace into a larger X5 which wouldn’t be as quick.

A call into my local BMW dealership - Bavarian BMW in Belfast, and a chat with a sales guy had me looking into the daddy of them - the M50d - a quad turbo’d 3 litre in-line 6 producing 400bhp with 560lb/ft of torque, and even though I’ve only done around 100 miles so far you can really feel the punch. And hear it too. Ok, as with all modern BMWs some of the noise is acoustically enhanced, but for a diesel it definitely sounds the part, along with the optional M performance exhaust which has been fitted to this.

Speaking of options, this one has been pretty well specced.

I went for Black Sapphire metallic paint (I love black, and own my own company which supplies car cleaning products, so maintaining black isn't an issue!) and it has the individual extended leather option ticked

Optional Equipment includes sun protection glass, integral active steering, 2 axle air suspension, electrically folding tow bar, the ‘sky lounge’ panoramic roof option with LEDs intertwined throughout it, the third row seating which I wanted and the crafted clarity glass application on start/stop button, gear stick and other interior parts.

It also has comfort access, comfort seats (which are genuinely amazing) front and rear seat heating, sunblinds in the rear and heated and cooled cup holders to keep your drinks hot or cold! Heads up display is something I didn’t think I’d like but is actually brilliant.

It also has the visibility package ticked with the all important BMW laser lights with high beam assistant which is the weirdest and coolest thing I’ve had in any car! The way they dart over the road when you meet an oncoming car is class.

There is loads of other things that I’m just getting used to but it really is a different league of vehicle, even compared to both Range Rover Sports I have had before, a 2010 model and the more recent 2014 model.

First port of call was it went to my friend and professional detailer PMG Autocare here in Belfast for the jedis to work their magic.
They carried out their new car prep and then applied gTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra. They removed the wheels and applied C5 on the wheels and (the ever problematic hubs), coated the glass too, and gave it a total interior package too and their work is astounding. The work these guys do is really on another level.
After that a visit to Pentagon Glasstec for window tinting the driver and passenger front windows finished it off. Until I got it home and changed the front grill to an all black one. Don’t get me wrong I love the cerium grey M50d only trim, but the grills are huge. This makes it at least not just so in your face.

Plans - just drive it and enjoy it. Possibly a stage one map in the future which takes it to around 470bhp, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I’ll post the pictures which the detailers took, as I’ve still not really taken many of it, and his were fantastic.

Thanks for reading and any questions, fire away!
Attached Images

Appreciate 12
Auricom4349.50
marcosg24.50
MystroX56247.50
jphcbpa299.50
SJW55.00
Wild Blue3676.50
JustChris17427.50
cjack29.50
      08-19-2019, 08:09 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Congratulations, looks great. Good luck, enjoy and be safe.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
jeffnin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX50 Black/Chestnut

Beautiful looking car! There’s nothing better than freshly detailed Black Sapphire paint. Most of my BMWs were ordered in BS and I love how the paint changes from black to charcoal depending on the light. Enjoy.
      08-20-2019, 02:39 AM   #4
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 40i Msport, X6 M50D

Wow, detailing looks amazing, almost worth the trip over the Irish Sea! Random question on the pano roof - I have this and from what I can see it is light coming from around the edges that is caught/reflected by the what flecks. All a bit disappointing as it doesn't seem like there are actual LEDs in there?
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2019, 03:26 AM   #5
big pimp
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

yeah, you're absolutely correct - the light comes from the edges and not throughout the flecks / fibres which is a shame as when they are there already it would have been relatively easy i'm sure to add in a fibre optic cable
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 06:20 AM   #6
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Beautiful ride! I have the exact same ceramic coating on my Carbon black 50i, It works WONDERS. Congrats!
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2019, 07:05 AM   #7
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

So, so nice! That Black Sapphire is such a beautiful color!
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2019, 02:10 PM   #8
darioenter
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d f10

I also ordered m50d with air suspension. How would You compare the ride quality with the other cars You had (related to comfort, is the ride hard on bad roads) ? Or maybe even compare to 30d?
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2019, 07:04 PM   #9
big pimp
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darioenter View Post
I also ordered m50d with air suspension. How would You compare the ride quality with the other cars You had (related to comfort, is the ride hard on bad roads) ? Or maybe even compare to 30d?
I'd put it a lot more comfortable than my Jaguar F-Pace which was on steel springs.

Prior to the Jaguar I drove a 2014 Range Rover Sport which rode on air suspension too. The BMW definitely feels a bit more 'wallowy' when in comfort mode, but when I change to Sport Plus it is a lot stiffer and handles so much better.

