M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Blue and White M850i Coupes at Goodwood

07-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #45
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Java Green M5 anyone?
I dig it.... for a while only. Begging for personal plates: MIAMI in that color.
      07-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #46
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Agreed! I'd like to be able to go a double date in the same car.
That's pretty ridiculous. And it's not about "long road trips" SMDH, it's about "practicality". Hell, they may as well as just created a 2 Seater and saved space and weight.
Thats what the GC is for

I think they could have made it about 50mm longer in the wheelbase though, that'd be the better option I think
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 09:39 PM   #47
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
This design just does not work at all for me and I'm puzzled by why they took this direction. I don't see BMW DNA in it. Looks like it was designed by a panel of executives rather than designers.
Exexutives do choose the design, from a battery of designs, like every other manufscturer.
No executives don't design cars. They may choose but they don't design. Maybe you didn't read my words. Mine was a hypothetical thought that they may have over-controlled the design process since the 8 looks so uninspired and uninteresting...
      08-18-2018, 12:02 AM   #48
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormchaser7 View Post
Rear diffuser is too much. Back end looks more like the X series
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
I can't believe how ugly the back end of these things are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunker View Post
Man, the back end is really a garbled mess, isn’t it?
Yes, to all of you, they just messed up the rear end of the car. It just kills it for me. Maybe in black, it will look better.

I also don't like the size of the taillights (too big), as they protrude into the profile of the car in a funky way. It's not appealing.

They just tried to hard, and missed.

The old 8 looks better, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #49
Galex999
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e Alpine White

The earlier concept rear was so much better and elegant. BMW totally ruined it. It's almost like their top designers did the original concept and bunch of interns who are fan of Transformer movies took it over.... I know that it's very hard to keep the original concept styling into production model, but it CAN be done as we've seen on the Lexus LC500 which nearly look identical to its concept model.

IMO BMW hasn't made a great looking car since current 4 series GC (Yes, I own one), which has near perfect proportion in every angles with tons of practicality. 2 series looks like its rear got chopped off. New 5 series is as predictable boring looking as it can be for a 4 door sedan...same goes for the M5 that has no unique sheet metal body panels of its own. And I won't even mention the new upcoming X7 which looks like a mortuary wagon. The new X5 looks pretty good at least. I still don't know what to say about the new Z4...I definitely need to see it in person.

The 8 series supposed to be their "avant garde" design flagship but I see no "wow" factor in its design. Even its interior is so plain looking. If 8 series rival is Mercedes S Class Coupe, BMW has already lost...at least in the styling department. I hope 8 series GC will be different.

Last edited by Galex999; 09-11-2018 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #50
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galex999 View Post
The earlier concept rear was so much better and elegant. BMW totally ruined it. It's almost like their top designers did the original concept and bunch of interns who are fan of Transformer movies took it over.... I know that it's very hard to keep the original concept styling into production model, but it CAN be done as we've seen on the Lexus LC500 which nearly look identical to its concept model.

IMO BMW hasn't made a great looking car since current 4 series GC (Yes, I own one), which has near perfect proportion in every angles with tons of practicality. 2 series looks like its rear got chopped off. New 5 series is as predictable boring looking as it can be for a 4 door sedan...same goes for the M5 that has no unique sheet metal body panels of its own. And I won't even mention the new upcoming X7 which looks like a mortuary wagon. The new X5 looks pretty good at least. I still don't know what to say about the new Z4...I definitely need to see it in person.

The 8 series supposed to be their "avant garde" design flagship but I see no "wow" factor in its design. Even its interior is so plain looking. If 8 series rival is Mercedes S Class Coupe, BMW has already lost...at least in the styling department. I hope 8 series GC will be different.

8 series "GC" will be as different from the coupe as the 6 "GC" is from the 6 coupe. Don't except the front, rear or interior to look different. The only real difference you'll see is with the doors, back seats, side profile, roofline and a rather goofy hoffmeister kink.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 12:00 PM   #51
MELLOWYELLOW06
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 & 2022 X& M50i

I can see everyones points and criticism, as I see exactly what they are saying.

Very similar to what was being said about the 2015 "S550" Mustang before it was introduced.

But when it comes out, people, the same people hating on the design, will be the ones buying one.

Im sure its going to be a big hit and cant wait to start seeing some modified/personalized versions.