BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-16-2024, 08:23 AM   #1
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Manual Trunk Release

Just seeing in my recent feeds about dead Tesla's en masses , arctic blitz, etc. I recall the previous thread discussing it with no real conclusion.

Is there a manual release for the rear hatch/trunk ?
I can't seem to find any relevant info confirming there is one
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 11:54 AM   #2
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...4379632#page10

Page 13 has some information about the emergency release for the lower tailgate. However, I’m unsure if this means the upper tailgate can be manually lifted once the lower tailgate’s locking mechanism is released.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 12:47 PM   #3
chefwong
Major
Rep

I'm going to have to poke around tonight to see if the access is via the side panel covers or rear facing plastic which is not on my radar of what access cover exist in this area or not, Presumably, it would be accessible from the inside of the car though...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 01:40 PM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
I'm going to have to poke around tonight to see if the access is via the side panel covers or rear facing plastic which is not on my radar of what access cover exist in this area or not, Presumably, it would be accessible from the inside of the car though...
If you find one, let us know, I've looked before but found nothing obvious. You cannot physically open the bottom tailgate without first opening the top one. I just scanned through the manual, didn't see anything about a manual release for it
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 01:56 PM   #5
chefwong
Major
Rep

The OP was for my own WIKI but I have nary a clue if there are side covers where the latch is - and even if it is, can pry it and remove it from the inside....which I need to visually see..but based on the linked PDF, that's where I plan to start looking to correlate

My read on the socket to turn is that it's just manually turning the engagement of the latch. But blind discussion at this point
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 02:16 PM   #6
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

What would be the need for an emergency hatch release given that the cargo area is not enclosed?
      01-16-2024, 02:20 PM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The OP was for my own WIKI but I have nary a clue if there are side covers where the latch is - and even if it is, can pry it and remove it from the inside....which I need to visually see..but based on the linked PDF, that's where I plan to start looking to correlate

My read on the socket to turn is that it's just manually turning the engagement of the latch. But blind discussion at this point
You're referring to this latch, right? Looks to me like that is only for the lower tailgate section. The lower gate cannot open if the upper tailgate section is still latched to it. Are you thinking that by turning that hex screw, it will also unlatch the upper tailgate? I don't see how unless the lower tailgate cable also connects to the center latch on that lower tailgate, ref center latch in the other pic. Anyway, let us know, would be great if it did!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 03:17 PM   #8
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1836 View Post
What would be the need for an emergency hatch release given that the cargo area is not enclosed?
The OP is probably thinking about the easiest way to replace the battery if it dies. For that I would probably use jumpers under to hood to get some juice and then open the hatch that way.

I originally thought his question was how to unlock the vehicle if the battery is dead. My answer would have been to use the mechanical key but after some research I have seen that it depends on having power in order to unlock the door. Anyone have any experience with that?
      01-16-2024, 03:55 PM   #9
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
The OP is probably thinking about the easiest way to replace the battery if it dies. For that I would probably use jumpers under to hood to get some juice and then open the hatch that way.

I originally thought his question was how to unlock the vehicle if the battery is dead. My answer would have been to use the mechanical key but after some research I have seen that it depends on having power in order to unlock the door. Anyone have any experience with that?
That would be nuts. This shows it opens the door sans power.
      01-16-2024, 03:58 PM   #10
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1836 View Post
That would be nuts. This shows it opens the door sans power.
That was for a previous generation. Supposedly the G05 uses electric actuators for the door locking and they require power. I will have to look into it and see if I can track anything down.

Edit: I have not found anything definitive on it but have found numerous folks who mention having a dead battery and none of them mentioned the key not working to unlock the door. I would have to assume some of them had their's locked when the battery died.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 01-16-2024 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 05:24 PM   #11
chefwong
Major
Rep

Marty -

On the pic posted with the lower latches, herein lies one detail aside from whether it will open or not. IME, the cover is front facing (bottom hatch) is still covering one side of the cover. Usually those covers Pry Out and they pry forward (with hatch down) so you can remove it. Unless of course by design they mean one needs to destroy the cover/make a hole from the inside if one ever required access.

I'll need to check this out.....
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 05:28 PM   #12
KLCC
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: x40i BMW individual

I have a different question regarding the PDF: Is the 'technical training' content publicly available information? If so, where can one typically find this source?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 05:34 PM   #13
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Years ago, I learned the hard lesson when I was modding....disconnected the battery in the rear, closed the trunk....like the idiot that I was. Even putting power up front would have not helped as the batter was physically disconnected.
In the scenario presented in your quote above…the thing to do is keep the BST (battery safety terminal) connected to the positive battery cable when you pull the positive cable off the battery terminal.

This keeps the engine bay positive battery cable connected to the power/fuse boxes. So if you still need to power the hatch…you can connect a power source to the engine bay terminals and still have power even though the battery has been removed or the cables have been disconnected.

You can get a visual in the illustration below of the e53 X5…were you can see the positive battery cable run from the engine bay back to the battery and power/fuse boxes. Again, as long as you don’t disconnect the BST away from the positive cable…the engine bay terminals remain hot. And if you disconnect the negative battery cable…then true ground comes from using the dedicated jump start ground terminal in the engine bay, too.