The air system is definitely very comfortable for normal day to day driving

I drove a mixture of a class roads and b class roads today (b class are single lane in not great condition), and it felt very stable.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:00 PM   #10
Mrv10
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 m6

Looks amazing!!!
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2019, 10:39 PM   #11
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

You are one very lucky person! I wish that vehicle was available in the US... 😢
      09-28-2019, 04:04 AM   #12
big pimp
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

small update after having this for almost 6 weeks now.

It's phenomenal - I've only done approx 1500 miles but already the engine seems to be loosening up a bit, and it is so torquey its a joy to drive.

I find I am driving in Sport+ mode nearly all the time, because first of all it sounds amazing, but also the suspension in comfort mode can sometimes be a bit too 'rolly'

but it is seriously impressive. The seats are some of the most comfortable I have ever rested my ass in, and the laser headlights are unreal.

I had really good LED headlights in my Jag, but these are just fantastic - their responsiveness to other traffic as well as the extended range is great.

Other cool features, like the lights coming on as I approach at night and have the key on my person, as well as the entrance lights buried into the side skirts are brilliant.

I think I am going to get some paint protection film applied inside the door on the side skirts as my children use them as steps to get in and out, and I can imagine them getting marked badly over my ownership

but yeah - the M50d is just something else.

and I have seen some stage 1 tuning boxes offering an extra 60 - 70bhp as well as another mountain of torque......
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      09-28-2019, 07:00 AM   #13
imyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50D

Just seen this, excellent write up.

I am in the process of deciding if I want to get mine PPF and ceramic coated, my only nag is I will most likely return this in 3yrs for a newer model hence why spend the money. I don't think I will do PPF but maybe ceramic coating only.

What did surprise me however is you changed the front grille to black, I was not expecting that. Can you share some more pics of the front.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by big pimp View Post
small update after having this for almost 6 weeks now.

It's phenomenal - I've only done approx 1500 miles but already the engine seems to be loosening up a bit, and it is so torquey its a joy to drive.

I find I am driving in Sport+ mode nearly all the time, because first of all it sounds amazing, but also the suspension in comfort mode can sometimes be a bit too 'rolly'

but it is seriously impressive. The seats are some of the most comfortable I have ever rested my ass in, and the laser headlights are unreal.

I had really good LED headlights in my Jag, but these are just fantastic - their responsiveness to other traffic as well as the extended range is great.

Other cool features, like the lights coming on as I approach at night and have the key on my person, as well as the entrance lights buried into the side skirts are brilliant.

I think I am going to get some paint protection film applied inside the door on the side skirts as my children use them as steps to get in and out, and I can imagine them getting marked badly over my ownership

but yeah - the M50d is just something else.

and I have seen some stage 1 tuning boxes offering an extra 60 - 70bhp as well as another mountain of torque......
      09-29-2019, 04:16 AM   #14
big pimp
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

hey, of course.

I didn't go with PPF, as to be honest, I've never required it on any car I've had. Ceramic coatings have always worked fine for me, but then again, I do love cleaning and maintaining my cars anyway.

Where I will add a strip of PPF is on the inner door sills as my kids use them as a step for getting in and out!

I'm going out to clean it shortly, so will snap a couple more pics of the front.
Don't get me wrong - I loved the cerium finish, but it does mark very easily, and I think the black grill at the front makes it look a lot more stealth.

Incidentally, i got mine from SSDD motorsport, here in the UK at a very good price, and literally, 2 minutes had it changed.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 05:02 PM   #15
big pimp
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Here you go mate
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 05:49 AM   #16
imyb
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by big pimp View Post
Here you go mate
      09-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #17
darioenter
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d f10

how many miles you can do with a single tank on a highway? My 50d sould arrive in next 20 days. Cost (obviously) are not important that much, but Im not a fan of non stop filling the tank
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 06:03 PM   #18
imyb
Private First Class
Rep

I have not yet done a full on motorway trip, will do one in a couple of weeks. I am estimating around 400-450 miles.
When I filled up the tank it said 545mile range but it's never going to do that with my style of driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darioenter View Post
how many miles you can do with a single tank on a highway? My 50d sould arrive in next 20 days. Cost (obviously) are not important that much, but Im not a fan of non stop filling the tank
      09-30-2019, 06:14 PM   #19
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

It looks like the inner part of the active grill still has cerium, which I think looks great and adds just a touch of contrast? Was that intentional and how were you able to accomplish that? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 06:15 PM   #20
zacklee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 F15 UK

Congratulations, looks fabs. Enjoy your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 07:09 PM   #21
big pimp
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah, the inner part of the active slats is still cerium so gives a lovely contrast
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 10:03 PM   #22
kluu
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 (G05)

Congrats!

Congrats on the great looking black beauty. Thanks for the insights and sharing.
Appreciate 1