And if you have a positive battery connection similar to the one below from my f06 6 series…again, you have to be sure to only loosen the nuts/bolts that allow you to slip the red connector up and off the terminal…but keeps the positive cable connected to the fuse boxes so if you need to supply power to the vehicle…you can use the jump start terminals in the engine bay. If memory serves correct (it was 1 year ago I replaced the battery) I only had to undo the nut & screw that was below the top two areas circled in green on the left side. The other connections did not require disconnection to replace the battery…the whole thing slipped up and off once those two previously mentioned nuts were loosened.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 05:52 PM   #14
chefwong
Major
Rep

I looked at the G05 Chassis Latch Cover. As expected as I was just keyboard warrior typing before, but the cover is a L and it does get removed front facing, with the hatch down. So if the hatch was still up, in order to -engage- the hex access as depicted, I think one will need to destructively make a hole in the cover if from the inside if there was no power.

Not going to bother removing/testing it to see what it does or doesn't do (upper latch), because I can't think of a scenario where I if I needed to do that, I would have the tools on hand to make a hole or a socket with the appropriate sized hex bit, etc, etc. Maybe to satisfy my curiosity, regardless, I should remove the cover and turn it and see what it does
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 08:54 AM   #15
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I looked at the G05 Chassis Latch Cover. As expected as I was just keyboard warrior typing before, but the cover is a L and it does get removed front facing, with the hatch down. So if the hatch was still up, in order to -engage- the hex access as depicted, I think one will need to destructively make a hole in the cover if from the inside if there was no power.

Not going to bother removing/testing it to see what it does or doesn't do (upper latch), because I can't think of a scenario where I if I needed to do that, I would have the tools on hand to make a hole or a socket with the appropriate sized hex bit, etc, etc. Maybe to satisfy my curiosity, regardless, I should remove the cover and turn it and see what it does
That's what I was thinking as I read your post, BEFORE the need arises to gain access into the rear of the car without power, try the hex bolt with an alan key just to see how it works, what it does, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 09:57 AM   #16
chefwong
Major
Rep

Yeah, just to satisfy my own curiosity but in the event of....it's not like I'm going to fold the rear seats, than have something already present to smash a hole, then have a hex key or hex socket and wrench, ready , willing and able to turn it........well, in the event of.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 10:35 AM   #17
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, just to satisfy my own curiosity but in the event of....it's not like I'm going to fold the rear seats, than have something already present to smash a hole, then have a hex key or hex socket and wrench, ready , willing and able to turn it........well, in the event of.
Right. If the hatch refused to open for some reason and someone needed to get under the cargo floor cover to get their spare tire, tools, or the battery, etc, you cannot do that by putting the rear seats down and crawling in since the cargo floor opens only from the rear of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 05:35 PM   #18
chefwong
Major
Rep

Terrible analogy of having what's on hand_being prepared for the what ifs

I have 2 canvas bags prepped. one with a booster pack. Another bag that has a cordless inflator, vise grip, and 2 different style plug tools. reamer and plugs....

I've taken them outside of the car so many times I needed trunk space, that I don't even have them in the car unless we go o a extended trip

One day I'll probably be on the side of the road awaiting roadside since I didn't bother to keep my emergency kit on hand

Last edited by chefwong; 01-17-2024 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 06:09 PM   #19
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Terrible analogy of having what's on hand_being prepared for the what ifs

I have 2 canvas bags prepped. one with a booster pack. Another bag that has a cordless inflator, vise grip, and 2 different style plug tools. reamer and plugs....

I've taken them outside of the car so many times I needed trunk space, that I don't even have them in the car unless we go o a extended trip

One day I'll probably be on the side of the road awaiting roadside since I didn't bother to keep my emergency kit on hand
I keep all that stuff under the cargo floor, do you have an e?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 06:44 PM   #20
chefwong
Major
Rep

No E. Summer Tars = Runflats
Spare is there...

Ha. I know one day, it will be a 90 degree day, either changing to the spare or waiting 3-4-5 for a tow, when I could easily nixed the problem in 15 minutes...
I sure as heck ain't changing a spare on the freeway.......I literally see an accident almost every time I'm on the road these days. And it's not breakdowns....it's like 2-3 cars, some upside down, others turns 360, etc
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 09:01 AM   #21
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No E. Summer Tars = Runflats
Spare is there...

Ha. I know one day, it will be a 90 degree day, either changing to the spare or waiting 3-4-5 for a tow, when I could easily nixed the problem in 15 minutes...
I sure as heck ain't changing a spare on the freeway.......I literally see an accident almost every time I'm on the road these days. And it's not breakdowns....it's like 2-3 cars, some upside down, others turns 360, etc
ok, so you have the same space under the cargo floor as I. I carry all that in the car all the time. Yeah, well, if I ever need to change a tire while on a trip its going to be a PITA to remove everything from the cargo area to get to the spare and tools but at least I have that option. Then, where do I stuff the large wheel/tire if I can't plug it? I'll figure it out but at least I have the option

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 09:05 AM   #22
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
ok, so you have the same space under the cargo floor as I. I carry all that in the car all the time. Yeah, well, if I ever need to change a tire while on a trip its going to be a PITA to remove everything from the cargo area to get to the spare and tools but at least I have that option. Then, where do I stuff the large wheel/tire if I can't plug it? I'll figure it out but at least I have the option

My kit is a lot smaller.

Bogey9910.50
davchr80.50
WagonFan271.50
wrickem2101.00